Thread: First "family" camping trip

First "family" camping trip

Taking the family camping for the first time next weekend (6/21). The kids are 1 and 3.

I don't normally go to "improved" camp grounds, but my wife is pretty insistent that we do this time with the kids.

Any good recomendations for kid friendly camping places in Northern Utah?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Can you be more specific then Northern Utah? Where are you starting from and how far are you willing to go? Are you going to be hiking with the little ones?

With this group northern Utah will get you a lot of good ideas. So you may want to give us a few specifics.

We are in Taylorsville. Within an hour or so would be ideal. An easy hike would be good (easy for a 3 year old, I would have the 1 year old on my back)

Thanks for all your help

Maybe up Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon, you would have to make reservations though for camping.

I would suggest maple canyon, If you don't have a HCV you will need to make a reservation in the camp ground (do it soon they go quick).
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgr...&parkCode=mapt

Here is my trip report from a few weeks ago http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6971

Places I've been with my kids (at similar ages) that were great:

-The Spruces (Big Cottonwood)
    -Tanner's Flat (Little Cottonwood)
    -Affleck Park (East Canyon)
    -Rock Cliff Campground up the east end of Jordanelle was cool too. There are a few great sites by the river. You have to walk a ways in, so with that young of kids, it may be a bit far-ish, but it's been one of my favorites.
    -There's a campground up Provo Canyon, past Sundance, just past Aspen Grove that is awesome too, but I can't think of the name right now.

Most of these places reservations are recommended, but they do have a certain number of walk-in sites. I've always had luck with the walk-ins, but it really depends on what day of the week and time of day you show up.

Hope that helps. I'd be happy to elaborate on any of those if it'll be helpful.

Russ