Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buckskin Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    My new, improved and revised Buckskin route descrition is now up.

Buckskin Gulch & Paria Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

This is a freebie route.

Enjoy
    Cool! I look forward to 23 days from now! Nice write up...I'll be sure to pack my poop!

I did the one day thing in '91' and just sort of flew through. Looking forward to taking some time in there this time.

Thanks Shane...nice writeup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When we picked up our permits the BLM supplied us with one ReStop for each permit.

Restop
    http://www.whennaturecalls.com/produ...ess-pouch.html

One thing I forgot to mention that I'll be adding. Watch for rattlesnakes!!! They are little midget fellas and hard to see. Watch where you put your hands and sit. I've never done this route without seeing at least one. I've always seen the snakes above the rock fall, never below. But that just might be a freak of where I spied them.

When we picked up our permits the BLM supplied us with one ReStop for each permit.

Restop
    http://www.whennaturecalls.com/produ...ess-pouch.html

One thing I forgot to mention that I'll be adding. Watch for rattlesnakes!!! They are little midget fellas and hard to see. Watch where you put your hands and sit. I've never done this route without seeing at least one. I've always seen the snakes above the rock fall, never below. But that just might be a freak of where I spied them.
    I've already stepped over 2 big ones this season without hardly noticing them. I better be wary! Thanks for the advice!

A couple more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

looks like it was a blast. we did buckskin overnight at the end of April, it was a lot of fun. been to lazy to get a trip report up.

how was the water? when we did it, the only deep water was between the Wire Pass confluence and Middle trail?

Here's some pics from our trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

That's the first canyon I ever did and it was by accident. We were there to shoot the Coyote Buttes in '92 and the photographer that I was working for had very bad directions, he had a habit of finding these hand drawn maps on the back of paper plates. We entered through wire pass but never took the cut-off...

We ended up just pushing on through the canyon scrapping the shoot for that day. That day probably changed my life.
    I'm out of bed and dressed, what more could you want?

www.sinuhexavier.com

I guess I will add this back to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    I guess I will add this back to my list.
    I can't imagine any canyoneer not having this slot on their list. And somewhere near the very top.

Was on my list back in 02, then heard some bad things about it. Since then have not heard it mentioned much, till now. After seeing the pics, well, back it goes. There are so many canyons, it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    heard some bad things about it.
    Only negative I have ever heard was that its not technical..... and I'm guessing your average hiker/backpacker would consider that a major positive.

If I had a top five list this would be in the top three

Probably the only canyons I have done more are Pine Creek and Keyhole.

Bogley BigShot
    Any more tips? Anything that is not obvious that one should not miss? Are the pictographs all in one spot?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Any more tips? Anything that is not obvious that one should not miss? Are the pictographs all in one spot?
    I just updated my route description:

That has about everything I can think of. I'm sure there is a lot I've missed. I find new items every time I go through the slot.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I just updated my route description:

That has about everything I can think of. I'm sure there is a lot I've missed. I find new items every time I go through the slot.

Read it!!! Good stuff, but now I am going to be thinking of silent creepy crawlers biting my ankles the whole way.

Glad to know the springs a springing too.

Bogley BigShot
    Bo and I did Buckskin today. We were going to backpack it but decided to just do it as a one day thing. Great canyon. I think I took more photos today than I did in the Narrows last week.

That's a lot of pph.

We saw no srs (silent rattle snakes)! Whew!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    did you go down and back out or down and up Paria?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    did you go down and back out or down and up Paria?
    We started at Wire Pass and ended (up Paria) at the Whitehouse Trailhead.

I figured Buckskin would be difficult this time of year with deep sand and hot days.... how was it? how long did it take you?

I figured your camera would love this canyon. When are we going to see a couple of your usual great pics?

I know that the best/worst time that I had in Buckskin was October '05 - 2 days after a "biblical flood" the 13 miles to the campsite involved thigh deep Buckskin Mud for at least half of the trip.

Shane, in your pics it looks like someone is crawling UNDER a log jam. In October 06 (21st ish) that baby had to be climbed over very very delicately as it was only about 4 days old and super unstable. Ahhhhhhh fun times!!! That was also within days of biblical flooding. I have yet to see Buckskin dry. Those 2 times it was flowing all the way through.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by thedesertnomad
    I have yet to see Buckskin dry. Those 2 times it was flowing all the way through.

Bill
    Wow - flowing through would be amazing to see. My one and only time was dry dry dry. 2 mid-thigh puddles only - and no cesspool.

One day I'll do it again, we'll see what happens then...

Tanya - looking forward to your photos!

Quote Originally Posted by thedesertnomad
    Shane, in your pics it looks like someone is crawling UNDER a log jam. In October 06 (21st ish) that baby had to be climbed over very very delicately as it was only about 4 days old and super unstable. Ahhhhhhh fun times!!!
    I've done Buckskin 8 or 9 times. Once we went through and never got our feet wet. Once we had about 1/2 mile of waist to neck deep wading. Typical for me is probably a little knee to waist deep wading. We usually do the route once a year but we missed a couple of years. We have always done it as a backpack because my wife enjoys camping at the confluence.

What was originally known as "The Cesspool" 10 years ago has completely disappeared and is now just part of a usually knee deep section. The rabbit hole under the rock fall is clogged and might never reopen.... its clogged bad. We had one log jam we crawled under this year that was new to me so it had to appear within the last two years. I have always done the hike in May and only encountered flowing water once in the Paria and never in Buckskin. I've done the route once when the snot mud was slippery and once (this year) when the canyon was a difficult sand slog.

Anyhoo.... that about covers the changing conditions I have encountered over the past 10 years in Buckskin.