1 5.00%
  • tucked in my belt

4 20.00%
  • other

2 10.00%
  • I don't carry

3 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW, Hooray!! Now some advice . . .

CCW, Hooray!! Now some advice . . .

3 months is all it took for the busy-a BCI in Utah to get me my permit. Now that I've got it, I'd like to start carrying.

My question/problem: I'm fine with just shoving the barrel of the gun down my butt crack with the grip sticking up out of my pants. (bring on the jokes) It's comfortable enough and fairly secure, but i feel like every time I walk into a store, they're going to think it's a holdup. Not to mention, as a concealed carrier, I'd like my gun to be concealed. For the people who actually carry (and good for you), how do you carry?

Price
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My Keltec is small enough I'm been carrying it just in my pocket. But I'd like to find a better way.

I carry in my front pocket as well. I've got a .380 auto (slightly larger than 9mm) and it holds 6. Still small enough to comfortably carry in my pocket, even while sitting.

Sombeech, do you have a keltec? Mine is a .380 as well. Holds 6, but I only keep 5 in the mag

I voted "hip holster," though "tucked in my belt" would also work. I use an "inside the waistband" (IWB) holster--keeps it well-hidden and secure with minimal bulge, and still lets me hike, jog, etc. without a lot of bouncing or movement.
    Blog | FB

Here's the problem with the belt carry, (AKA Mexican Carry)

The safest way to carry is to have a cartridge in the chamber and to be ready to fire at a moments notice.

Most times that CCP'er fires their pistol in self defense is at close range. Let's say this is the case for you. What are you going to say, excuse me sir but can you hang on a minute while I chamber a round so I can shoot you...

If you go with this train of thought, it is unsafe to carry in the waistband, as the trigger is unprotected and you can suffer and NG (Negligent Discharge)

Go with a good, quality holster. Carry with one in the chamber. The other thing that is often forgotten is to have a good belt. (I like the ones from here---->http://www.thewilderness.com/

Just curious, what firearm are you trusting your life with?
    Let's Roll

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Sombeech, do you have a keltec? Mine is a .380 as well. Holds 6, but I only keep 5 in the mag
    No, it's a Bryco, some cheap brand. It can hold 7 with one in the chamber.

For carrying when I am hiking/backpacking etc I prefer using the Safepacker. It is a great way to carry. They are used widely by S&R people.

I like it because it provides fast access and doesn't look too 'tactical' and won't freak out other people on the trail. They provide great protection from the elements as well.

PS I have no affiliation w/ this site, I just like their gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Let's Roll

That looks pretty cool. Not as "CC-ish" though. Do you have a good holster you'd recommend for carrying a little keltec .380?

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy

Just curious, what firearm are you trusting your life with?
    FNH P9 SA/DA. I feel pretty safe with a chambered round even using the Mexican Carry (here on out MC). The trigger pull on the DA is stiff enough that it's not going to AD or ND.

I'm super happy with this gun, even after shooting the glocks (I'm purchasing a G19 for my father tonight). I do need to get some hydroshock.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    That looks pretty cool. Not as "CC-ish" though. Do you have a good holster you'd recommend for carrying a little keltec .380?

ah . . .that's cute. Maybe a size S jockstrap would work. :) (totally kidding)

Don't do the Mexican carry, with all the daily movements (sitting down, tying shoes, etc) the chances of a ND are too great, also just seems like it would be very umcomfortable. I carry a XD-45 compact in this Desanti holster. (http://www.desantisholster.com/n91.html) I like it because you can adjust the angle of the hook for strong side IWB or small of the back carry. I think it also sits lower than other IWB holsters for a lower chance of printing the profile of grip. I do carry every day with this, if you get it in the right postion, I am not bothered by it at all. For a belt I just use a 2 inch leather belt I picked up from REI.

Only three months? Good. I just noticed my check has cleard from the Feds. Hope this means the processessing is underway. It has been a month, and I am thinking either inside waistband holster or a paddle holster for my Glock.

The Safepacker may be something I will look into. I am definatley going to carry on the trail.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I carry either my Springfield XD 40 or my Kahr 9mm. Both are very comfortable to carry and easily concealabe. I use a IWB galco holster for all my carry.

When I started carrying I was always worried that someone would notice that I was concealing a firearm in my waistband. After a while I got used to it and now I can't even tell half the time when I am packing or not. I have realized that most people really don't pay that much attention to you.

17. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    I carry my Taurus PT145 IWB with my shirt untucked and my wife has no idea that I have it with me until she bumps up against my side.

You can get a belly band and carry that way as well.

My dad carries his S&W Airweight in his front pocket and I know several folks that do that as well.

I guess the point - if there is one - you'll have to try different holsters and configurations until you find the one that is best for you.
    Never leave home without a headhunter.

How I carry.

I carry both my Glock 23 and a Kahr 9mm with the in the pants hip holster made by galco. I also use a blackhawk retention holster for the Glock. The in the pant holster are the way to go if you ask me.

I carry a Springfield XD .45 Compact in a DeSantis ProStealth Intra-Waistband holster each and every day and I LOVE IT!!!
    Never pistol whip someone with your gun...that could mar the finish.

I just keep mine in my hand (old SW .38 spl w/Hyrdos). Somtimes I wave it out the window of my truck.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

I carry a Kahr .40 and a Glock 22. The Glock is my duty weapon, and rarely carry it off-duty. That's what the Kahr is for. I have a variety of holsters for it, including a Fobus Paddle, Galco IWB, and Bianchi Minimalist each for different occassions. If I do carry my Glock, it is in a Fobus Paddle that supports a tac light. Either way, they are all on my hip, always. When SHTF, it's all about muscle memory. I dont' want to have to think about where I put my gun today.

I have yet to find a good way to conceal this one.

How do you like that tac light on your Kahr?
    Fire By Day,
    Fire By Night;
    Everywhere I Go,
    Fire Is My Light!