Thread: Easy Hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park

Easy Hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park

Can anyone recommend any easy day hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park? My wife and I are heading there this weekend for our six year anniversary, and we would like to do a little hiking. But, since she's 26 weeks pregnant she can't do anything too strenuous. So, mostly what I'm looking for is short (2-3 miles) and relatively flat. Any drive-up campground recommendation inside the park would be appreciated, too.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I'd be better off posting this at UColorado.com.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Drive up to Bear Lake and hike around it. There is also a trail there to Nymph Lake, Dream Lake and Emerald Lake, depending on how far she can go. There is also a short walk around Sprague Lake.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Sorry to see that you've edited your recent posts, Scott. I've always found your advice and information to be an invaluable resource. I'd hate to think that some jerkwad is going to prevent you from contributing to the community.

For what it's worth, I think we will check out Chasm Lake this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Sorry to see that you've edited your recent posts, Scott. I've always found your advice and information to be an invaluable resource.
    Ditto
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Sorry to see that you've edited your recent posts, Scott. I've always found your advice and information to be an invaluable resource. I'd hate to think that some jerkwad is going to prevent you from contributing to the community.

For what it's worth, I think we will check out Chasm Lake this weekend.
    What happened to prompt this? I'm not here often enough to keep track...

Can anyone recommend any easy day hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park? My wife and I are heading there this weekend for our six year anniversary, and we would like to do a little hiking. But, since she's 26 weeks pregnant she can't do anything too strenuous. So, mostly what I'm looking for is short (2-3 miles) and relatively flat.

It has been 13 years since my wife was in a similar condition, but I recall that the standard medical thought at that time was that high altitude and pregnancy were not a good mix. Something to do with her supporting 2 lives and not enough oxygen to go around. might want to check with your doctor. The lowest trailhead in the park are in the 8,000 foot range with the Bear lake recommendation being up at about 9,400 feet.
    Ram

Not to hijack the thread but I heard something interesting the other day about RMNP. The current location of RMNP was actually a second choice. Initially, the Park Service want RMNP to be in the Silverton/Telluride/Chicago Basin area. However, there were too many private mining claims to make it feasible. Can you imagine that - another national park in the Four Corners area? Overall, I'm glad they didn't put the park in SW Colorado - it would have tied things down too much.

Anyway, just FYI.....
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    It has been 13 years since my wife was in a similar condition, but I recall that the standard medical thought at that time was that high altitude and pregnancy were not a good mix. Something to do with her supporting 2 lives and not enough oxygen to go around. might want to check with your doctor. The lowest trailhead in the park are in the 8,000 foot range with the Bear lake recommendation being up at about 9,400 feet.
    Ram
    Yeah, my wife's pregnancy hysteria...err...information book says that pregnant women shouldn't spend extended time over 5,000 feet. It's a good thing we don't have a second story on our house, otherwise she couldn't go up there.

We asked her doctor, and he said that unless she's going to basecamp he wouldn't be concerned about her spending a few days at elevation.

Hiking? I thought all you did was read books on vacation. Especially considering the wife is prego....