Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOAB NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!!!!!

MOAB NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm in a bit of a pickle. The week is winding down, and I am trying to secure a wetsuit for myself and one other about my same stature for the Black Hole trip on Saturday. I'm calling around to some of the local canyoneering/river guiding companies around Moab, and NOBODY wants to cooperate. Here's a few dialogues I've had over the phone with several Moab-based guiding companies concerning wetsuit rentals:

Me: Hi there, I understand you rent wetsuits?
    Them: Yes we do!
    Me: Do you have any available for this Saturday?
    Them: Sure do! Where are you going?
    Me: The Black Hole -- Cedar Mesa.
    Them: Canyoneering?
    Me: yes
    Them: (coldly) We don't rent our wetsuits to canyoneers.
    Me: Oooo-K, thanks.....bye.

Another...

Me: Hi, I'm looking to rent a wetsuit for the weekend.
    Them2: Ummmm....we don't rent out our wetsuits or any other gear to anyone else but clients, sorry.

So...is there anyone willing to drag down a few wetsuits from SLC, if I foot the bill?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rock, for June in the Black Hole, I would think one of those 3/2's in Sportsman Warehouse is more than enough. Mine was about $58 to buy.

It is the one I used to do the Black Hole in January. I don't recommend doing that, but it should be more than enough for June.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Rock, for June in the Black Hole, I would think one of those 3/2's in Sportsman Warehouse is more than enough. Mine was about $58 to buy.
    Not a bad deal. I'd be willing to go that route if someone is willing to pick it up for me.

I just joined team Stearns and got one last night from Sportsman's. I bought a shorty for 39 bones.

what ya need Rock?
    i can stop and get something

I think mostly everyone is in the SLC area but I will put this out there anyway. I bought a Stearns at Sportsmans Warehouse in provo last night. It was $60, for a full. They only had 2XL left and a couple of small child/woman suits left. My point being, dont plan on picking one up in provo unless you are really small or big.

Unfortunately I wont be going to Black Hole.
    The man thong is wrong.

I got to chime in here...

FYI The stearns westuits are no longer 3/2 they are now full 2 mm. The older models were better than the current, from what I've seen. It looks like they were actually 3/2 and were reinforced in the knees, etc. They have removed the reinforced knees and now contain no reinforcement whatsoever. Having canyoneered in a 4/3 for years I was surprised at the difference in the two. Basically I froze my ass off in my new 2mm Stearns in the relatively warm water of MEXICO where as I've had my 4/3's in some much colder places in Utah with out discomfort.

I used to buy into the idea that a full wetsuit is a full wetsuit, but no longer.

You get what you pay for! And you're paying for low quality cheap 2 mm neoprene that is stitched together (meaning you get water flow through the seams) and not sealed seams like nicer wetsuits. And after having used both, i would say the 2mm full suit is just a little warmer than a good shortee.

I personally am kind of bummed! With a 4/3 and sometimes a shortee over the top if things were frigid, I could do most any canyon any time of year and feel confident I wouldn't freeze. No way I will be in the same situations with the 2 mil, even if I add a shortee. Save another 75 bucks and get a 4/3 with sealed seems from Tom; wear shorts and knee and elbow pads and it will last for years AND keep you warm in all sorts of canyon situations the 2mm will leave you shivering in! Or at least get a relatively good 3/2 for 20 bucks more and support our buddy Tom. The westuits he sells really are reasonable and are much higher quality than what team stearns (myself included) is sportin.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/shop

There used to be some good 4/3 suits on the web for just 80 bucks (neosport was the brand) but I'm not seeing them any more.

If i was going to buy a sportsmans wearhouse wetsuit, I'd stick with the shortee-- it will be good for Black Hole midsummer and will complement a real wetsuit as an outside layer if you decide to get one. Just don't be thinking you can be doing choprock in your shortee (or your 2mil stearns fullsuit IMHO).

Disappointed new member of Team Stearns :(

PS 1 slightly used (a few little gouges in the butt cause I forgot my wetsuit shorts). Stearns full 2mm wetsuit, Size L for sale: 40 dollars. Only used three days in Mexico. Its a GREAT Wetsuit .

Located in Provo.

FYI The stearns westuits are no longer 3/2 they are now full 2 mm. The older models were much better than the current, from what I've seen.
    Hmmm, I got mine a couple years ago. It was a Bareskins and 3/2. Is this the one that you are refering to?

