Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moab, Colorado River, Bounty and Arches

Moab, Colorado River, Bounty and Arches

Between Life and death in Bountiful Canyon

A few months a go a close friend approached me with interest of spending a week in the Moab area, a group of mutual friends wanted to do some white water rafting and some rappelling, along with the usual trips to well known arches and such. In my many years of adventure seeking I had never done white water in a raft. I have done some incredible class threes in open canoes, but never a raft. So I was excited.
    I left my friend in charge of securing the rafting equipment and I set out to find the perfect slot canyon. As most of you know good beta on slot canyons comes at a price. $25.00 to join the circle of friends seems to be a reasonable price to get the information necessary to find a good canyon and necessary information to plan a successful trip. You can call me a cheep B@s!@rd. or just recognize that to some people $25. bucks is still a lot of money. So I decided to forgo the expense and just Google until I found a good canyon and fly by the seat of my pants the rest of the way. After some searching I choose Bounty, (Dragonfly) inside Arches National Park. It seemed to promise all the thrills of a good canyon, including a good hike, some water, and two good rappels. I have done plenty of rappelling but not enough canyons to really know what I was getting my self into.
    Day one, travel and some warm up rappels after we got camp set up I found a nice 50 footer on the cliffs east of the river with a good overhang so the guys could experience around 30 foot of free hanging. No problems every one loved it.

Day Two, as I said above I am no stranger to white water and after several trips in open canoes the raft was less exciting but still plenty of fun. It
    See you on the Trail

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Day one Rappelling
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    See you on the Trail

4. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Day two Rafting And rainbow Arch.
    See you on the Trail

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Day 3 Bounty Canyon
    See you on the Trail

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    More Bounty
    See you on the Trail

10. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Day 4 Arches
    See you on the Trail

thanks for sharing...buy some helmet

everything about your story scares me

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    thanks for sharing...buy some helmet

everything about your story scares me
    Same here! My palms sweat just reading this! Glad everything worked out. Thanks for sharing.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Wow, this could have been really bad. glad you made it out ok

Wow, should have invested that 25 bucks

Bounty is a wonderful canyon for beginners, you get everything, pot holes, raps, long raps and navigation skills and best of all, it's near Moab

I am very happy to hear the good end to this story, but you have taken a lot of risk and took newbies down with out prep, scary!

From my personal experience with new people to any adrenaline rushing sport is never to drag people to it. If someone is interested in it, tell them the basic gear they'd need (for canyoneering, a helmet, harness, belay device, 2 bieners, a pack and good shoes). For rafting I have my own guidelines I follow. If the new person is really interested, he/she would be ready with all the gear and mind set.

Glad everything worked out ok though!

Well, I can't point the finger of blame towards Scoutmaster here without having three fingers pointing back at me! When I started out canyoneering, I didn't have a harness, no good shoes, no helmet, no backpack, and I used borrowed ropes and belay devices from the guys I went with at the time...in other words, EXTREMELY ill prepared! I can recall doing trips through The Squeeze where we were all outfitted in "swiss seat" webbing harnesses, and ONE (yes ONE - 1) figure 8 between six of us!!!!

I've come a long way since then, but my point being that sometimes it's good to go get a taste of the sport first before going out and investing all the required $$$ on gear you may not use down the road.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Justin, you are absolutely right, but a sport like canyoneering doesn't give second chances. When it comes to biking or fishing, sure you can experience all you want, but with raps, it only takes one false anchor. You should know better than me when it comes to that topic, I am a total noob in canyoneering really.

From my outdoor experience, I have learned that if I want to enjoy the sport the way it's intended, go out and spend the money. For me, it's just not worth settling for half assed home made crap if I can go to REI and get all the nice stuff that will keep me safe.

When I guide personal trips and in charge of one, I don't allow people come with me if they don't understand the potential risk and don't have the basic gear. It's just not worth the hassle and worry from my side as a leader.

Hell, the first time you and Shane took me out, you made me spend like $200 bucks....plus the jerky/Gatorade expenses!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    and investing all the required $$$ on gear you may not use down the road.
    ...that's why you shop in REI, where have you been the last 20 years????

dear scoutmaster,
    i am sorry you did not get a good fun there
    i was in the exploration team that named the canyon bounty.
    we did in april
    we had a thing called topographic map, that usually help with navigation, we dis whithout wetsuit and water was cold but short swimming
    the canyon is pretty staight forward
    and beside poison ivy there are not any trouble.
    size wise usually is posted a warning only if is thighter than 180lbs, so we did not think about putting a warning because to have problem there you need to be over 200and that is another story.
    I agree the fact that beside is a beginner canyon, taking 11 people no experience whatsoever and not enough harbnesses and not enough belay device , was pretty unwise.
    glad everythin is ok
    but i discourage you to do any technical canyon from the circle of friend until you do not get a little more experience
    same situation in a more serious canyon can lead to big consequences.
    the best will start with liddle wild horse canyon
    bells canyons subway
    and when you get some skills keyhole

slot canyoneer need to be take as a sport a little more seriously
    also help to take a class from desert highlight and spend 100$ but saving your God-bonus for more important thing.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    congrats on the trip--kinda

I'm new also but I did pay my redtail fees to Shane.

