Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 28th Ibapah Peak

July 28th Ibapah Peak

I am planning to hike Ibapah peak on Saturday July 28th. I will head out through Wendover Friday the 27th and camp somewhere in Granite Creek so we can get an early start to get the summit and down before it gets to hot.

This date is somewhat flexible so if you would like to go but cant make it that weekend please post a note with what weekend works for you.

I will post more exact details as the date gets closer.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, Im as good as in for this. I need to get this peak. I have Kings Gilbert and Signal under my belt this is the last 'hard' one to get.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Ibapah

Count me in. I want to get this one also, so maybe we could have a good group together.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

I might be game as well, it's still aways away for me to nail down though.

Gotta ask the wife ( ), but put me down as a "potential".

I am thinking about bumping this one back until fall when things cool down out there. let me know you think?

Also I hear rumor of a closer route? I am all ears!

I planned my route based on: http://www.cohp.org/ut/Juab_7.html

Trip Date

I am good for any time. The summer does seem like a really hot time to go, but I like to suffer. From what I have been reading, Ibapah isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, I think a September date would be great time to do it.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

since the date is getting a bit closer its time to bring this thread back to life.

Does anyone know exactly how far one can drive up Granite creek?
    I have heard a lot of different reports.

Does anyone know Dale Millsap and have any idea how I could contact him?

Sounds like July 28th weekend is still the preferred date. From what I have read it is a pretty well forested area. We should be in the trees for a lot of the trip until we get close to the summit. Im still game for the 28th, I will just bring a lot of water.

sounds like about 8 people are either planing on coming or consdiering coming. So after people begin to back out we should have at least 3 or 4 people on the hike.

I requested the time off today... So I am in, unless I can't get coverage.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'm out. I forgot that I'm hiking Mt. Whitney that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    I'm out. I forgot that I'm hiking Mt. Whitney that weekend.
    That is best excuse you could come up with? You act like Mt whitney is some big deal.. Like its the highest high point in the US or something...

Surely you can come up with a better excuse than that...

Sounds like fun. We will be sure and think of you being about 4000 feet higher than us when we celebrate our little victory down below.

Quote Originally Posted by caverspencer

Have you read by TR from last year? Find it here: I love Ibapah!

Last year you couldn

I will plan on it as I said before. It may be advantageous to meet up in Salt Lake to carpool out. If everyone works like I do till 5:00 than we could do something like that, if not we can meet in Granite Creek.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

I am taking friday and sat off work, so I am game for most anything.
    - Edward Abbey

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]

Have you read by TR from last year? Find it here: I love Ibapah!

Last year you couldn

James,

Good to hear from you! Tahnks for all your input. You answered just about everything I wanted to ask Dale. Dales trip report was the last one for Ibapah on the COHP page http://www.cohp.org/ut/Juab_7.html that is why I wanted to contact him.

My understanding is the trip is around 14.5 miles round trip, with 5700 feet of elevation gain. Does that sound about right?

by my 2mph plus an additional 30 minutes per 1000' of elevation gain calculations that puts the trip at 10 to 10 1/2 hours. Does that sound to long?

Also wondering about water. I Usually try not to carry much more than 3 liters. How high up can water be found and treated shoudl I run out?
    After reading Dale

Got the weekend off of work. Anyone in the Ogden area that would like someone to split gas money???
    - Edward Abbey

If anyone wants to carpool from Eagle Mountain I have room for 3. That probalby wouldnt work to well for Ogden area though.

My driving plan is to make a loop and either drive I-80 to wendover and down to Ibapah, and come back on the old Pony Express route or the reverse. Which I do first depends on who is riding with me and when we leave.

I work in West Valley close to I-80, so it would be easy for me to catch a ride with you Caverspencer. I think it would be awesome to do the loop. I have been out to Simpson Springs but haven't traversed the whole thing. I am game for anything, I like adventure.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Guys, I'm out now. Looks like I am heading to the Wind Rivers that weekend... Perhaps next time.