Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon House - Cedar Mesa

Moon House - Cedar Mesa

We visited Moon House Ruin last weekend. This is one of the best Cedar Mesa Ruins I've visited.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, very nice. Yet another site to add to my ever growing list of places to go.

You're trying to force me into joining COF, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    You're trying to force me into joining COF, aren't you?
    You will join the Dark Side sooner or later..... the force is strong on the Dark Side
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was wondering when you would add this site to Climb-Utah.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

I've wanted to visit Moon House for a long time and it worked out great for this trip.

[B]New day dawns at southern Utah's Moon House
    Southeast Utah

Did you find the rattlesnake who was at home on the trail? Was there both times when we went in and out the day we were there last month

The original pics are from a 2007 trip. I just tagged the article about permits to the bottom of an old TR to keep all the Moon House stuff together... so "no" we didn't see the snake.

Any difficulties getting a permit? What was the process?

I have been going down to the Mesa for the past 10 years or so...have spent approximately 60 days in the area...I have never seen it very busy. However, the Moonhouse is awesome and does need protecting. I am not sure about anyone else on this site but I struggle giving out too much information on places in sites like this, TRs, etc. Especially, when ancient structures 100 of years old are involved. I never know who is going to get the information in the long run. Permits can be a pain but I want my children to check out some of the same places I have...I don't want to say "you should have been here 10 years ago or so..."

Random Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha View Post
    Any difficulties getting a permit? What was the process?
    According to the article above the permit limit has yet to be reached since it was implemented. The biggest day so far was 24 of the 36 permits. I expect Memorial Weekend will be the first time the limit is hit.

Moon House - Cedar Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    According to the article above the permit limit has yet to be reached since it was implemented. The biggest day so far was 24 of the 36 permits. I expect Memorial Weekend will be the first time the limit is hit.
    Maybe.....but we were there last year on Memorial Day weekend and didn't see another person all day.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

I have been to Moon House several times on busy weekends and only ever met one other group, which was a family of 5.

I fully expect the Moon House Permit system to quickly deteriorate into the same quagmire that canyoneers now experience in regards to Zion Backcountry permits.... its d

I was actually at Moon House back in 2008. It was suggested to us by a couple we met out at the Citadel, Moon house was one of their recommended places that not a lot of people know about. However when we got there we were AMAZED to find 10-15 other people out there during our hour/hour and a half time slot we spent there. Not that I agree with the whole permit thing, but its sad when you find people climbing on and over things just because its 'not in a national park.'
    em :)

[QUOTE=Iceaxe;402574]I have been to Moon House several times on busy weekends and only ever met one other group, which was a family of 5.

I fully expect the Moon House Permit system to quickly deteriorate into the same quagmire that canyoneers now experience in regards to Zion Backcountry permits.... its d

UPDATE: Moon House is now limited to 20 people per day (was 35). I asked why the reduction in permit numbers and was told because they never limited out last year they decided to lower the number to 20.

What a dumbass reason....

Anyhoo... they have already limited out a couple times this year...

I mean really.... what good is a limited entry permit if you can't send people away without being able to visit one onf the finest attractions on Cedar Mesa.

The wife and I filmed this last Friday....

22. Likes Maya liked this post