(or was that booze and women fees?)

The one picture of the guy with the beard tied into the anchor

is enough to scare me.(it's like name the # of things wrong in this pic)

ok i got 4 for now
    1 not wearing an helmet
    2 using a pink harness from the 80s that is more than 20 years old
    3 attaching to the chain using a cheap utility biner from homedepot not rated for human weight
    4 having all the clutter of packs camera attach to the same anchor from where you rapell
    other can be the rope you rappel from i not attached to the anchor but to a bunch of biner including the home depot one
    and less extend the bear is not in a sort of pony tail with rubber band and is not keeped out of the way from rappelling
    the locking biner seems to have the locking part low in the "open " position

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7

Most folks know that we've never disclosed the locations of the canyons we guide. Sorry if this has upset people in the past. In part it's because we've always enjoyed the relative obscurity of these places and the lack of crowding is a nice quality for guiding beginners. A larger part for us, however, is fearing that such broadbanding of info will lead to resource damage or an accident which could jeapordize our delicate relationship with local land managers.

We've guided Dragonfly since '98 and Tierdrop since '00. No incidents and the National Park Service has always been satisfied with our stewardship. Now, free internet beta for these two canyons is barely a month old, yet we've already seen Tierdrop Canyon's anchors get trashed (see attached photos). At least one group has pulled their ropes directly around all our rappel anchors and created major grooves and burns. Grooving the rock below the anchor is an eyesore at worse, but grooving and burning the anchor itself is a very real safety hazard for those of us who are in there day after day. Six years of guiding with over a thousand clients and no damage; now this after one month... Sigh.

Now we hear that a scoutmaster actually felt the need to pray to God while fearing for his kids' lives in Dragonfly Canyon - not because of circumstances beyond their control, but because of being ill-equipped and inexperienced. Would he have been there without that beta? I doubt it. And crossing a "Not A Trail" sign with a dozen scouts!?

These are the things we fear and why we've never disclosed locations. Don't forget that Arches is not Zion. The park's officials are leery, at best, of canyoneering. It's taken several years, but we've developed a good, trusting relationship with park officials. However, we're still not sitting pretty with an iron-clad 20 year concession contract, either. Our permit is up for review and scrutinized every year. A rescue of an inexperienced scout group or a few photos in the Zephyr of a bunch of rope grooves won't bode well for canyoneering in the park - regardless of whether you're commercial or private.

Sorry Scoutmaster to lump all of this with your thread. I'm glad your day was without incident and, I suspect, that they all had a great time.

Be careful out there!

Thanks,
    Moab Matt
    Desert Highlights

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    ok i got 4 for now
    1 not wearing an helmet
    2 using a pink harness from the 80s that is more than 20 years old
    3 attaching to the chain using a cheap utility biner from homedepot not rated for human weight
    4 having all the clutter of packs camera attach to the same anchor from where you rapell
    other can be the rope you rappel from i not attached to the anchor but to a bunch of biner including the home depot one
    and less extend the bear is not in a sort of pony tail with rubber band and is not keeped out of the way from rappelling
    the locking biner seems to have the locking part low in the "open " position

not sure what the figure of 8 knot is holding---hopefully not a human

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7

I fully planned to get lots of "advice" after this experience or or I would not have posted this report. So bring it on.

Ya thats me in the picture

Helmets, I agree. we should have had them. I plan to get some.

Cheep beaners. I agree, they were just for extra protection while I hooked every one up my feet never left the ground with them. I will get rid of them.

The pack is my Camel back. I was hooked there for 2.5 hours It was nice to have some water. It was not in the way

Never at any time was any person at any additional risk than any other canyoneer passing through this canyon. I was there to be sure everyone was safe.

There are two separate sets of anchors in the wall. The two I was hooked to and two more for the rappelling rope

Ya My harness is kinna pink. But it is still in excellent condition and not that old.
    See you on the Trail

Now we hear that a scoutmaster actually felt the need to pray to God while fearing for his kids' lives in Dragonfly Canyon - not because of circumstances beyond their control, but because of being ill-equipped and inexperienced. Would he have been there without that beta? I doubt it. And crossing a "Not A Trail" sign with a dozen scouts!?
    Hey Praying is always a good thing but you were right I was Ill Equipped and inexperienced. My inexperience was however just with blind canyons I have experience in over a thousand rappels

It was not a dozen scouts It was 10 adults
    See you on the Trail