Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11 Year Old Boy Killed by Bear

11 Year Old Boy Killed by Bear

I heard on the news this morning that an 11 year-old boy was killed by a bear last night while camping in American Fork Canyon. I didn't even know we had bear in the Wasatch until the bear eating a deer post in this forum a few weeks ago.

[quote=Associated Press]
    Boy attacked in tent and killed by black bear near campground
    Associated Press

AMERICAN FORK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Very Scarey and sad!

Sad story, I have been following it all morning.

There are lots of black bears up there.

Was that bear that attacked that dear in Utah County area as well? Bears usually arn't predators so it makes me wonder if it was the same bear.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller
    Was that bear that attacked that dear in Utah County area as well? Bears usually arn't predators so it makes me wonder if it was the same bear.
    I was wonder that, too. But, the bear in bear that ate the deer in some guy's backyard was down in Woodland Hills (south of Spanish Fork Canyon), and this was in American Fork Canyon. I don't know what a black bear's range is, but that seems like too long of a distance.

I was just up at Little Deer Creek Campground a week ago..... just around the corner.

What should we do to protect ourselves? Besides the obvious of not sleeping with food, and keeping a clean camp. Would a gun helped at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ericchile
    I was just up at Little Deer Creek Campground a week ago..... just around the corner.

What should we do to protect ourselves? Besides the obvious of not sleeping with food, and keeping a clean camp. Would a gun helped at all?
    Nothing you can do really. It is extremely rare to be attacked by a black bear. Kind of like getting struck by lightning....it happens, but not so often that you should worry about it. I'm more worried about getting into the more likely auto accident.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I used to sell bear-sized canister of pepper spray. I never actually tried to use it on a bear, so I can't attest to it's efficacy, but the manufacturer claimed to turn back bears as far as 50 meters away, even with a headwind of 20-30 MPH. Although, in this case I doubt it would have helped since the kid probably never saw the bear coming.

When I was younger I had a neighbor who was attacked by a bear while she was sleeping in her tent trailer. The thing ripped through the canvas wall, and grabbed her by the head. Her grandfather who was on the other end of the trailer heard what was happening, ran outside, and hit the damn thing over the snout with a big 5 D-cell Maglite. After a few hits the bear took off.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    When I was younger I had a neighbor who was attacked by a bear while she was sleeping in her tent trailer. The thing ripped through the canvas wall, and grabbed her by the head. Her grandfather who was on the other end of the trailer heard what was happening, ran outside, and hit the damn thing over the snout with a big 5 D-cell Maglite. After a few hits the bear took off.
    I heard this story last friday, where were they camping?

I was wonder that, too. But, the bear in bear that ate the deer in some guy's backyard was down in Woodland Hills (south of Spanish Fork Canyon), and this was in American Fork Canyon. I don't know what a black bear's range is, but that seems like too long of a distance.[/quote]
    It's not uncommon for bears to travel that far it could very well be the same bear. And maybe not.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

WEll, they think they got the bear: http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_6168961

However, if there are so many bears up there, how do they know that this is the one?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Why are people camping up there if Black Bears are all over?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    However, if there are so many bears up there, how do they know that this is the one?
    Good thing bears can't sue

They'll know when they eventually open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by shanehadman
    Hmmm, good point. Why do people continue to drive when there are cars all over the place?

Shit happens and you try to learn from it. We can all speculate about an open bag of Doritos or a Subway pastrami on wheat bread laying next to the kid.

It's an unfortunate occurance. Won't keep me away.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    We can all speculate about an open bag of Doritos or a Subway pastrami on wheat bread laying next to the kid.
    its fairly common knowledge that bears do like wheat bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    We can all speculate about an open bag of Doritos or a Subway pastrami on wheat bread laying next to the kid.
    its fairly common knowledge that bears do like wheat bread.
    Apparently, they like 11-yr-old boys better...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

LMAO The media is retarded as usual. Chanel 2 had a news headline saying Bear Attack! with a pic of a grizzly.

Anyways condolences to the family. That is a crappy way to end Father's day week-end.
    Let's Roll

It's not like they're camping inside a bear's den. Sheesh... That's like never getting in any body of water for fear of snapping turtles, sharks, & the like. I feel bad for the kid's family, I really do, but I think the state is doing the proper thing in destroying the trouble animal and letting life go on. Just one more reason to up the number of black bear tags.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    I used to sell bear-sized canister of pepper spray. I never actually tried to use it on a bear, so I can't attest to it's efficacy, but the manufacturer claimed to turn back bears as far as 50 meters away, even with a headwind of 20-30 MPH. Although, in this case I doubt it would have helped since the kid probably never saw the bear coming.

Bo brings bear spray along when we are hiking after we ran face to face with a mountain lion. I have yet to see a bear though!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpiler_Utahn
    It's not like they're camping inside a bear's den.
    Dont forget there were Grizzlies here in utah until 1920's.