Thread: Wolf Mountain Trip Report

Wolf Mountain Trip Report

My son and I decided to check out the action at Wolf Mountain yesterday. For those of you who don't know, Wolf Mountain is a small ski resort in Eden, Utah, up in the Ogden Valley. They have just started to offer lift serviced mountain biking. Since the bigger resorts are still a month away from opening, we decided to give them a try and get our gravity fix early.

The good news first: Wolf Mountain's trail is REALLY fun. You can get off the lift at mid-mountain (and only ride the swoopy bottom half) or continue on to the top and get the whole enchilada.

Now for the bad news: I said trail...only one...yup, that's it.

The resort is just getting started at trail building, so they only have one trail cut down the mountain. I could see some guys digging another one, and there is a pretty impressive looking terrain park under construction, but the park is still a week or so away from opening.

The staff at Wolf Mountain was really pumped about the prospects for riding on their hill, and were really eager to hear suggestions for improvement. The resort has a funky, homespun vibe that is a nice change from the stale, monied vibe at DV (and to a lesser extent at Snowbasin). The staff is a little inexperienced at handling bikes, and the chairs definitely need some padding to protect the bikes, but that will come also.

The trail is similar to some of the lower trails at Snowbasin...lots of grass and the potential for moon dust. The Wolf Mountain folks definitely are praying for rain! No need for the big bike yet. I rode my Preston FR, and it was more than enough for the terrain I encountered. The big bike stuff still is under construction. We did about 8 runs of the mountain in about 3.5 hours. All in all, it was well worth the trip.

The resort does have some information (times, days, other activities) on their website at www.wolfmountaineden.com . I spoke with a woman named Vicky, and she seemed to the the one in the know. Get yourselves up there and give them a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    You won't think you're so clever, when you hear thunder underground...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thanks for all the info. I am pretty stoked to head up there in a few weeks.

Thanks for the pics!

How's the handling of the bike on the lift? Do they slow it down for you at the stops? And is it just one bike per chair?

Well, like I said, they're a little inexperienced at handling the bikes. If you're going to get off at mid-mountain, you are supposed to announce that at the bottom, they call up to the middle, and they slow it for your dismount. There's a person there to help. At the top, they had 2 guys working, so it was more of a "jump and run" kind of dismount...they didn't slow it unless there was a problem.

There is only one bike per chair, and you ride the same chair as your bike...which is good, because you can hold on to the bar and protect your bike from smashing into the chair. The lift chairs need some more padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    How's the handling of the bike on the lift? Do they slow it down for you at the stops? And is it just one bike per chair?

I'm hoping to get out and do this soon. I get my cast off hopefully next Monday. Starting out on a ski resort sounds great.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

How many runs could a person get in during the day? You said that their is only 1 trail for now ?

It's a much smaller resort than DV or Snowbasin, so the trail is considerably shorter. If you were strong enough to bomb down, get on the lift, and bomb down again, you could probably get three runs per hour. We got 8 in about 3.5 hours, but we took a break for a Snickers and Coke.

There is only one trail; the others are still under construction. There is also a terrain park that is just about complete (they claim it will be open this weekend) and a small feature park (teeter-totter and wooden bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    How many runs could a person get in during the day? You said that their is only 1 trail for now ?

$5.00 for a single run, $15.00 for all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    How much did it cost?

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    I got a total of 16 runs in 8 hours with an hour lunch.
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore

talked to brian this evening said that the wood for for some of the stunts will be in wednesday, should have some drops built by this weekend, I am going either tues or wed to work on a new line from mid mtn to the lift that has some big jumps and drops.

I'm thinking of hitting this on Saturday. Either this, or Wasatch Crest.

Not trying to hijack your post but the good Dr. posted some sweet pics of the park.

http://utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphp...?p=19786#19786

so summit are you gonna come up north any time soon?let ya take my bike for a run or two , I will be there both sat and sun

I am going to wait a few weeks for a few more trails. I would love to try one of your bikes.

wow this weekend we opened two more trails, and the parking lot was over half full of nuthing but downhillers, good times ,the beer was flowing weather was perfect, the 4x course was being dialed in on sat and going off on sun., rumor has it there is an A-line on the way