Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parunuweap

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    nice pics-will be there tomorow.

Where you the one that was going to do Mineral?
    yes,did a huge mineral hike.
    got done and had a thunderbird fajita and couple chasing tails
    found a cool panel up a side canyon,an arch and a 200' headwall(not in mineral though,side canyon of mineral) will post some pics when I get time.
    I had to ask what a tail was. I must not get out much.

I want to know much more! Directions to this stuff! Photos! Etc!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Wow, really neat looking place. Looks like I'll have to add it to October's list! Thanks Tanya and Bo!
    Since you are getting into canyoneering, you can add Fat Man's Misery to the hike.

You SLC boys probably know who Chris Draper is from the Outdoor Radio Show?

This is him in Fat Man's on a trip with Bo and I. He interviewed me for his show. It was scarey. I said all the wrong things!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index62.htm

all I can say is WOW!! I'd love to hike this....maybe I can get my bro to go with me since he's on here now ...dont know when really but a nice thought

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    all I can say is WOW!! I'd love to hike this....maybe I can get my bro to go with me since he's on here now ...dont know when really but a nice thought
    If you go.... do the full meal deal! Take 2 vehicles and set up one at Elephant Butte. That makes a much nicer exit and you get to hike in the river more.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-canyon.htm

You can still go into the canyon via the Powell Plaque and use the exit on this page... thus avoiding any rope work and the technical section of Pweap.

You would exit through this cool little side canyon if you set up a 4WD shuttle and avoid the long haul back to Checkerboard Mesa.

Bogley BigShot
    amazing! - that last shot reminds me of hiking on Kauai of all places....I GOTTA get down there sometime!
    One word of caution! When going into this "exit" canyon.... put your back against the canyon wall..... and lean back as far as possible.

You will be much happier at the end of the day.

Bogley BigShot
    amazing! - that last shot reminds me of hiking on Kauai of all places....I GOTTA get down there sometime!
    Here is even a young surfer looking boy in the exit canyon (Joe's French Canyon) to make it look more like Kauai...

Bogley BigShot
    Ah! now I see...you are teasing me with a lure of the hike, the surf, and scenery...it's working!
    But still letting you know of the poison ivy!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    Bo has the trail report updated and the photo album is done. What a photogenic place! I love it!

Photos
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index42.htm

Trip Report - This one is for those that want to avoid the technical slot section, Fat Man's Misery.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-hike.htm

Labyrinth Falls

Sulfur Spring

You guys got some really sweet pictures

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    really nice pics

we started down Monday,spent too much time dillydallying along and turned back after five hours(from poverty trail).
    Got home and checked my coordinates off the gps and I was within 800' of misery.
    I think we missed the best,we came out faster than we went in and would of had plenty of time but were being cautious,we had a 10:00pm deadline to call when we were out,made it by 3 hours,damn--shoulda-woulda-coulda

now I will have to go back

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    We are getting this picture stuff down! I looked through my photos from the last few trips through there and they are just down right sad compared to what we got this time! Bo and I even talked about taking a photo class. Maybe... just maybe... some day we will shoot on something besides Auto.

Bogley BigShot
    really nice pics

we started down Monday,spent too much time dillydallying along and turned back after five hours(from poverty trail).
    Got home and checked my coordinates off the gps and I was within 800' of misery.
    I think we missed the best,we came out faster than we went in and would of had plenty of time but were being cautious,we had a 10:00pm deadline to call when we were out,made it by 3 hours,damn--shoulda-woulda-coulda

now I will have to go back
    OH bummer!!! Those narrows between Fat Man's and the Powell Plaque are magnificent...

Don't tell the park I said this.... but....

They are much better than the Zion Narrows!

It's always better to be cautious! I am always pushing the limits, but Bo makes sure we are always safe. I have done this route more times than anything in or near Zion... its worth redoing!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I might have to retrack after hiking the narrows yesterday! The Zion Narrows --- full thing... is really spectacular! Maybe even more so than gorgeous Parunuweap!

One thing that is great about doing the Zion narrows from the top is you know you are going the right direction when you start to see all the tourists near the end.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by mrabe1979
    One thing that is great about doing the Zion narrows from the top is you know you are going the right direction when you start to see all the tourists near the end.
    Yes! Big Springs is where they started to hang out in mass!

So, Tanya, which of your route descriptions on your site describes the exact trip you took in this report.

Also - I've been looking at this site -

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/barracks_desc.cfm

Thinking about the possiblity of doing a a overnight trip as described, in early October.

Thoughts?
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Quote Originally Posted by fouristhenewone
    So, Tanya, which of your route descriptions on your site describes the exact trip you took in this report.

Thinking about the possiblity of doing a a overnight trip as described, in early October.

Thoughts?
    That's Joe's site. He posts a lot in the Zion Hiking group --- so you could ask him questions there a be sure to get a response.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/

It would be Bo and my last hike in a couple of weeks ago... we started at Checkerboard Mesa and Entered Pweap at the Powell Plaque and then exited the same way we came.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-hike.htm

It gets confusing. There are so many ways to go on this one!
    Early October is great for this hike..... overnight would be awesome. You could spend a lot of time in there exploring the side canyons .... more than just 2 days if you wanted, but 2 days makes it nice. (all but carrying all the gear)

Quote Originally Posted by fouristhenewone

Thinking about the possiblity of doing a a overnight trip as described, in early October. Thoughts?
    Hey - that site looks familiar... My thoughts: DO IT! And if you have more than two days available, do 2 or 3 -- there are plenty little side canyons to explore. A GPS and topo are useful for tracking progress -- the East Fork isn't too deep until the Barracks near the park boundary, so even my cheapo old GPS works well here. Not too many idyllic places to camp (IMO) though, so keep your eyes peeled for oportunities. -Joe

Visitors found this page by searching for:

labyrinth falls east fork of virgin

french canyon entrance to parunuweap canyon

parunuweap ruins zion