Thread: Basic Rappelling in Moab area?

Basic Rappelling in Moab area?

My wife's cousin's wife just called me and asked me if I knew of any areas in Moab that a youth group could go rappelling. She says that they have some experienced people who will be doing the instruction, but they haven't been able to find any areas that are good... They have a group that will be heading down there in a few weeks on a trip.

If it were me, I would just find a random cliff that was about 80 to 120 feet high, drive a jeep up to it, and rap off the bumper - but there's probably a reason I'm not a youth group leader

I guess anywhere with a good rap that's got natural anchors or maybe even bolts about 30 to 50 feet off the ground would be ideal.

I don't know Moab very well at all, so any info is appreciated :)
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any natural anchors near the Mill Creek swimming hole?

Hey, Shane - any natural anchors near the Mill Creek swimming hole?

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/mill.htm

That might be a good area. I doubt they would want to rap into water (these are kids, probably going to be pooping their pants just getting on a rope - let alone trying to disconnect in water) but it looks like the little cliffs around there are about 20 or 30 feet high - which would be a good youth-group rap height I would think.

Hell, I'd tell them to use a couple fat guys as meat anchors and have them rap over the lip of one of those cliffs, but I don't know how well the idea of a meat anchor goes over with n00bs.
    -----

Millcreek had a couple of spots higher up that could possibly be used for a rap. But it will be busier there on Memorial Day than I-15 at 5pm! On the other hand, the hike is great during the summer heat, since the water is right there. I am thinking of the rap by the second hole on the left, a lot less busy and a possibility to spot some couple making out

I don't think they are going down this weekend - I think it is in a few weeks. Mill Creek seems like as good a place as any.
    -----

Tier drop might be another good route. If you have people/leaders who know what they are doing, this is a great rappel spot.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/tierdrop.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Tier drop might be another good route. If you have people/leaders who know what they are doing, this is a great rappel spot.

Concur.

There's also a place that all of the locals around here like to go to practice rappelling that is called "Jailhouse Rock," which is between Monticello and Moab, just off hwy 191. I've never been out there, but I hear there are bolts and gradual walk-down rappels -- from 30 feet to 140 feet. I could find out more if you want.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

Concur.

There's also a place that all of the locals around here like to go to practice rappelling that is called "Jailhouse Rock," which is between Monticello and Moab, just off hwy 191. I've never been out there, but I hear there are bolts and gradual walk-down rappels -- from 30 feet to 140 feet. I could find out more if you want.
    Yeah, if you have more information on Jailhouse Rock, that would be good. Sounds like a promising area. I'll also look into Teir drop.
    -----

Rockgremlin alerted me to this post so I will provide some info:

Jailhouse Rock is located just north of Monticello just off 191 (probably about 40 miles south of Moab). You turn off on the Overlooks Recreation Area Road - CR 133 or 138). The approximate coordinates are: 38,10.476, -109,25.000. It is the place all youth groups go to rapp.

The rock monolith is interesting to visit anyway as it has a huge pothole about halfway up that was supposedly used by a jealous husband to imprison his unfaithful wife.

Pros: it's got lots of anchors in place and lots of different heights and difficulties for rappelling and is is basically right next to the highway.

Cons: it's on private property and the highest routes are a little exposed on approach. The owner has, as far as I know, always been willing to allow local groups to practice there. If you want to contact him, send me a PM and I can get you a phone number.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Thanks Brewhaha!

IMHO, anchors in Tierdrop are not suitable for people learning to rappel. They may not be robust enough to handle the substantial loads a beginner might place on them, and communication on some of the drops is a bit difficult.

Bounty might be a better choice, as it has better anchors and easier communication.

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/moab/bounty.html

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Jailhouse Rock is located just north of Monticello just off 191 (probably about 40 miles south of Moab). You turn off on the Overlooks Recreation Area Road - CR 133 or 138). The approximate coordinates are: 38,10.476, -109,25.000. It is the place all youth groups go to rapp.

The rock monolith is interesting to visit anyway as it has a huge pothole about halfway up that was supposedly used by a jealous husband to imprison his unfaithful wife.

Pros: it's got lots of anchors in place and lots of different heights and difficulties for rappelling and is is basically right next to the highway.

Cons: it's on private property and the highest routes are a little exposed on approach. The owner has, as far as I know, always been willing to allow local groups to practice there. If you want to contact him, send me a PM and I can get you a phone number.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. This sounds to me like it would be a much better option than sending a group down to try to find a tree to rap off near Mill Creek.

I'm going to pass this info on, and if she is interested in this area I'll PM you to get ahold of the land owner.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker

IMHO, anchors in Tierdrop are not suitable for people learning to rappel. They may not be robust enough to handle the substantial loads a beginner might place on them, and communication on some of the drops is a bit difficult.

Bounty might be a better choice, as it has better anchors and easier communication.

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/moab/bounty.html

My 2 cents.

Good Call Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    IMHO, anchors in Tierdrop are not suitable for people learning to rappel.
    I agree....

Ya Ryan, you are totally right, Bounty is a great hike and intro to canyoneering/rappelling. Thanks for correcting me

I've been rappelling right by Lion's Back, and also over by the toll booth just up the road. This was about 7 years ago though, so I'm not sure if you can still access the spot near the toll booth.

The one by Lion's Back is right at the old entrance of it. There (was) a steel rod right in the rock that you could tie off on, but don't take my word on it! This may be long gone by now.

Climb up just before the toll booth and walk along the top of the rock towards Lion's Back. Make sure you check if it's still sturdy. I'm thinking it's about a 150' drop.