Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert and Kings Peak

Gilbert and Kings Peak

I'm planning a 3 day trip to Gilbert and Kings peak to grab the two highest county high points in the state.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...c-caa9af8f311e

wondering if anyone has some beta on the best route from Henrys Fork to Gilbert and from Gilbert to Kings etc..

My original thoughts were to sleep at the Henrys fork trail-head Thursday night, Friday hike the 7.5 miles to Dollar Lake and drop the camping gear and head on up to Gilbert still on Friday.
    I found a route online that is about 2.5 miles from Dollar lake to Gilbert by heading up the hill just East of Dollar lake on the East slope just above the tree line, until you are southwest of the peak and then circling across and up the peak.
    That would be 12.5 miles Friday.

Is this the best route to Gilbert?

Then Saturday we would have all day for a nice casual stroll to Kings from Dollar Lake. I am wondering how bad the lesser traveled ridge-line route from Gunsight pass to Anderson pass is compared to dropping off into Painter Basin and back up to Anderson pass is?
    Energy and time wise which is better?

Then Sunday would be a nice walk back down to Henrys Fork.

Any other suggestions on a 3 day route that would bag both Gilbert and Kings would also be greatly appreciated. I had considered a loop from Gilbert to Kings but that is a lot of miles and elevation for one day.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From Dollar Lake, this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/158722/west-spur.html

North Ridge is a good route and the easiest on Gilbert, but doesn
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott,

Thanks for the insight.

I found this map linked from the second site you gave me
    http://www.summitpost.org/image/1080...rail-blue.html

Sounds like the Green route is what you are recommending?

The Red route is what I had in mind.

Here is what my thoughts are now since it sounds the North ridge is preferred:

Friday morning Head up Gilbert peak Via the Blue route then down the Red route to Dollar lake and stay the night.

The next day would be a round trip hike from Dollar Lake to Kings and back.

Then a nice relaxing hike out the next.

I traced the routes with my TOPO program and;
    That would be about 11 miles with a full pack the first day to Gilbert and then Dollar.
    15 miles with a day pack the second to Kings
    and a nice casual 8 miles easy downhill the last.

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking of doing.

Does that route sound reasonable? The only other thing I can think of is if there is a "decent" route down off the ridge South of Dollar lake and camp somewhere closer to Kings.

[quote=Scott Patterson]
    From Dollar Lake, this one:

http://www.summitpost.org/route/158722/west-spur.html

North Ridge is a good route and the easiest on Gilbert, but doesn

I found this map linked from the second site you gave me
    http://www.summitpost.org/image/1080...rail-blue.html

Sounds like the Green route is what you are recommending?
    Not if camping at Dollar Lake. If you camp at Elkhorn Crossing it works well.

I just said that the North Ridge is the easiest route up Gilbert. I don
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I went to Gilbert and Kings last year. We took the 'cutoff' instead of dropping down Painter's Basin. It is rocky and rough going, but it is well marked with cairns. I would definatley do it this way again.

As for Gilbert, We just climbed up to the ridge from the north side (by Dollar Lake). Be forwarned, there are false summits.

There is no trail to Gilbert, so you just climb until you cant go any higher.

Since you will be so close to Gunsight Peak, you may as well bag another 13,000 footer while you are there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

[quote=Scott Patterson] Not if camping at Dollar Lake. If you camp at Elkhorn Crossing it works well.

I just said that the North Ridge is the easiest route up Gilbert. I don

Caver, the Dollar Lake area is packed with 13ers. There are Seven that could be gotten easily from Dollar lake.

http://utahthirteeners.com/
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I was talking about camping at Dollar Lake AFTER getting Gilbert via the route you mention up the North Summit.
    It would work fine if you don't mind humping your gear over the summit.

There are Seven that could be gotten easily from Dollar lake.
    Yes. My two favorites in the area are Mount Powell and Henrys Fork Peak.

Henrys Fork Peak is very beautiful and Powell is the least climbed in the area, but a big interesting mountain.

