Thread: Neff's Canyon to Millcreek

Neff's Canyon to Millcreek

Does the trail from Neff's Canyon connect into Millcreek Canyon? I've heard that it does, and it looks like it does from topo maps, but I can't figure out which trail it would be in Millcreek. (One would think the Neff's Canyon trail, but that ends at Mount Aire, which is entirely the wrong direction).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes and two trails actually connect from Neffs Canyon to Millcreek. One is not on the 7.5 minute maps.

Neffs Canyon connects with the Desolation Trail (or Thayne Canyon), which of course connects with all the other trails on the south side of Millcreek. This one is on the topo map.

The other trail I mention also connects with the Desolation Trail, but farther south and passes below and to the south of Peak 9776 before connecting near Mt. Raymond. This trail is indistinct in places.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks Scott. I figured you would know.

I think I'll try the first option that connects to the Desolation Trail.

My wife and I hiked Neffs to the saddle on Memorial Day. Amazing that most people stop at the meadow. We met another hiker up there that was finishing down Neffs from the 2nd hike that Scott mentions. We summited peak 9642 and the photo with my wife in it shows peak 9776 that Scott mentions. You can barely see the trail. There is some snow up there and it makes it hard to follow any trail towards the top of Neffs. Normally the trail goes right by the trough and this time we stumbled on it but no other tracks were near it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I went up yesterday, and continued through the meadow until I lost the trail in the snow above the meadow. I would have continued higher, except I was wearing ankle socks (duh) and didn't want to wade through the snow. I also had my dog with me, and figured I couldn't go much higher until without hitting the watershed.

I got to the Neff's trailhead around 6:45, and there was only one other car in the lot, and that guy was just walking the jeep trail. So, I had the entire trail to myself until the return trip. By the time I got to the bottom the lot was full. I'm sure glad I got an early start.