Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened in Heaps Canyon??

What happened in Heaps Canyon??

Check out the NPS site:

https://zionpermits.nps.gov/backcoun...m?TripTypeID=3

What happend??
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Heaps Canyon:
    Heaps Canyon has been closed for the following reason(s):
    Condition: Closed due to an investigation.

However, you can continue to make reservations at your own risk.

From a very reliable source.... A rappelling fatality at the final rappel (Emerald Pools) yesterday. More info to come....

Dang, that's very bad news.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I hate that rappel more then any other. It scares the snot out of me and has been the cause of several nasty accidents.... and the worst part is I'm afraid there will be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    .... and the worst part is I'm afraid there will be more.
    Not if they close the canyon.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Thats the other part I'm afraid might happen.... Judging from the latest backcountry plan canyoneers are not really liked or wanted by Zion management.

Especially concerning since there has already been speculations of that due to the fact that the last rap is into the popular tourist areas of Emerald Pools.

Thats the other part I'm afraid might happen.... Judging from the latest backcountry plan canyoneers are not really liked or wanted by Zion management.

Any more new of how it happened?
    do they rap past the last rap station?
    wrong end of the rope?
    super sad, 90 meter drop usually does not leave much chance of survival.
    my condolence to the family of this poor person.

Remember, those meetings are scheduled for tonight and tomorrow night... Not to take away from the significance of the accident, but it comes at an unfortunate time.

I personally hate to be thinking about those kinds of things, given the fact that a family is now forever changed, but the thought did come to mind.

From a very reliable source.... A rappelling fatality at the final rappel (Emerald Pools) yesterday. More info to come....
    Howcome this didn't make local news? Usually fatalities in ZNP make headline news.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Howcome this didn't make local news? Usually fatalities in ZNP make headline news.
    I agree... I'm hoping it wasn't truly a fatality, since we haven't heard much. It is possible though, that it happened late last night, so the word is still yet to get out. Let's hope for the best...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Pending Investigation Maybe?

I've had my eye on the news wires but nothing yet....

I'm thinking the news service just has not sniffed it out as of yet. The Spectrum has a reporter who is pretty sharp and usually all over this type of stuff... must be his day off or maybe he has not come back from coffee yet?

Ya, I've been searching around too, but nothing has come up about ZNP.

Here's hoping it's NOT a fatality.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Ahhhhhh CRAP! I am supposed to be in Heaps on Friday. I did just get off the phone with the Backcountry Desk and they said it was an "Administrative Closure" but the guy guessed that Heaps would be open by Friday. I hope so. I hate to hear things like this on so many levels. I hope no one is seriously hurt but it doesn't sound good right now. All I know is that if my wife gets a hold of this information I may be banished from Heaps this weekend.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    All I know is that if my wife gets a hold of this information I may be banished from Heaps this weekend.
    Same here. We're going in on the 30th. If she finds out I might die she'll likely say fine but up your life insurance and leave that cute friend of your's phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    up your life insurance and leave that cute friend of your's phone number.

Bogley BigShot
    You guys are quick to find things out! Bo is in Heaps now and will help with the investigation. He cannot usually say anything until it hits the news or the park issues a memo. He said he will probably be gone about 48 hours.

Just called the Spectrum and they are working on a story. Will be online soon.