Anyway, good info on all the 13ers in the Uintas except for East Lovenia can be found below:

http://www.summitpost.org/list/179593/Utah-13-ers.html

Click on the peak list on the chart and you will find good info.

Just bumping this thread.

My hike is planned for August 16th through 18th. Its still a long ways out so the date could still change again.

Right now I am just thinking about doing the county highpoints, (Gilbert and Kings) But let me know if you would like to come and do others. I have a lot of vacation time built up and should have no problem taking an couple of extra days. As long as I get the 2 county highpoints in anything else is a bonus to me.

Gunsight is an 'easy' grab after Gilbert. Just FYI.
    - Edward Abbey

Keep us posted as this gets closer... I might tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Is Gunsight N40 48.192, W110 21.120, 13263' ?

and what is the name of this 13er N40 47.563 W110 21.988, 13103' ? And is it easy to grab on the way back from Kings?

http://www.summitpost.org/list/179593/utah-13-ers.html

Here is a list of the Utah 13ers. Someday, I will bag them all!!

South King's isn't too far away, but will one feel like scrambling the ridge to get it after climbing to Kings?

See video of a summit of Kings here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1110493793
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by caverspencer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Is Gunsight N40 48.192, W110 21.120, 13263' ?

and what is the name of this 13er N40 47.563 W110 21.988, 13103' ? And is it easy to grab on the way back from Kings?
    Nevermind, I looked at the summitpost list of 13ers you posted Earlier. the peaks I asked about are Gunsight and West Gunsight.

So the only question that remains is how bad is grabbing West Gunsight on the way back from Kings? Looks like about 600' of gain from Anderson pass if the terrain is "safe" from that side?

There is another book (if i am not hiking, I am reading about it) called utah thirteeners. It lists seven peaks in the area. The book also lists 21 peaks above 13000, where SP lists 19. Perhaps it is the 200' prominance, I don't know.
    - Edward Abbey

bump...

17 days and counting! I think I am going to make one of those little chains like Christmas so I can see how many days left until the uintas.

Wondering if anyone form here is in?
    At this point I am still debating between hiking in to Dollar on Thursday and doing Gilbert and West Gunsight on Friday.
    Or camping at the trailhead Thursday night and Friday hiking to Dollar, dropping the camping gear and then heading up to Gilbert.
    It all depends on who is coming and when you can leave.
    Either way Saturday is Kings.

So... Who is in?

Take the extra day to do it. That's the way I did it:

Day one: to Dollar
    Day two: Dollar to West Gunsight to Gilber to Dollar to just below Gunsight
    Day three: Kings
    Day four: explore Henry Forks Lake and out

If you have an extra day, that way you have time to adjust to the altitude and you have options if you get rained out.

I have some friends going this weekend, I'll let you know how they do.

James

I'm planning on going Spencer. My preference would be to hike into Dollar on Thursday. Bagging Gilberts and Gunsight thursday afternoon. Heading up to Kings on Friday. Camping again at dollar friday night and then heading back down the trail saturday. I can't stay till sunday. Another option would be to hike to Dollar thursday, Gilberts and gunsight friday, Kings Saturday and then I could head down the trail Saturday evening.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

The current plan is:

We are hiking up to Dollar lake Thursday where we will set up a base camp, Friday is a day hike to Gilbert and West Gunsight, Saturday is a day hike to Kings and some of will hike down Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

It does sound like rain is in the forecast. The smart thing may be to reschedule but we all have made arrangements for this weekend and I really don't want to inconvenience people by changing the date.

I think we are planning to meet at 8am Thursday at the old Lowes on 90th south. Flyfisherman and his dad will be leaving around noon on Thursday and catching up with us at Dollar Thursday Evening.

I'll be at Lowes at 8am. I'm looking forward to this even if it rains. The last forcast I saw had the best chance of rain on thursday. Changing the date, I think, would be just the same as cancelling it. You can pretty much count on rain just about every afternoon in the Uintas.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors