Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 uUtah Canyoneering Trip - The Black Hole

2007 uUtah Canyoneering Trip - The Black Hole

Since us Monticellans are likely the only ones home at this point I thought I would start a thread where everyone could post their pics and thoughts. I believe we ended up having 22 people go through the Black Hole. Afterwards, many went on to do some other canyons. On the other hand, I came right home and bragged to my wife and kids - they were all duly impressed (that I survived.)

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who helped me (and others) through. As a noob, I needed some occasional help so THANKS to everyone. It was nice to put some faces to names. Thanks for putting this together. From my perspective it was a fantastic trip all around. I will definitely return. I heard several people say that the Black Hole had returned to its original "fun" state.

I know there will be lots of pics so I will only post a few of my faves. I am hoping that some other people got some good pics of the swimming and of the Black Hole itself. I would especially like to see a picture of the tiny tunnel we had to crawl down into and the swimming under the bridge section and the back flip. Here's hoping...

Anyway here are a couple of my pics to get the ball rolling. Thanks again to all for a fun and safe trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Black Hole has definitely resumed it's former glory -- and then some!! There were zero log jams, and the water was relatively clean (very little debris or organic material). The water was very cold through the Black Hole section, and I was very grateful for a wetsuit. There were numerous water sections above and below the Black Hole section, which kept things interesting. A new addition that I don't remember from the former glory days of the Black Hole is a "tunnel" section in the black hole itself, where you swim underneath a very large compacted mass of logs and rocks that completely blocks out the sun in that section, forming a swim-through tunnel. Very cool!! It took our group of 22 people 5 hours and 20 minutes from start to finish.

It was good to put faces to names, and I really had a blast on this trip. This was my fourth time through the Black Hole, and I think this one was by far the funnest trip yet. Great weather, great company, and all around great conditions.

We would like to maintain the tradition of a uUtah "noob-fest" every year, and I would like to ask folks to weigh in on how they felt about the trip, including suggestions for possible improvement.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I forgot to post this picture. If you look closely, you will see that RockGremlin is carrying no pack. Where is it? He made the little girl carry it through almost the entire canyon. I guess that is "noob initiation".
    The gostak distims the doshes.

I was shocked to see that many cars in the parking lot. We had made guesses that 10 would show up and there ended up being 22. I had a great time and would certainly like to do it every year. Perhaps a couple times a year. Anyway, here are some of my photos. Thanks again to everyone and it was good to meet all of you.

a few more

I just got home and I too had a great time and thanks to everyone who gave me a hand at critical points. I'll never remember everyone's real name and "handle" but it was a cool group and we kicked "A" going thru. For a large group I think we made good time.
    In my book it's a definite doer againer.

And I hope everyone remember's I'm a FEMALE.
    You can rest when you're dead

Man what an awesome get together! You folks who couldn't make it, make sure to attend next time. It was great to put faces to nicknames, the trick now is to remember all the names.

I was surprised we blazed through the Black Hole in such a quick time with a big group. Everything went flawlessly, no problems, no injuries and lots and lots of fun!

I am going to upload all of my pics tomorrow, but here are some of the better ones.

That was my first time down the Black Hole, nice canyon. Had a great time meeting alot of new people, I did remember a few names, lol That hike out was a killer. We have definitely got to do another canyon or two. Great turnout, Great Group of People.

looks like y'all had a good trip through the hole, sounds like it was a good time ... a uutah posse more like it. that one of shane and the two birds needs to go on the image bar

accadacca ... back in black!

anyone get a group photo?

looking forward to more photos and stories

Looks like a good time was had by all. Nice pics for those who couldn't join in.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Here are my pictures, at least the ones that somewhat turned out:

http://kazkat.com/upload/blackhole.zip - 250 MB

I just got home and will get my pics up in the next few days.... I think I have the closet pic to a group shot with about 18 people posing at the "You Are Going To Die" sign.

Thanks to everyone for a great trip.

Looks like a great trip! Wish I could have joined you all. Hopefully next time...

I believe this is the closest we have to a group shot. This is 17 of the 22 who were foolish enough to sign up for a uutah trip.

nice ... thanks shane ... good stuff

... acca sportin' the uutah garb

Glad you guys had fun.

I was at work; loving life.

Those pictures are nuts, I am usually solo in canyons, I have only seen other people in canyons maybe 4 times, and that includes partners.

Below are a couple of my better Black Hole pictures. Thanks to everyone who attended and made it a great event.

For those who want all my better pictures in large format here they are.
    http://climb-utah.com/temp/blackhole.zip
    The file is 27mb in ZIP format.

I'm still waiting for someone to post images of that cool swimming tunnel, and Dan doing his backflip into the water....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I'm still waiting for someone to post images of that cool swimming tunnel, and Dan doing his backflip into the water....
    Here ya go