Thread: 144 Graffiti Artists Converge On Building in Salt Lake City

144 Graffiti Artists Converge On Building in Salt Lake City

Nearly 150 graffiti artists have the opportunity to literally cover every surface of a large building in Salt Lake City with their artwork.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richleg...7600269819667/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i have some friends that have done some work in that building.
    i encourage everyone to go check it out
    stuff like this doesn't happen often in the SLC

i've taken my kids through it a couple of times, they love it.

wont be long and it all gets torn down

Bogley BigShot
    There is some good stuff there....

Some other images are a bit scarey.

Graffiti artists Defacing public and private property and they call themselves artists, I call them vandals. I understand in this situation permission was giving to do what they do and that the ones that are so talented are probably not out defacing property that doesn't belong to them, but they have in the past. And, you have a plethora of others that continue to deface buildings to bridges and trains to trailers all over this country. Artists in this case are just glorified vandals.

I'm done venting

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Graffiti artists Defacing public and private property and they call themselves artists, I call them vandals. I understand in this situation permission was giving to do what they do and that the ones that are so talented are probably not out defacing property that doesn't belong to them, but they have in the past. And, you have a plethora of others that continue to deface buildings to bridges and trains to trailers all over this country. Artists in this case are just glorified vandals.

I'm done venting
    all that spew and nothing said...whata shame.

i have a dollar you can borrow, maybe you can buy yourself a clue...

classic overly conservative response on a Utah subject from someone in another state. dont you get tired of making everything you post about on this website some sort of political statement. maybe you should spend more time on pirate, you'll likely fit in more there...

i havent even started venting

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    all that spew and nothing said...whata shame.
    I guess you're one that holds a spray can that could paint on wet surfaces. We have legal places for the Taggers to go, but they want notoriety, hence the reasons for trains and trailers that travel across the US. I know all too much about vandals and paint cans. If you want to call defacing public and private property art, so be it. It always will be viewed by the masses as vandalism.
    What's political about this?

My buddy has work in there. By no means would he waste his talent vandalizing a building or anything else.

That was a pretty generalized and uneducated comment.

These are artists, not taggers. BIG difference. Artists paint murals, taggers sign their names.

Sadly the doors are now closed to the building. I'm really bummed I missed seeing the inside!

I was there the opening night - it was insane. There was a 2 hour line just to get into the building, and totally worth it. The artwork inside and out was amazing to see, I'm just sad I didn't have my camera with me.

I wish SLC would have more public artspaces like this. There's a lot of talent out there, and it's fun to see it showcased like that.

Here's the project's website: http://337project.org/
    The links on the right show some of the work in progress.

I thought it was amazing.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Heather and I checked it out tonight, really cool stuff!

That's some pretty amazing stuff! That kind of art is what got my oldest interested in finishing school & then going to college...Id say that was worth the so called vandalism refocusing, and my son who just graduated highschool is also going into college with an art degree in mind. Now, I know we are all subject to our own opinions on graffiti/vandalism...call it what you will...but I like to keep an open mind and encourage creativity wherever I can. You never know what kind of an influence this stuff has on people.