Thread: Anyone float the San Rafael? (Fuller Bottom to S.R. Bridge)

Anyone float the San Rafael? (Fuller Bottom to S.R. Bridge)

We visited the Wedge area this weekend for the first time and did a day hike on the south side of the river from Fuller Bottom toward the Little Grand Canyon. What a beautiful area..! I can't wait to go back.

The guide book I read also suggested that this could be done as a tube float from Fuller Bottom all the way to the San Rafael Campground.

Have you done this before? I plan on calling the BLM in Price to get their advice on flow rates, etc, but from what I saw of the river conditions, it looked reasonable. I'm assuming you could easily float the whole thing in an afternoon? (roughly 16 miles I think)

Any words of wisdom or advice? This would be our first tube float like this. I plan on lashing a dry bag with some necessities to the tube and let it float with us. We'll park a shuttle car at the S.R. Bridge area.

Is the Lower Black Box a better float than this one?
    Thanks much, Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I found this, but of course the one I am looking for is discontinued.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/current/?type=flow

People do it all the time, but usually in the spring when snowmelt makes the river swell a little. Last spring (around mid-April), I was trying to cross at Fuller Bottom, and there were several people there getting ready to canoe, kayak, and float down the river. There might be some spots where you have to walk it, but it would be a fun float trip if the water is high enough.

I've floated it a bunch of times. May and June. Unfortuantely, there probably isn't enough water this year for a good run.

When there is enough water, it's a nice run. It can be done in a day, or you can do it in two or more and hike the side canyons along the way.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.