Thread: Yoga

Yoga

Is anyone into yoga? I took a few classes several years ago and have now just gotten back into it. I'm too cheap to pay for another class plus I don't know of any decent classes up here in Heber. So I went looking for a podcast.

The podcast I found is great. It's called yogamazing. I really like the instructor and he gears the sessions towards certain areas like the neck & shoulders, back, and even some for anxiety, skiers, and gardners. Each session is anywhere from 20-30 min. I like to do two of them at a time and pick which ones I feel like I need. The best part is it's free!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've never done yoga, but I'm curious about it. What benefits have you seen from it? Mental state? Physical? Is it just about stretching?

I love yoga! I always feel better when I'm practicing regularly, even if its just 20 minutes a day.

That podcast sounds great, I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

I love it too, though I am not good about doing it as often as I should. I find it soothing and strengthening. -R

I'm on the Atkins Diet, so I'm off of Yogurt for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    I've never done yoga, but I'm curious about it. What benefits have you seen from it? Mental state? Physical? Is it just about stretching?
    What benefits haven't I seen?

I do it first thing in the morning. The rest of the day goes much better for me. The reason is yoga puts me in a good mood. It's refreshing. Mentally I get my mind cleared of things I don't need to be thinking about during the day. I can clear my mind and be prepared for what I need to focus on.

Physically yoga focuses on overall core strength. I've noticed huge improvements already in everything I do all day. My posture is getting nice and straight and my balance is getting better. I've had a bad back which included two herniated discs 6-7 years ago. I have very little trouble with it now. Also, as part of the bad back my hips were out of alignment, they are now starting to align again. I have a seperated shoulder and once again it's gaining strength. Most of my tendons in my right ankle are shot and the flexibility of my ankle was terrible, it's much better now. Most people associate yoga with good flexibility which is true. I consider flexibility an important factor in core strength and getting your bones to align.

I could go on and on.

I suggest getting a good book to read if you're a begginer. There is a lot to learn when it comes to knowing what to do with your body in each pose. You also need to learn to breath correctly.

Yogurt is a sport I prefer to watch.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Yogurt is a sport I prefer to watch.

I figure I should get into it (I totally believe the benefits), I just have such an odd schedule that it would be hard to take a regular class, and I can't imagine having the discipline to do it on my own without a regular class...

I do yoga now and then. There is a free class up on USU campus, but it's 10:30 on a Wed. and that's just a bad time to get away from work/school for me.

It really is like a strengthening workout. I guarantee you'll use muscles you didn't know you had! It makes for a strong core which is good for any outdoor sport. Can alleviate pains in your back by strengthening the muscles.

After a class you do feel quite relaxed, your mind is cleared, almost restful state.

Also, there is a way to breath with the movements. You don't hold your breath and each movement has an inhale or exhale (or at elast the type of yoga I've been taught).

I can do yoga on my own but it's more like stretching. To get the relaxed cleared mental feeling I need to go where there's an instructor.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum