Thread: Twin Falls, Challis, Idaho Falls, Afton, Bear Lake, etc.

Twin Falls, Challis, Idaho Falls, Afton, Bear Lake, etc.

We'll be chewing up some pavement on Friday morning and back to Salt Lake on Saturday Afternoon. It'll be about 1000 miles of the good stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you're staying in Salmon....

I've been on every inch of your intended path and it's a good one.

If you're staying in Salmon, there is a barbeque place right on the main street. The guy who runs it enters competitions all over the states. It's worth a visit if you're hungry. A buddy of mine and I were there last Fall... it was a highlight of our trip.

There is also a B & B just outside of town, high on a hill overlooking everywhere..... the price was reasonable and the breakfast was fantastic. The man and wife are Mississippi transplants. It's a 3-4 story log home.

Have fun and ride safetly. I would love to join up but a leak in my irrigation main valve says stay home and dig.

What happened to the Pony Express Trail?

Thanks for the tips. We yanked the reins from the trip leader. He rides an Aprilia Caponord, just had some TKC's put on and wanted to chew up some dirt. We wanted some high mountain twisties.

The trip was great! Everything went as planned and we got to see some beautiful country. We ended up taking a little bit different route from Idaho Falls. (I have amended the map located above, its pretty close, but doesn't reflect a couple dirt roads.) We headed over into Wyoming and past Palisades Reservoir, which was a GREAT choice. Double Moo had a few scary moments with his iPod, which could have resulted in hearing only his engine for 6 or 700 miles. I was able to get it to reboot and we kept on trucking. We shacked out in Idaho Falls at the Shilo, ate at a risky Mexican place and then hit the pool and jacuzzi. Here are a few photos. . .

Bogley BigShot
    Great shots! Looks like a fun trip!

For a thousand mile trip you would think that we could take a few more pictures. We suck at this ride report posting duty.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    For a thousand mile trip you would think that we could take a few more pictures. We suck at this ride report posting duty.
    I agree, we suck. But I have all the images stored in my head now.

Acca...

You need to post a photo of your rear tire - just for proof of the complete usage outside the standard "chicken strips".

Then change that map to indicate our route from Challis through Patterson to Howe to Butte.

That is all...

Yup, unfortunately map quest wouldn't map that road. If you want to send me an updated copy from your mapping program we could post it. BTW. . .I rode to work in the rain this morning and it washed a good amount of the bugs off.

I love those pictures

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Most of my trips have included a course correction or two. And I love 'risky' Mexican restaurants. The others serve Mexican type food and are usually run by gringos.

A couple of other shots from this trip.

OK so that was unsuccessful.....

I'll attempt it again when I have a responsible teenager at home to guide me through it!!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    A couple of other shots from this trip.

OK so that was unsuccessful.....

I'll attempt it again when I have a responsible teenager at home to guide me through it!!
    Use this tutorial and free program: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718

Trying this again
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hey Acca,

What brand/model of tires are you running? Have you tried the Dunlop Dual Sport D908? My brother is having some trouble getting life out of different brands/models of tires with his big ass KTM950 Super Enduro. His is currently running Continental TKC80 tires, and is only getting about 1200 miles from them. Mostly dirtroads and trails. I told him that that big bitch is just a tire hungry whore, and will be chewing up whatever he puts on it.

Whatcha running on that big bitch of yours? What kinda life you getting?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

On my KTM I run dunlop 606's and on my beemer I run Avon Distanza's. I think the TKC's might be his best choice for a lot of miles. The pavement will chew up any dirt tire and really fast. I don't ride my KTM on the road much and I don't ride my beemer in the dirt much. Really depends on what type of riding he does. Probably mostly on the road? 15-25% dirt?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    On my KTM I run dunlop 606's and on my beemer I run Avon Distanza's. I think the TKC's might be his best choice for a lot of miles. The pavement will chew up any dirt tire and really fast. I don't ride my KTM on the road much and I don't ride my beemer in the dirt much. Really depends on what type of riding he does. Probably mostly on the road? 15-25% dirt?
    Most all of this riding is on dirt, and he only rides pavement to get to the dirt, so about 70/30 dirt/pavement. He actually says that the dirt roads are actually chunking up his rear tire. Dirtrider magazine (and some others) were talking about the 950 SE destrroying tires. I think his wife just bought him the D908 Dunlop Dual Sports (I am not a big dunlop fan, but for street tires). We'll see how they fair I guess. I was wondering what you were using is all. I did notice that most of your Beemer riding is street now though.

What kinda mileage you getting on the Avon's?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...