Thread: Discussion: Bike weight vs. People weight

Discussion: Bike weight vs. People weight

I've been thinking about the weight of mountain bikes. My friend rides a Giant Reign 1 (2006) which is a few pounds heavier than my Enduro.

My thoughts: If I weigh 220 lbs and my bike weighs 30 lbs and I want to reduce ride weight - what is the difference between spending hundreds of dollars on special, lightweight components and getting it down to 28 lbs. versus dropping my body weight to a respectable 200 lbs.?

Is there some sort of ratio that makes sense of this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rolling resistance is what really makes the difference. Having lighter rims, tires, and tubes will make the most difference as far as making the bike lighter. I carry a 12-15lb camelback hawg on my back, so saving grams on components doesn't make much sense for me.

I NEVER worry about bike weight simply because I ride so many different ones but HEY, if you ride it enough(consistently) the body weight will come off and then ANY extra weight on the bike will be minimal

people ask me about the weight of my bike all the time..my answer..if i really worried about weight, i would take it off my a$# not my bike!!! a lot less expensive!
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

I don't think it matters much. I'm on a lightweight bike, but I'm 220 lbs, and then I carry 30+ lbs in gear when I'm filming.

And then REDFOX kicks my butt up the hill on his heavy hog.

actually , Ive never checked out just how much weight I carry around. It feels like about the same weight I carry underground so 30lbs maybe but think about this one...full body armor head to toe, a full camelback , full face helmet...and riding it for 5 miles - uphill, then to hike straight up a thousand feet only to bomb downhill in 5 minutes....& do it all again just for the rush....nuts Ive been called

As a general rule, for general all-around Mountainbiking, as long as your bike is <20% of you bodyweight you've got no excuses.

My general all-around Mountainbike is about 40lbs, but I'm a robust 225lbs. Hell, I should be climbin' like Ned!
    SCREW SEA OTTER!!!!!!! http://FuzzysBicycleworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy TheBikeGuy
    As a general rule, for general all-around Mountainbiking, as long as your bike is <20% of you bodyweight you've got no excuses.

My general all-around Mountainbike is about 40lbs, but I'm a robust 225lbs. Hell, I should be climbin' like Ned!
    It's funny you should say that 'cause usually if I try to ride one of those light weight-built for racing-nimble bikes I feel like I am gonna break it in two! I need the weight, or rather, the BEEF! I'll usually go to a shop and get on the bike, balance and throw it sideways to see how it flexes, how it balances, where it's 'center' feels like it is, and then go take it outside and try to ride a curb , rock back and forth HARD, stuff like that. I can generally fit a bike to myself pretty quick because I spend little time actually IN the saddle. If I can give it a quick mount/dismount and not feel like I am gonna go over the bars( find center grasshoppa) then Im in business....this all usually translates into something of a BEAST of a frame! KONA, ROCKY MNTN, SANTA CRUZ....even GT.
    Now, I know I cant fit a bike to everyone like that but you gotta think of what kind of riding are you gonna do the most with that bike...do you need two bikes? ....Fuzzy & I are thinking 'yeah, we'd like sell you two bikes' - not totally necessary really but a fun idea. FIRST - go test ride ALOT of bikes. SECOND - start with a cross country bike before you go up to a freeride bike..............I better let someone else step in here 'cause Im going off topic a little!

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    You are not fooling anyone geyhair, you imagine your in the industry, Oh wait I was wrong, I am kidding. I love the fact that I go on a trailride and my trail bike weighs in at 35 pounds an I am fine with that, the looks from the lightweight crowd are why I find the most durable parts and ride not care about the weight.
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore