Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TR: Larry, Alcatraz, and Mindbender

TR: Larry, Alcatraz, and Mindbender

Quick TR from the weekend. John Varn (alusul) and I hit up Larry, Alcatraz, and Mindbender. It was a nice weekend, given the heat. Saturday was tolerable, but Sunday was damn hot. Bugs were outrageous in NF RR. Hope for better this weekend at the Hole.

Absolutely no water in Larry. Alcatraz had some nasty stuff in it, up to about mid thigh in one spot.

Mindbender TR is now up as well.

Enjoy.

Larry: http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=83

Alcatraz: http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=84

Mindbender: http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=85

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Larry is great in the cool part of spring or fall. That slog out is not that bad when it is cool. When I last did it a couple of months ago, there were still patches of snow and the hike was nice in the bottom of the canyon and no big deal up he exit crack to the car. Add heat to the equation and it would be bad. I thought the Mind bender exit was worse by far cause it was pretty warm when I did it a few weeks ago.

Great photos as always.
    Life is Good

Wow...this would be Alcatraz take 2 for John so far this year. He also did it back in March if I recall.

I love your photos, as always.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Add heat to the equation and it would be bad. I thought the Mind bender exit was worse by far cause it was pretty warm when I did it a few weeks ago.

Great photos as always.
    Yeah, Larry isn't bad with the shuttle. If you don't shuttle though, It'd be misery, methinks. And yes, Mindbender is brutal in the heat. Just ask John, he puked all over the place on the way out... Coulda been bad if we weren't so close to the car.

Wow...this would be Alcatraz take 2 for John so far this year. He also did it back in March if I recall.
    I think it is actually is third in the last few months. He did it last week, plus a few months ago. Either way, it's worth doing again. Cool canyon.

Nice one...
    I'm out of bed and dressed, what more could you want?

www.sinuhexavier.com

Added Mindbender to the links in the original post.

Mindbender: http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=85

Sounds like some fun canyons and some fun times. Those are some great pictures!

Are those bolts still at the last rap in Mindbender?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    Sounds like some fun canyons and some fun times. Those are some great pictures!

Are those bolts still at the last rap in Mindbender?
    Yeah, still there. I should've fixed the sling length though, as the pull is creating some nasty grooves already. Here's my proposal to the next group through... Extend the slings a few feet.

How do you get those sweet sunsets? That's gorgeous

do you have any pics of your dead man's on the last rap?

Quote Originally Posted by snatch
    do you have any pics of your dead man's on the last rap?
    The deadman cairns are still there, but since it has been recently bolted, the webbing is gone. We used the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    How do you get those sweet sunsets? That's gorgeous

WTF. . .that ain't fair.

"Yeah, Larry isn't bad with the shuttle. If you don't shuttle though, It'd be misery, methinks. "

When we did Larry a few weeks back, we stashed the packs at the trailhead, drove the car back near the Exit crack, and walked the 3+ miles to the trailhead carrying only a water bottle, still a long walk but much better in the early morning when it is cool, and easier with a whole 2-lbs of water than with a full pack.

Dan

bolts eh. damn, that last rap was my favorite part about that canyon. nothing beats digging in the mud for 30 minutes to bury some rocks. that's like taking a sandbox away from a little kid. anybody on this forum taking responsibility for the bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by snatch
    bolts eh. damn, that last rap was my favorite part about that canyon. nothing beats digging in the mud for 30 minutes to bury some rocks. that's like taking a sandbox away from a little kid. anybody on this forum taking responsibility for the bolts?
    Not sure anyone has taken responsibility yet... There was a lengthy discussion on the egroup though a couple weeks back. Seems like they were placed in the last month or so.

I wasn't really that impressed with the canyon either, to be honest. The last rap is the only redeeming feature for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

I wasn't really that impressed with the canyon either, to be honest. The last rap is the only redeeming feature for me.
    The only reason I did Mindbender was for the last rap off a pile of rocks, to me rapping off bolts would take a lot of bite out of that canyon and then it's just another rappel.

I liked mindbender a whole lot, I did it the morning after a rainstorm and it was FULL and really fun.

I get the feeling that when the bolter is discovered he will be easily identified by the hammer and drill shoved up his ass....

The bolts are not very popular and I don't expect them to last very long so go prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The bolts are not very popular and I don't expect them to last very long so go prepared.

I dunno, sounds to me like no one is building the deadman anymore with all the rope grooves forming, but I don't think they'll be there much longer either.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    I dunno, sounds to me like no one is building the deadman anymore with all the rope grooves forming, but I don't think they'll be there much longer either.
    If what I'm hearing is correct rope grooves are now forming at the new bolted anchor.

Rope grooves are not cause by bolts or natural anchors, they are cause by poorly placed anchors and improper sling lengths.

The bolts are not very popular
    The bolter put the bolts in the canyon with the assumption that more people could do the canyon (thus becoming more popular).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.