Thread: boundary canyon

boundary canyon

well i was at a conference up at snobbird the week of memorial day and had plans to canyon with nat for the following weekend. originally the idea was to make our way to the swell to do a miner's rope/quandary loop + cable ... but early in the week, forcasted temps upwards of 100

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

it just keeps droppin'

deep and narrow ... the allure of zion

the release of the slot, to boundary's lush lower canyon

trees towering like zion walls, junction with kolob creek

kolob creek

kolob creek

kolob creek

kolob creek

douglas firs, high up on canyon wall

as deep as the water got along our route

we're in a desert?

kolob creek

MIA route

well ... we didn't have enough time to get back to the main canyon to get permits that night for the following morning ... so we decided to get up and see what they had. we'd originally talked about doing a full left fork from above the das boot entrance, but dylan and david we're kinda into something mellower for day 2 ... around camp we talked about possibilities. mystery sounded like a good choice. NOPE, permits out ... okay, well, it turned out a number of permits were not available for sunday, so we decided on good ol' pine creek, since it's a great and mellow canyon and david had never been.

however it turned out, for me, there was even a better, unforseeable reason to go. after the last rappel we started walking amonst the boulders down canyon. as i came around one, i noticed a ranger had walked up canyon, likely checking permits .... 'wait a minute', i thought ... 'no WAY'. i pushed over saying "is that who i think it is?" the ranger looked over and said "hey stefan." a crazy coincidence, running into a good buddy of mine i have known since high school, who's been a ranger (SAR/enforcement) moving from park to park, arches, capitol reef, canyonlands, joshua tree, yosemite, and now zion. since he recently moved to zion, he was on one of these one-time initiation hikes, as he usually wouldn't be hiking up the canyon ... quite random that our paths should meet ... cosmic, perhaps, considering we had no intention of being in pine creek that day. it's the little surprises like these that get me the most.

Pine Creek

diggin' on the wedged tree

lighted upper slot

slot following the cathedral rappel

glory from the heavens above? ... nah, it's just pine creek

rough seas

top of the exit rappel

ahh ... zion

david on the final rappel

david on the final rappel

dylan on the final rappel

Killer images Stefan. I'll be down there this weekend, gets me excited.

So you say flow was low in Kolob, eh? I've heard some rumblings that this 15 cfs flow is being exaggerated. Wuddya think after seeing it?

Nice TR.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Killer images Stefan. I'll be down there this weekend, gets me excited.

So you say flow was low in Kolob, eh? I've heard some rumblings that this 15 cfs flow is being exaggerated. Wuddya think after seeing it?

Nice TR.
    thanks dan,

umm ... we had heard mention of the 15 cfs. we asked about it on friday evening, and the ranger responded that the flow was about 3 cfs. looked like that the following day at the junction with kolob. so this at least matched up with what the ranger indicated ... but as i heard mentioned on canyons, the flow may fluctuate, so i suppose it's good to check it out with the park before one goes.

enjoy your trip on the terrace ...

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome Stuff!

Terriific pictures and TR. Zion Rocks!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Hmmm, havent done Boundary... adding to the list

thanks for sharing Stefan

Nice pics.

Boundary looks like a lot of fun, thanks for posting all the pictures. There are some great shots in there.

Looks Amazing !

thanks everyone. it was a good trip.

we used nat's beta, but tom jones has it his zion book and shane on his site.