Thread: A Celebration In Honor of All Fathers

Bogley BigShot

A Celebration In Honor of All Fathers

Happy Father's Day!

Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!
    Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington. At about the same time in various towns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day." In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.
    Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all honored on Father's Day.

http://www.holidays.net/father/story.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the history, Tanya. I thought Starbucks was the first good thing to come out of Washington. (I am currently visiting the state of Washington, so the history lesson may come in handy.)
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot
    I always like to take a peek when a holiday comes around and see just what started it all.

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    ... Starbucks...

Neat info, Tanya - thanks. And a happy day to all fathers, father figures, and male role models.