Thread: Yosemite / Sequoia, CA Hiking & Camping (non-Utah)

Yosemite / Sequoia, CA Hiking & Camping (non-Utah)

Well, first of all, I think that hiking, backpacking, and camping should be in the same one, so don't anyone get your panties in a bunch because I posted my hiking and camping in one place.

The gf and I took a little trip to Sequoia and Yosemite over the extended weekend. We camped two nights, and the first day we hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls, which is about 2700' feet elevation gain, and 7.2 miles round-trip....so yeah, and lot of vertical gain pretty fast. The falls were running great, and the pictures (of course) do not do it justice. On the second day, we left from Happy Isles trail head and we hiked up the Mist trail past Vernal Falls (got pretty wet) and then Nevada Falls. The runoff was very good (not as good as last time I went, but pretty good none-the-less), and the sky was clear. This was about 2000' feet of elevation gain, and about 2+ miles one-way to Nevada Falls. On the way back, we bypassed Halfdome (did it last time, and the gf was not feeling it), and took the more gradual, but longer, John Muir travel back down to the bottom of Vernal Falls.

First night of camp was pretty quiet, and the second night our camp area around us (tent camping) had at least 5 bear encounters. I had to scare one of them away in the camp next to us who had at least 4-5 girls (and a couple guys) screaming "BEAR BEAR BEAR" from inside their tents. Then about 3 times after that I was awakened by the fuzzy guys getting scared off. I noticed at least two campsites around us were empty come morning, so I guessed they had enough and packed up and left in the middle of the night after all the bear activity. Oh well, my best sleep was from 5am to 7am I think. ha ha. Yes, we had EVERYTHING with a scent in the bear locker...even magazines with perfumes, chapstick, and so on.

Enjoy the pics. The beauty just flabbergasts me each time...
    Attached Images Attached Images                             
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WOW. That looks awesome. I love the last two pictures with half dome in them. Beautiful. Thanks for posting.
    The man thong is wrong.

Whoah that is AWESOME!! I must visit someday.

Looks like a good visit to that beautiful place. For the shots of Half Dome, did you hike up to Glacier Point or drive?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    WOW. That looks awesome. I love the last two pictures with half dome in them. Beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed them....those are only the tip of the iceberg as far as pics that I took, however, it gives you a good idea. The pics you mentioned were taken from Glacier Point.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Looks like a good visit to that beautiful place. For the shots of Half Dome, did you hike up to Glacier Point or drive?
    I wanted to hike up to Glacier Point, however, the gf was kinda out of it by the time we hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls, and halfway to Halfdome the next day, and walked most of Yosemite Valley. Yep, we drove to Glacier Point on our way out.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Whoah that is AWESOME!! I must visit someday.
    You should go sometime, as there is no way you would regret it. Just make sure you go before memorial day. From April-May is best really, as the runoff is usually at its peak, and just astounding. Sometimes by early Mid July-early August, some falls are only a trickle.
    ~Jason

by early Mid July-early August, some falls are only a trickle
    I was there in Sept once and Yosemite Falls was nothing but a dark spot on the wall. Unfortunately, in many years, the road to Glacier Point and the road to Tioga Pass don't open until early June.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    by early Mid July-early August, some falls are only a trickle
    I was there in Sept once and Yosemite Falls was nothing but a dark spot on the wall. Unfortunately, in many years, the road to Glacier Point and the road to Tioga Pass don't open until early June.
    Yeah, it is all still beautiful, however the early spring time is the only time to go for me! The runoff is just amazing, and pics do no justice (as you know from being there). Unless you are hiking backcountry, then maybe till end of july-august.
    ~Jason

noice, man, me love yo-semite & sequoia! that one of you and vernal falls is a keeper, good shot for the gf to have!

thanks for sharin' ... you can never have enough cali on a utah forum

Very nice. My wife and I were talking about going there soon. Thanks for the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Very nice. My wife and I were talking about going there soon. Thanks for the pics!
    Let me know if you need any tips/pointers on what to do, where to go, what to see.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    noice, man, me love yo-semite & sequoia! that one of you and vernal falls is a keeper, good shot for the gf to have!

thanks for sharin' ... you can never have enough cali on a utah forum
    Thanks Sefan. Notice my nice "garbage bag" rain coat....ha, you need it pretty much, well, if the water is cold enough, and you want to keep your camera dry.
    ~Jason

Awesome pics!

Ahhh...the big ditch...brings back a memory or two of some neat climbs...

Doing the Lost Arrow Spire in the spring with the Yos falls thunder in the background is pretty cool.

Good stuff.

-Brian in SLC

Yosemite is my favorite place on Earth. Thanks for the trip report