Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Is It #6 -- Contest Closed

Where Is It #6 -- Contest Closed

After a significant delay, the Where Is It contest is back by popular demand! Tom Jones has very generously agreed to provide canyoneering gear at a significant discount once again. The prize for this contest will be a brand spankin new 60-meter Imlay Canyon Rope (9mm). Take a look at Tom's other quality canyoneering gear at www.canyoneeringusa.com

Contest #7 will be slightly different from the other contests which required a photo of yourself in the contest location. This contest will still require that you travel to the posted location, but instead of taking a picture of the location, you must retrieve a four digit code, and post that code to this thread. Looking at the photo you will notice a small rock cairn at the bottom. I have lightly penciled in a four digit code on the underside of the bottom rock. Find the location of this photo, retrieve the code, and post it here. The first person to submit the correct code gets the rope. Bonus points go to whoever knows what the code means.

A few things....

1. Don't blurt out the location of the photo here! Nobody cares that you might know where this is. What matters is that you know where it is, and are the first to physically travel there. Blurting out the location also spoils the fun for everyone else.

2. If this contest goes a while with no winners, hints may be given. I am also willing to entertain yes or no questions via PM.

3. The location of this photo is on public land, and requires a 30 - 60 minute hike from the main road (visible in the photo), depending on which route you take, and how fast you hike.

4. Good Luck!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dangit! Only took me five minutes to find it on a topo map, then I managed to get a decent facsimile in Google Earth. Does this count? Maybe if nobody gets it by Friday I'll take a drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blog | FB

You're good!!

Do we get any hints at all?

Cause I don't believe I drove past Green River enough this week....

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    You're good!!
    Good? That's incredible!

The contest is back. . .sweetness!

I know where that is, but dang give us something alpine. Too friggen hot in the desert now.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott, we are all ears!

Pretty far for us SLC folks, I will be down there next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    So you know where this is then?

If you want a hint, here's a few thoughts to get you started...

Focus on the high peaks in the background -- where in Utah are there high alpine peaks that are also very close to redrock?

The road is also a clue.

This photo was taken looking in a northwest direction.

That should get you started...

I'm on it like a fat kid on a pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    I'm on it like a fat kid on a pizza!
    I prefer pepperoni.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    So you know where this is then?

If you want a hint, here's a few thoughts to get you started...

Focus on the high peaks in the background -- where in Utah are there high alpine peaks that are also very close to redrock?

The road is also a clue.

This photo was taken looking in a northwest direction.

That should get you started...
    Yes I found it, once I posted, it's a good 5 hour drive for me

Near Lunar Canyon?
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

code is U308

fat kid got his pizza

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    code is U308
    Sweet, congrats! Did you see any yellow rocks in the area?
    Blog | FB

U308...?

OK, where is it?
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Nice Job!! I see you're from Durango, so this was relatively close to you. The sandstone monolith in the foreground is Big Indian Rock, and the alpine mountians seen in the background are the La Sals. I drive that road every day on my way home from work, and thought it would've been a perfect hiding spot for this contest because it is so far away from the beaten path and hwy 191.

The code "U3O8" is a reference to a concentrated uranium oxide called "Yellowcake" that was produced from the uranium ores mined in this area by Charlie Steen back in the 1950's. Charlie Steen is famous for touching off a uranium mining boom in this part of Utah similar to California's gold rush in the 1850's. His most famous and most prolific mine was the "Mi Vida" mine, which lies very near Big Indian Rock. So, a little bit of history to go along with your new rope.

Hey mrbrejcha, go ahead and PM me your mailing address. And once again....nice work!