Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ban outdoor smoking in davis county?

Also, if there's anybody out there who would like to take the money they would've spent on cigarettes and give it to me I'd be happy to take it. If I can get five smokers to agree with this plan I could afford a pretty nice house. There's nothing to lose. They'd be doing nothing different than what they do now, which is, give money to somebody who has no intention of giving them anything in return.
    My boy and I were talking about that the other day. My old room mate smoked at least 3 packs a day - every single day. I'm guessing he spent around 4k/yr in smokes - so multiple that by 5 smokers - you have your house payment covered for a year on a dang nice house.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    I was going to say this earlier but witheld. Smoking has zero redeeming qualities. Here are the steps necessary to smoke.
    while i dislike smoking, i disagree with the fact that it has zero redeeming qualities. but i would never suggest that one should smoke tobacco, except perhaps under special circumstances.

1) Place a known carcenogen, rolled in paper into your mouth.
    2) Set the known carcenogen on fire.
    3) Suck.
    4) Exhale said known carcenogen and force others around you to inhale your needless emissions.
    to a lesser extent you do this everytime you bbq/broil/grill or char any food you eat

Quote Originally Posted by HEADHUNTER
    Also, if there's anybody out there who would like to take the money they would've spent on cigarettes and give it to me I'd be happy to take it. If I can get five smokers to agree with this plan I could afford a pretty nice house. There's nothing to lose. They'd be doing nothing different than what they do now, which is, give money to somebody who has no intention of giving them anything in return.
    My boy and I were talking about that the other day. My old room mate smoked at least 3 packs a day - every single day. I'm guessing he spent around 4k/yr in smokes - so multiple that by 5 smokers - you have your house payment covered for a year on a dang nice house.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

3 packs a day is hardly typical

You can have it... But only if I get all the money someone like Iceaxe has spent on gear over the years.

I came from a family of smokers oh, i mean dickheads right. I don't smoke, but i dont think 90 total seconds of second hand smoke a year kills me (not counting bar time). Anymore then walking from the car inside work on bad air quality days like today.

Smoking makes one look sophisticated.

The last time I smoked a cigar, it was at an outdoors lounge on a sofa in Scottsdale at the Hyatt Spa Resort. Fires blazed. A steel drum band played. We quaffed top-shelf bourbon untill the wee hours talking business and politics and have a roaring time.

So there I was among the sophisticates, the captains of industry, with my mighty cigar breathing in the night air, wallowing in success.

Then I coughed a little bit and trundled off to bed. My mouth tasted poopie in the morning.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Bogley BigShot
    Not to piss off Summit by me daring to post in the uutah.com forum.... or at least in a thread where he might have interest. (yeah I saw your post before you or someone else deleted it.)

But this was just mailed to me by a Kane County official type. They want Orderville and Kanab to follow suit. I thought someone might have interest in it.

Murray
    Smoking limits are stiffened
    By Cathy McKitrick
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 06/15/2007 02:00:45 AM MDT

With a unanimous city council vote this week, the bustling mid-valley city of Murray joined the ranks of Logan, Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake and other Utah cities that have enacted outdoor smoking bans in city-owned public places.
    Murray's new ordinance, which takes effect immediately, extends to baseball diamonds and soccer fields, bleachers and spectator areas, parks and any streets and sidewalks therein, linear parks and trails, picnic pavilions and shelters, outdoor swimming pools, outdoor ice rinks, amphitheaters and playgrounds.
    The ban also applies to other city-owned property during mass gatherings and parades.
    Golf-course fairways are exempt from the ban.
    Jan Wells, Mayor Dan Snarr's chief of staff, said that no one spoke out against the restriction.
    Earlier this week, members of the Davis County Board of Health unanimously approved a countywide regulation to ban smoking in all public outdoor places, including those that are privately owned.
    The new restrictions have broad community support due to findings that any exposure to secondhand smoke can be harmful, especially to children.
    cmckitrick@sltrib.com

Smoking ban extended another 25 ft. distance
    Davis County Clipper Tom Busselberg 14.JUN.07
    FARMINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    That was a pretty rude thing to say...
    Summit, you are correct. It was rude, and I apologize.

My opinions about smoking are that is dangerous and destructive in more ways than I care to count. If you are a smoker, I don't want to belittle you or accuse you of being a jerk, as much as I want to encourage you to please, please consider quitting smoking. In an era of vast potential for the human race, it's such a shame to let damaging, pointless addictions destroy us.

From Wikipedia...

"A person's increased risk of contracting disease is directly proportional to the length of time that a person continues to smoke as well as the amount smoked. However, if someone stops smoking, then these chances gradually decrease as the damage to their body is repaired. A year after quitting, the risk of contracting disease is half that of a smoker."

[quote="Richard Barron"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    In an era of vast potential for the human race, it's such a shame to let damaging, pointless addictions destroy us.
    "[/i]
    you mean like flying a plane that relies on petroleum products across the country? ;)

I understand people's concern about smoking in public parks, venues, etc. However, I do feel like the more restrictions you make on personal freedom, the more damage you do to freedom itself.

I myself smoke on a semi-frequent basis - a pack of cigs will last me a couple of weeks, unless I go to a bar. however, I just don't see smokers being the inconsiderate "dickheads" that you guys must see them as. I go to Liberty Park quite a bit, and I've never seen anybody sitting around the playground, blowing smoke at little children. I go to Gallivan every year, and have yet to see a smoker hanging out with a bunch of non-smokers blowing smoke in their face.

Of all things that you are exposed to, even if we just limit it to air-borne carcinogens, people smoking in public is the least you should be worried about.

