Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave Black's Canyoneering Book

Dave Black's Canyoneering Book

Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Canyoneering-G...9864707&sr=8-4

Any comments?

Just curious.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Best I can tell this book is not yet available....

COMING SOON: Preorder this item today and it should arrive on or just after 09/30/2007

But I just preordered a copy so I'll let you know when it gets here. Dave is pretty talented and a good teacher so it should be an excellent book. His Ice Climbing guide was well worth the coin.

Hmmmm..... wonder if the book had anything to do with Dave's recent departure from the ACA? Anyone hear anything about the ACA's eventually to be published book?

And from the receipt of my Amazon order.....

Shipping estimate for these items: January 2, 2008
    Delivery estimate: January 7, 2008 - January 9, 2008

So much for my big idea of buying you all a copy as a Christmas present.

Oops, never mind. I guess no one has read it yet. Postpone this thread until next January.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Since I received a PM this morning asking "what's the deal....."

Update: This book has yet to ship and the estimated date of release has been removed back... again.... I ordered a copy of this book nearly a year ago and it has yet to ship. The release date keeps getting moved back.

God only knows when this book will be released, and he's not really sure.....

I wonder what the problem is...?

Has the book still yet to be written? :) A year delay seems excessive.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: I wonder what the problem is...?

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk
    Has the book still yet to be written? :) A year delay seems excessive.
    The book was originally planned for release at the OR winter show, Jan 2008. Falcon lists their books before they are released, on Amazon and to the retailers, in order to get the most bang at the moment of release.

The book has been delayed (for the first time) a couple of months. I have seen an early draft, so we know it actually exists. Expect it out in April/May/June timeframe.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    The book has been delayed (for the first time) a couple of months.
    How do you figure.... or is this a Amazon thing?

I originally purchased the book in May of 2007 from Amazon and was sent a receipt saying the book would be shipped in September of 2007. In September of 2007 I was send a message from Amazon saying the book was delayed and would be sent in January of 2008. In January of 2008 I was sent a message saying the book would ship Spring of 2008....

Now on the plus side..... Amazon has not billed me yet and tells me they will not bill me until the book is sent. Also.... each time they send me a message saying the book is delayed they also give me an opportunity to cancel my order.

Anyhoo... that's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The book has been delayed (for the first time) a couple of months.
    How do you figure.... or is this a Amazon thing?

I originally purchased the book in May of 2007 from Amazon and was sent a receipt saying the book would be shipped in September of 2007. In September of 2007 I was send a message from Amazon saying the book was delayed and would be sent in January of 2008. In January of 2008 I was sent a message saying the book would ship Spring of 2008....

Now on the plus side..... Amazon has not billed me yet and tells me they will not bill me until the book is sent. Also.... each time they send me a message saying the book is delayed they also give me an opportunity to cancel my order.
    Amazon thing. Falcon releases their list for Jan 08 in Aug 07. The initial release date was always going to be Jan 08, just Amazon did not get the availability into their computer correctly. So, it has only been delayed once (so far).

Tom

Amazon thing. Falcon releases their list for Jan 08 in Aug 07. The initial release date was always going to be Jan 08, just Amazon did not get the availability into their computer correctly. So, it has only been delayed once (so far).

Tom
    Although, considering the first post in this thread was in MAY, perhaps this is the second time they have blown it back a season.

Tom

The book has been delayed from the publisher and not from Dave, or Amazon. I have it on good authority that the delay however was on purpose and for good reasons. You will be glad you waited for the later release instead of having it when the original date was going to be. I too am waiting for my shipment to fulfill pre-orders.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

My copy of the book which was order May 2007 shipped today from Amazon..... what's a year among friends.

I'll let ya'll know what I think of the book after I've had a chance to look through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug

The book has been delayed from the publisher and not from Dave, or Amazon. I have it on good authority that the delay however was on purpose and for good reasons. You will be glad you waited for the later release instead of having it when the original date was going to be. I too am waiting for my shipment to fulfill pre-orders.
    Jared sent me one, and it is really good. Haven't had the chance to sit down and read it, but reading a page here and there, I am very impressed. Good job, Dave!!

http://www.northwashoutfitters.com/s...&productId=163

Tom

My copy of the book which was order May 2007 shipped today from Amazon..... what's a year among friends.

I'll let ya'll know what I think of the book after I've had a chance to look through it.
    Have you had a chance to look it over, Ice? Can you provide an unbiased review? Or is Dave paying ya to keep quiet?

"The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

It's worth the money.... still not all the in depth info I was hoping for.... but I'm thinking that's going to take a "Freedom of the Canyons" type of book" to do that... The book kind of bounces around... kinda talking to noob and then expert....

But my though is if you pick up one or two tricks it's worth the coin. I learned a few things from the book and I still have not read all of it... I would buy it again, which is really to bottomline... but what do I know... I think $30 a year for a truck load of beta is a bargin.

Some of the book gets old fast to me like talking about different types of rap devices..... but everyone knows I'm a god like expert so that's to be expected.

As I said... I still have not read the complete book, I have learned a few things from what I have read so far...

and once you have absorbed the canyoneering techniques, you will need the logical sequel in the series...

signature

"Eh, good one"--
    You can rest when you're dead

So, I have a lot of free time on my hands right now and I have decided to catch-up on my reading. Somewhere along the way, I forgot to buy this book. With Bo's assistance, I now have the book. Thanks Bo!

I haven't read it yet - I have a lot of time to do that - but after thumbing through the pages for the last 45 minutes or so, there is a lot of great information in this book!

I hope that I'm the only one that missed this book.

opppps

another excellent read ...

On Writing Books by Dave Black