Thread: The Largest island in a lake on an island in a lake

The Largest island in a lake on an island in a lake

...and other such lake/island records, such as the largest island in a lake on an island. Maps and/or photos for each one.

http://www.elbruz.org/islands/Islands%20and%20Lakes.htm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is pretty clever!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    That is pretty clever!
    YOUR NAME CHANGED!!!!
    The man thong is wrong.

I had a teacher in high school that liked sea kayaking, and I remember him telling us about this river that linked the ocean to a lake. During high tide, the water would flow into the lake, and low tide it would flow back out. So you could go down stream both directions. Sounded pretty dang cool

Was it whitewater river? That does sound pretty neat

I can see your popularity at cocktail parties going waaaaaay up.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

How is it that I didn't already know this stuff. I am telling you, our education system sucks.
    ethical pursuit ethical kache

Re: The Largest island in a lake on an island in a lake

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    ...and other such lake/island records, such as the largest island in a lake on an island. Maps and/or photos for each one.

http://www.elbruz.org/islands/Islands%20and%20Lakes.htm
    Taal volcano and lake....cool deal, I visited those places during my little PI trip last year. So pretty i tell ya.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I had a teacher in high school that liked sea kayaking, and I remember him telling us about this river that linked the ocean to a lake. During high tide, the water would flow into the lake, and low tide it would flow back out. So you could go down stream both directions. Sounded pretty dang cool
    Sounds like my kind of river.

All this talk of lakes and islands made my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I visited the Skookumchuck Narrows Provincial park in BC Canada a few years ago, the park is famous for this phenomenon.

I found the sea life living in the shallow waters just as amazing as the tide flow.

http://www.hightidetours.com/skookum.htm
    From the site:

The second largest salt water rapids in the world, Skookumchuck Rapids boils as huge volumes of water force their way through Skookumchuck Narrows at the north end of Sechelt Inlet. Skookumchuck means 'strong water' or 'turbulent water' in Chinook.

The flow of the rapids can reach up to 14 knots in spring and summer during the greatest tide changes. On a 3 metre tide, 200 billion gallons of water flow through the narrows connecting Sechelt and Jervis Inlets. To fully appreciate the power of the water your tour should be scheduled to the larger tides. For rugged beauty and power an ebbing tide is preferred.

Kayakers are drawn here to experience the awesome, rated class 5, standing wave ocurring on a large flood tide. This is 1 of only 2 waves of this class in the world. Almost every large flood tide through the summer will see an increasing number of brightly colored kayaks.

Slack tides in the narrows offer a brief window for boats to navigate through to the other side. Low slack is a great time for exploring the intertidal areas. Caution is advised here as the water seldom ever attains true slack for more than moments. Slack is also the time for divers who wish to experience a dive that rates high in the top 10 dive locations in BC. Winter is preferred due to less dramatic tide changes and exceptionally clear water.

I've been to Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron. Rediculously large spiders and some pretty sweet Indian history up there. I recommend it. Tons of clearwater shipwrecks south of there. The most in the Great Lakes.