On the other hand, I'm all for ticketing people who smoke in their houses when they have kids, or those idiots who roll around with all their windows up, smoking a cig with their kids in the backseat.

I guess to each his own, but I do know that a government who begins to regulate everything you do, whether it's on your property or public property can be a dangerous thing.

Rev - I'm surprised to see you in support of this, I guess I might have you pegged wrong.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    [color=white]Not to piss off Summit by me daring to post in the uutah.com forum.... or at least in a thread where he might have interest. (yeah I saw your post before you or someone else deleted it.)
    sorry.. but you do it and i never said names.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    [color=white]Not to piss off Summit by me daring to post in the uutah.com forum.... or at least in a thread where he might have interest. (yeah I saw your post before you or someone else deleted it.)
    Before I get lynched by Tanya fans...

The post I deleted had a list of things that bother me more then then second had smoke I smell when walking down the street. One of them was when people reply to posts 3 times in a row (with in a min) when they could just use copy and paste into one post. I also listed quoting a quote within a quote of quote... you know what I am talking about.

I hardly see this as a "DARE" to post in UUTAH. I am not sorry these things irritates me. But keep in mind it does not matter if its you for my mom posting like that still bugs me.

Bogley BigShot
    Cedar City Council Considers Ban on Smoking in City Parks

By: Cathy Wentz The Cedar City Council heard a request that the city pass an ordinance banning smoking in city parks from Jordan Mathis, health educator for the Southwest Utah Department of Health, during its work meeting, June 20.
    Mathis said Salt Lake City passed an ordinance against smoking in public parks, cemeteries, on golf courses and in mass gatherings in November 2006. He said Davis County has recently passed legislation banning smoking in public places including ATM lines. He said Beaver and Santa Clara have also recently passed ordinances against smoking in public parks.
    Mathis said the health department believes second-hand smoke is a classic carcinogen. He said, according to information from the Mayo Clinic, an estimated 38,000 to 65,000 non-smokers die each year in the United States from second-hand smoke.

Bogley BigShot
    More on the subject of smoking...

The European Union's consumer chief aims to prevent thousands of fire-related deaths and injuries each year by making all cigarettes sold in EU countries self-extinguishing, European Commission officials said.

The "fire-safe" cigarettes stop burning automatically after a few seconds if not puffed, due to small gaps in the cigarette paper which cuts the circulation of oxygen.

Officials at the EU executive said EU Consumer Protection Commissioner Meglena Kuneva would bring forward proposals later this year to make the self-extinguishing cigarettes mandatory across the 27-nation bloc.

"Data from just 14 member states show that over 2,000 deaths a year are caused by cigarette-related fires, with thousands more people injured and tens of millions of euros worth of damage caused," a Commission official told Reuters.

"There have already been discussions with the various stakeholders such as the fire-safety authorities, the tobacco industry and consumer groups. There is general support across the board."

Commission officials are developing an EU-wide standard for the cigarettes, similar to one in the United States and Canada.

"Canada introduced legislation in 2005 and a number of U.S. states have followed suit including New York, New Jersey and California, while Australia intends to also bring in laws for fire-safe cigarettes," another Commission official said.

"So, it would be more sensible and easier for industry if we draw up a common standard to be used across the globe."

The officials said research showed that the cost of the new tobacco regulations in North America did not affect the overall cost of cigarettes.

"The cost is around 0.01 to 0.02 euro cent per packet," a Commission official said.

The Commission officials said the tobacco industry told them it would back their plan, once it was given enough time to adapt to the new legislation.

Previously tobacco firms said chemical additives required for fire-safe cigarettes would cause more damage to smokers and complained that smokers would not like the new taste.

"We support the push for these smoke-free cigarettes, but yes, it must be in line with the standard adopted in New York," said Richard James, spokesman for Philip Morris. -- maker of top-selling Marlboro and other brands.

"Also it must be made clear that this measure alone with not totally prevent fires from burning cigarettes, smokers must also be more responsible when smoking."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070705/...V3hrxomoAE1vAI

Went to the drive-in Tuesday night with my family... sucked in everybody's smoke the WHOLE DAMN MOVIE! I was going to ask the people next to us to wait until after the 1st feature at least, but then I realized I'd have to tell half the place since there was a dozen glowing red dots around us. I can't believe you have to make laws to get people to do the obvious. Sad.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Build the smoking zoos, I will bring my kids and teach them what not to do!
    Have you thought about writing a story or magazine article about your experience? You could be the Gen-Y Dr. Spock...your kids are lucky to have a father like you!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    In an era of vast potential for the human race, it's such a shame to let damaging, pointless addictions destroy us.
    Yes! I agree. Too bad smoking is the "National Hate Your Neighbor Fad" du jour - helps mask all the other destructive things we do to ourselves and others. Well, one down, 1000000000000000000 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Went to the drive-in Tuesday night with my family... sucked in everybody's smoke the WHOLE DAMN MOVIE! I was going to ask the people next to us to wait until after the 1st feature at least, but then I realized I'd have to tell half the place since there was a dozen glowing red dots around us. I can't believe you have to make laws to get people to do the obvious. Sad.
    The whole sad story is contained within your post. If you're the "blaming" type, you could reasonably blame yourself for taking no action. Many bullshit laws would be unnecessary if we policed ourselves better.

U.S.A. : land of the free, home of the brave(?)

Well, the no smoking on company property didn't work out.

First they said that employees would have to clock out to smoke on the street.

Then, they didn't have to clock out.

A few weeks ago, they can now smoke in the gazebo again, unless your hire date is after july 1st 2007, or you are a temporary/contractor.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey