Thread: Rattlesnake Canyon, Colorado

Rattlesnake Canyon, Colorado

Although not technically in Utah, Rattlesnake is just across (about 30 miles)the border into Colorado and it is the result of the same geologic layers that formed Arches National Park. So, it is at least a cousin to what we have here in Utah.

Anyway, I took a group to Rattlesnake yesterday to see the arches. The area claims to contain the highest concentration of arches outside of ANP in the world and so I've been anxious to take a look for myself. After the trip I am inclined to believe the claim. Anyway, the best way to access the canyon is to go through Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction, drive about 12 miles (the last two of which are a booger) out into the boonies and then complete a 2.5 mile hiking loop. There are many more arches in the canyon that are not contained in this loop, but this loop is the most popular. The funny thing about the place is that you have to go way back into the wild to access the trailhead and then, on the trail, you look down and see Grand Junction and Fruita sitting in the valley below you (see the picture.)

There are some really spectacular arches on this little loop and I've included pictures of the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I will have to check that out sometime. Thanks for the TR
    The man thong is wrong.

I've had my eye on this canyon for a long time. Maybe in the next year or two I'll make myself rent a Jeep and do it. It looks great. -R

I did that loop hike at the end of April. Met a fellow on the trails who urged me to visit nearby Glade Park. Several arches are visible from the highway there as well as a balanced rock known both as Potato Rock and Miracle Rock.

As long as you announce that you're just traveling thru Colorado NM, you won't be assessed the entrance fee.

The dirt roads were in good shape and I was able to get within a 1/4 mile of the Rattlesnake Canyon TH with a 2wd rental.

I think I'm an "archaholic", thanks for the trip report and pictures. I may have to leave Utah sometime.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Good report, enjoyed the photos. I've wondered why there isn't a more direct route to the canyon.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot
    Looks like a fun trail. Nice photos!

Nice photos.

There are many more arches in the canyon that are not contained in this loop, but this loop is the most popular.
    I know of only one not on the loop, plus the ones on the west side of the rim.

The funny thing about the place is that you have to go way back into the wild to access the trailhead and then, on the trail, you look down and see Grand Junction and Fruita sitting in the valley below you (see the picture.)
    If curious (you probably already know) there is a trail up there right from Fruita. It avoids the long drive and passes through some nice scenery. Plus another arch.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

You are right. Looking across the canyon and seeing all of those alcoves I was sure there had to be more arches over there. But there is only one or two.

We did think about accessing Rattlesnake from the Fruita trail but it was just too long to do in a day.

I would like to get out there and explore some of the other canyons and arches. There are lots of others.
    The gostak distims the doshes.