Anyway, looks like 97 degrees for Hite on the weekend, so good luck everyone. It's snowing here.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I purchased a new stearns about 6 weeks ago from Sportsmans, and it was definitely a 3/2. Not sure how nice it is compared to other brands, but it didn't seem too cheap. I only can compare it to the triathlon wetsuits I've used, and it seemed ok. Maybe there is a new shipment in of lesser quality ones? Mine definitely doesn't have reinforced knees, but it isn't horrible.

I took mine through shenanigans and lep in a cold wet day in early may, and it held up fine, and was fairly warm. Not sure if that helps or not though...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    FYI The stearns westuits are no longer 3/2 they are now full 2 mm. The older models were much better than the current, from what I've seen.
    Hmmm, I got mine a couple years ago. It was a Bareskins. Is this the one that you are refering to?
    I don't know; i just noticed some older Stearns/Sportsmans wearhouse wetsuits around that are quite a bit different and included the reinforced knees and were maybe actually 3mm or 3/2...

PS: here is the current rendition. Definitely just 2 mm...
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=309663

PPS I hope no one takes personal offense that I'm not impressed with the wetsuit you happen to own, I'm just saying there is definitely a difference. Everyone's cold tolerance is different. For me, the stearns is probably the perfect wetsuit for cold wet days in North Wash, mid-summer Neon, black hole, or pinecreek, winter dry canyon body armor, etc. and thats what I'll save it for if no on wants to buy it. For April Powell trips and spring and fall in the swell or cedar mesa I'll be getting out a hole-ridden 4/3 or buying a new one. For colder stuff: I've got something really good :)

Damn you Rock-Ski! That's the wetsuit I own!

Too bad they had it labeled wrong when I bought it, they had it labeled a 3/2, but it's definitely only a 2mm from that info. Those bastards...

What exactly does 4/3 or 3/2 means? I kind of figured the 2 means the thickness of the material as 2mm, but what's the first number?

ya, I got the 2mm. I hope I'll be ok in Zion. I didn't know Tom sold them, shoot!
    The man thong is wrong.

In a 4/3 wetsuit, the thickness of neoprene that covers the BODY is 4mm. The thickness of neoprene that covers the ARMS and LEGS is 3mm.

If there's one by you, you may want to check out a dive shop. I got a used (slightly) 5/4 wetsuit for 50 bucks, and it matches my shoes!

I've bought wetsuits at Sportsmans Warehouse for about 8 years.... their suits are all over the place, it just depends on what day you buy your wetsuit and what was on the last shipment. They also stock different styles of the same brand name.... bottom line I think they stock whatever they can get their hands on cheap.

The above post is from a pround member of Team Sterns.

Re: MOAB NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Ok, I'm in a bit of a pickle. The week is winding down, and I am trying to secure a wetsuit for myself and one other about my same stature for the Black Hole trip on Saturday. I'm calling around to some of the local canyoneering/river guiding companies around Moab, and NOBODY wants to cooperate.
    Hi Gremlin,

If your name is Justin, check your messages. We called last night to let you know that we're happy to rent wetsuits, neosocks, neogloves, drybags, Exum Rivers, PFDs, etc for the Black Hole. As you know, we have a multi-day trip leaving for Cedar Mesa early tomorrow that has first dibs on our supplies, but whatever is left over is yours to rent.

The folks at Canyon Voyages Rafting Company are great, but they no longer rent suits for canyoneering. Admittedly, we are mostly to blame for that. Before the BH logjams we always rented our suits from them. We've certainly bought our share of suits from them after returning them in shreds! Now that we're guiding there again - and more frequently - we've bought our own supply of cold water gear. If you need to rent any wetsuits don't bother CV. You can check in with us and we'll be happy to help however possible.

3mm Farmer John ($15/first day; $7/each addt'l day)
    3mm Top ($15/first day; $7/each addt'l day)
    3mm Expedition NeoSock ($4/first day; $2/each addt'l day)
    PFD ($5/first day; $3/each addt'l day)
    Permission to pee in suit ($39.95/per day)

Thanks and have fun,
    Matt Moore
    Desert Highlights
    50 East Center Street in Moab
    (800) 747-1342
    http://www.deserthighlights.com

Justin, that said, do you still want me to get a wetsuit from hesse? I haven't picked it up yet, left her a message to call me back..... let me know

Hi Matt,

I got your message late, but I am definitely still interested. Thanks for your cooperation.

Alex -- ya, definitely still interested in cri's wetsuit. Matt didn't have any youth wetsuits available.