Thread: best starter out long distance .308

best starter out long distance .308

Well... what do you think.

I wanna learn to shoot deep, heard the savage is a good gun any deals or suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: best starter out long distance .308

Quote Originally Posted by mattl

I wanna learn to shoot deep, heard the savage is a good gun any deals or suggestions?
    How deep? 500 yards, 600, 1000 yards?

My first suggestion, is get some wind flags and learn how to use them. When you are starting out shooting long range, learning to dope the wind will be more important than what kind of rifle you are using. And really, even after you get really good at long range shooting, how well you dope the wind will still be more important than the rifle you are using.

At long range, wind is everything.

- DAA

Quote Originally Posted by DAA

My first suggestion, is get some wind flags and learn how to use them. When you are starting out shooting long range, learning to dope the wind will be more important than what kind of rifle you are using. And really, even after you get really good at long range shooting, how well you dope the wind will still be more important than the rifle you are using.

- DAA
    Very well said DAA. I couldn't agree with you more. Wind is everything when it comes to long range shooting. If you want to spend some bucks there are several long range shooting courses that give you an intro into the sport. I am not sure exactly what they cover, but I know they are out there. Let us know what you end up with..

This gun may not look like it but it is the best long range gun for the money on the market. This is a Schmidt-Rubin 7.5 x 54.5. The most accurate rifle in World War II. My friend is a competition shooter in Shoots that involve fire arms predating the 70s. He has won several shoots with this gun with many successful shots at over 1000 yards, and that's open site mind you. You can pick one of these guns up for under $150 at big 5 and a good gun smith can set it up for a scope.

Here is a website about the caliber. Don't let the old look of the weapon discourage you, you won't find a deeper shooter for this price.
    http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP
    This gun may not look like it but it is the best long range gun for the money on the market. This is a Schmidt-Rubin 7.5 x 54.5. The most accurate rifle in World War II. My friend is a competition shooter in Shoots that involve fire arms predating the 70s. He has won several shoots with this gun with many successful shots at over 1000 yards, and that's open site mind you. You can pick one of these guns up for under $150 at big 5 and a good gun smith can set it up for a scope.

Here is a website about the caliber. Don't let the old look of the weapon discourage you, you won't find a deeper shooter for this price.
    http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/
    I understand about the looks and all. not really a big deal to me.
    I just want a good shooter to learn on with some relative standard casing size.

What does everyone have as a distance shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by DAA

- DAA

DAA,
    Thanks for the input. I don't really know how far. Id like to start by hitting 300 on a regular basis then then move up to 1000. I want to do it for fun mainly.
    I have heard of stories on the wind and of the different calibers and the movement trajectories and all that jazz.
    wind man.. is there really anything good that comes from it?

I would really suggest the Savage, I went with the Law enforcement model, and got a muzzle brake put on it, this last weekend we took some old golf clubs out and jamed them in the ground at 100, 200, 250, 300, 350, and 400 yards myself as well as my friend with the same set up, he just put the choate sniper stock on his, were hitting the heads of the golf clubs on the first shot all the way out to the 400, I used to be anti-accutrigger, now I absolutely Love it!!!

Yes I have been looking at the savage and heard good things about it. heard some limitations from barrel lengeth.
    Also been looking at the 700 sps varmint in 308.

I'd go with the new barret .460 good to 2500 meters.
    2006' Honda Rubicon 26" Mud Lite XTR's 2500lb Winch
    1989' Honda 250R Laeger Everything, Durablue Axle. 310 Big Bore ported, Pollished, Milled. PEP Shocks. Paul Turner Pipe & Silencer. Renthal Bars. Custom Air Box K&N Filter. Runnin 110

Rem. LTR with Nikon tactical..

I've shot a lot of "long-range" marketed rifles (Remington Sendero, Remington Tactical, Winchester Model 70 Varmint, and others) and none of them have beaten my Savage 112 BVSS out of the box. Mine is a 7mm Rem. Mag, but my dad has a .223 and they're both incredible. 1/4 to 1/2 MOA out to 1400 yards (we've never found a day with windless conditions enough to try anything farther).
    Scars are proof...