Thread: Campsites in Kolob Creek (lower)

Campsites in Kolob Creek (lower)

Anyone know of campsites in Lower Kolob Creek, not far from the Zion Narrows, or maybe halfway between the MIA and Virgin on down?

We did hike that section (MIA to the Virgin) in 1994, but I don't remember any campsites since we didn't camp before reaching the river. From what I do remember, there wasn't much in the way of possible campsites.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are a couple of marginal places you could bivy but nothing I would call a campsite. I looked at this option pretty hard last time through with the idea I could skip a Narrows camping permit next time through. My final conclusion was you are best off getting a Narrows campsite permit.

YMMV

There are a couple of marginal places you could bivy but nothing I would call a campsite.
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

My final conclusion was you are best off getting a Narrows campsite permit.
    Agreed, but it appears that they're already all full below Kolob Creek for the weekend I was thinking of going. Unlike Canyoneering and day trip permits, looks like they don't save any Narrows overnight permits for walk-ins. Unless the walkin sites are numbered different?

Oh well; I should have tried to get one earlier.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Any campsite #3 thru #12 will work. We often get one of the sites above Kolob because they are easier to get for some reason. Only about a 15 minite walk from Kolob to Deep Creek (Camp 3).

Any campsite #3 thru #12 will work.
    Everything's already full except site 2. Better than nothing I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Everything's already full except site 2.
    I like camp #2, easy to explore from

Re: Campsites in Kolob Creek (lower)

Anyone know of campsites in Lower Kolob Creek, not far from the Zion Narrows, or maybe halfway between the MIA and Virgin on down?
    Yeah, I don't remember any such campsites. However, there is passable camping by the MIA exit. From there, it is a reasonable days hike (6-8 hours) to Temple of Sinwava. That's what I did.

Nat

However, there is passable camping by the MIA exit. From there, it is a reasonable days hike (6-8 hours) to Temple of Sinwava. That's what I did.
    Me thinks my wife would kill me if I made her walk all the way from MIA to Temple of Sinawava in 6-8 hours. Or at least give me a good beating.

I think I'll just try camp 2.

Agreed, but it appears that they're already all full below Kolob Creek for the weekend I was thinking of going. Unlike Canyoneering and day trip permits, looks like they don't save any Narrows overnight permits for walk-ins. Unless the walkin sites are numbered different?
    They do leave half of the overnight sites open to walk-ins. Looking at the reservation website looks like site's 1 ,5, 7, 10, 11 and 12 are not available for reservation. My guess these are the sites that are open to those walk-ins up to the day before. At least this was the case when I did it in '05.

James

They do leave half of the overnight sites open to walk-ins. Looking at the reservation website looks like site's 1 ,5, 7, 10, 11 and 12 are not available for reservation. My guess these are the sites that are open to those walk-ins up to the day before.
    Thanks! I with they would just say that on their website! Thanks for the info.

Scott, Tom and I camped just after the long skinny waterfall you can see after all the rappelling is done.

From my notes:

"At 4:00 pm after 10

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    This waterfall is several hundred feet long and is an impressive, inspiring sight.
    That is a cool waterfall..... camping there would make for a very loooong second day if heading out through the Narrows.