Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a GPS?

Suggest a GPS?

I think my little yellow Garmin eTrex has finally bit the dust. It did everything I needed in a GPS except interface through a USB port..... so... I want to replace my yellow Garmin eTrex. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I Just bought a blue Garmin E-trex (Legend) to replace my worn out E-trex Vista. I think it is a good value.

Does it interface with a USB port? I can't really use the COM ports on my computer because I run digitizers.

Magellan eXplorist 210. I've had mine for a little over a year, and I LOVE it. My father-in-law has an eTrex, and I really prefer my display, menus, etc. Oh, and the USB (even though it's just a USB masquerading as a COM port - still plugs in the easy way, doesn't require a nasty little serial port.)

If you knew and loved your eTrex, maybe you're not after changing, but I'm just putting it out there. I don't know why the Garmin dominates in this market segment. (I know nothing about bigger, colour, expensive - I just want small, light, basic but reliable and versatile.) The Magellan eXplorist 210 is an excellent product.

YMMV, IMHO, standard disclaimers apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Does it interface with a USB port? I can't really use the COM ports on my computer because I run digitizers.
    No, it comes with a cable but it has a DE-9 connector to plug into your computer. It does seem outdated

I have had no major problems with either of my Garmin GPSs. I had an eTrex Vista, and now have upgraded to a 60CSx.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'm happy with my 60Cx, newer model but without the barometric altimeter and compass. Links to the computer and uses micro SD chips for storage.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

If your yellow eTrex was all that you needed, then the Garmin GPS 60 is probably perfect. It's the most basic of the 60 series, with no mapping capabilities (though it does show waypoints, tracks, and towns/cities on the map page), and it does have a USB interface. Amazon.com has them for $155 right now. It's what I use, and I don't need anything fancier.
    Blog | FB

Shane, Marc and I both have Garmin Vista C, they work well over USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Shane, Marc and I both have Garmin Vista C, they work well over USB.
    I don't think Marc's works very well, he took some waypoints for me after mine broke down and I have never seen them.

Hey Marc.... you ever going to send me those waypoints? I think Shagster has a waypoint I also want to check....

Thanks for the recommendations so far.... I'll check them all out before buying a new one. I just didn't even know where to start looking and figured you guys would do a little of my homework for me.

I had my rino 530 for a month now and love it. It is a bit heavier than the E-trex units but worth the extra weight. It has 2-way radio, 7 weather channels, I can send my current position to other rino users. I B Happy camper!

Doh!! I have a rino 530!!! not "had"

I heard good things of Rinos GPSs, though the weight issue might hold you back. I think it would be an awesome option for when you need to communicate with a person at the bottom of a rap, like Heaps?

Shane, just get it at REI, if you don't like for any reason, they will be happy to let you try another one. REI = Return Efficiency Indicator

The Rhino is to heavy for my tastes. I want something about the size of an eTrex or smaller. If the Legend does USB ports I might just get one of those. My biggest issue at the moment is time..... I have a lot on my plate right now and don't really have the time to research and test different units.

I do have a second yellow eTrex but its a newer model and doesn't work nearly as well as my older model. I bought my first eTrex about the day they were introduced. By the time I bought my second I think they cheapened them up some because it doesn't get a sat lock in nearly as many places as my 1st generation.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I've got a e-trex summit thats tired.

I'm buying the new delorme

I ahvent read all the past replies but if you want the BEST GPS there is for anyone who needs one for outdoor activites go with teh GPS Map 60CSX. There are tons of reasons why but the biggest is the fact that is the only GPS I have seen the does not lose its signal in heavy tree cover or slot canyons.

I finally got around to getting mine, and today I was hiking in Milcreek where my legend had lost signal for a 1/2 mile stretch today the 60CSX never dropped below 20' accuracy.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

Quote Originally Posted by caverspencer
    GPS Map 60CSX.
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 482.13 USD

I don't require the best or most expensive..... I have a tendency to destroy things in the canyons. As I said before.... my yellow eTrex was more then enough. I just hate that I had to plug it into a serial port and not a USB port.

I don't require the best or most expensive..... I have a tendency to destroy things in the canyons. As I said before.... my yellow eTrex was more then enough. I just hate that I had to plug it into a serial port and not a USB port.
    It's pretty simple to get a serial/usb conversion cable. I use one for exactly this reason--my garmin gps has a serial cable but my laptop doesn't have a serial port--and got the cable at radio shack for about $25.

Etrex

I have a yellow Etrex and I can't get it to interface at all with the Delorme mapping software I use, I checked the cables and they communicate with the computer just fine but the yellow etrex won't connect. I have used the same mapping software with an Etrex Vista that uses USB connections and it was so smooth in interfacing that I just got even madder at my little yellow one.
    In my opinion a good GPS that interfaces seamlessly with a computer is a good investment that makes the price worth it. A compass and map is essential, but being able to download waypoints pre-trip can prevent mistakes and make a trip a lot less stressful.

By the way how do you get a yellow etrex to connect with software? I have all the right cables with usb/serial converters. It seems the Etrex wasn't made with interfacing with computers in mind.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caverspencer
    GPS Map 60CSX.
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 482.13 USD

There are probalby several people in these forums that could hook you up. If you find the right people you can get a 60CSX with Map Source TOPO USA for under $300. One of the many benefeits of being involed with SAR and knowing people who work in the outdoor industry professionally.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching