Thread: Has anyone been up to the Uintahs yet this year?

Has anyone been up to the Uintahs yet this year?

Has anyone been up to the Uintahs yet this year? Whats the snowpack like? Are the trails clear? We were thinking with the low reported snowpack we'd take the horses up and get a trip in this weekend -- a little earlier in the year than we'd typically head up there. We're thinking of coming in from the North Slope since we haven't visited that side before.

Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't been up yet, but from what I've heard, the snowpack is pretty much gone, with some muddy spots here and there. Rest assured last week's storm dropped some more, but I believe anything under 10,000 is certainly clear, and it there are spots up to 12,000 with some, making it kinda muddy.

Depending on how far in you go, I'd expect most of the accesses from the north slope to be very clear, until you get into the alpine basins, which is generally a good few miles of hiking.

Then again, I haven't heard anything since this last weeks storm, and I'm sure that dropped a foot or so up there...

If on foot, you may be OK, but I wouldn't take horses up there yet as they will muck up the trails since there is a lot of mud.

People are reporting that the trails have lots of mud. You can read several threads on Summitpost and other sites.

Of course, the lower elevations should be just fine for horses.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I believe my Dad was talking of going to Gibson Lake I believe. Has anyone been there or know the elevation?

Sorry about posting about a horse trip on a hiking forum... I forget that a lot of hikers are justifiably not to pleased with the horse people... but I don't want to start that debate up. I consider myself a hiker first and foremost and horseman when I'm with my Dad...

I believe my Dad was talking of going to Gibson Lake
    I thought I knew the Uintas pretty dang well, but where is Gibson Lake?

Anyway, I would bet that you would be fine below 10,000 feet, but it would be muddy above that. This is judging from what others have posted on SP and by the fact that the Uintas are pretty similar to the mountains in the area where I live.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hmmm. I was looking at a map with him last night and maybe i got the name wrong? Its off of a trailhead near Henry's Fork but not Henry's fork... something like Little Beaver... I'll look at the map and if its around or above 10K I'll suggest we do something different. Horses hate the mud more than hikers hate what horses do to a muddy trail! Thanks for the tip, Scott!

I was looking at a map with him last night and maybe i got the name wrong? Its off of a trailhead near Henry's Fork but not Henry's fork... something like Little Beaver...
    Perhaps Gilbert Lake from West Fork Beaver?

If so, it's a nice place. Not too many others about either.

If it is that one, I would bet that it would be pretty muddy up there now, but in 2 or 3 weeks, pretty dry.