Thread: Ever go biking in the PG District?

Ever go biking in the PG District?

Anyone here do much mountain biking on the Pleasant Grove District in the Uinta National Forest? AF Canyon or the surrounding areas? Where do you go? Is there a mountain-biking club or association?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First of all the trip report index is your friend: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651

Tibble Fork Trail up AF canyon: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=861

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm not interested in going biking there, and I know about the trails that are available. I was looking for individuals, groups, or clubs that are active in using that area. In a meeting with the Rec Planner on the PG District, he mentioned that they were having some problems on a few biking trails with off-trail riding and other forms of irresponsible use. They're hoping some biking groups will get involved with the area doing education and maintenance projects so they can avoid closures. I thought it'd be a good opportunity to invite some biking groups out to some of our 4x4 projects this summer and to our big National Public Lands Day project in September.

There aren't any mountain biking clubs in the area?

Did I scare people with the dreaded call for volunteers?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    Did I scare people with the dreaded call for volunteers?
    Just say there will be cute girls there.

Doesn't matter to me. I don't use those trails, so I won't be bothered when they are closed due to resource damage.

Surprisingly I've found there are no real mountain bike clubs or associations here that lead trailwork projects and negotiations with land owners. There are plenty of individuals concerned over the closure of such trails but I haven't found an established organization yet. Also surprisingly I don't think Utah has a huge representation with IMBA - which it should.

I appreciate you letting us know about the need for action, but can you be more specific as to what needs to be done, where/when to attend meetings, who needs to be involved?

Nowadays the internet is the easiest way to spread the word for volunteers and with little work, many people can be notified of the need for help.

Thanks for your concern! What can we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    I appreciate you letting us know about the need for action, but can you be more specific as to what needs to be done, where/when to attend meetings, who needs to be involved?
    I don't know what the specific needs were. It was mentioned to me in passing during a meeting with the Interim District Ranger, District Rec Planner, and Trails & Wilderness Coordinator.

The entire Forest's budget was cut by over 30% this year. As in a real cut, not just a decrease in the increase. Therefore, they have fewer seasonals and trail maint crews.

Get a group together and contact the District. Find out their specific concerns. They don't have a true volunteer coordinator anymore, so be prepared to do most of the organizing and planning on your own.

I'd like to invite a mountain biking group to NPLD on 9/29 if there is such a group who is willing to get out and do some trail work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker

Nowadays the internet is the easiest way to spread the word for volunteers and with little work, many people can be notified of the need for help.
    Yes and no. I've found that the Internet is the best to spread the word about volunteer projects so that recreation users know which areas to avoid on which days.

There aren't any mountain biking clubs in the area?
    I would contact the Wasatch Mountain Club. They are not a biking specific club, but biking is one of their main activities.

Here is a list of their bike trips just for June:

http://wasatchmountainclub.org/calen...?activity=bike

Notice they do service projects (red), so they would be good contacts.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.