Thread: gsenm and paria

gsenm and paria

gto to head south over teh weekend and have some southern utah fun yay !

friday we did booker canyon and round valley draw.

booker is real prtty, but stay OUT of teh water course ! worse than bluejohn that deep sand is - *ugh* plus the nicer views are from teh benches. gorgeous white navajo ss w plenty of conifers growing out of 'em. teh slots were very short and nonumental so don't go just for that. i wonder if there is rock art or ruins ? would be fun to take it as an overnighter or 2 and really explore.

rvd was very pretty. easily upclimbed, even w/out the handline left at the drop in. it started thundering as we hit rvd's mouth, but rain was intermittent and light - until we got to the car. forecast was frol no rain and sky was clear clear clear when we set out. teh clay road was the scariest part, getting the 3 miles or so back to teh cottonwood raod from the th. slip slidin away.

round trip time was like 8 hours w/ a big delay at teh dc/rap in lower booker. i wienied out and had to build my courage up. damn am i out of outdoors shape ! i have nothing to be ashamed of...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559120898ZwMMQg

saturday we did buckskin/paria. wirepass to white house. 10 hours thru but i could have definitely taken more time, and even more time than that more time had i brought along a tripod. very nice. the top and bottom 1/4's of buckskin were my favorite. a few pools at the start, no more than thigh deep, then dry. that rope at the moki steps drop off really should be replaced before someone gets dropped when it snaps. i let the blm know and naybe they wull update the board or someone will replace it. lots of lizards and a baby rattler we saw. and one dead crow. very nice. time had by all.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559121487RwBytc
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: gsenm and paria

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    saturday we did buckskin/paria. wirepass to white house.
    Hey goofball..... we did Buckskin on Saturday. We signed into the register right after you (Sonja). I kept expecting to see you in the canyon but now I know why we didn't. You were a party of 3 doing it as a day hike and we were a party of 7 doing it as an overnighter. Carrying the extra camping gear slows you down and makes a big difference.... we also took lots of pics that I'll post later. I took over 300 pics.

For anyone heading in soon.... the sand slogging in Buckskin is the worst I have seen. But the exit out Paria was on top of dry mud and the easiest I have seen... just backwards from the usual sand slog.

And the rabbit hole under the rock fall is plugged up so everyone has to go over the top so you will require at least a 30' rope. I don't expect the rabbit hole to unplug for a long time if ever. It's plugged solid with 5' of dirt over the top.

Hi jason,
    were you the guy pushing the car back in the parking lot?
    i saw a guy with a hat that look like you
    glad to hear you are getting out
    Cri

gto to head south over teh weekend and have some southern utah fun yay !

friday we did booker canyon and round valley draw.

booker is real prtty, but stay OUT of teh water course ! worse than bluejohn that deep sand is - *ugh* plus the nicer views are from teh benches. gorgeous white navajo ss w plenty of conifers growing out of 'em. teh slots were very short and nonumental so don't go just for that. i wonder if there is rock art or ruins ? would be fun to take it as an overnighter or 2 and really explore.

rvd was very pretty. easily upclimbed, even w/out the handline left at the drop in. it started thundering as we hit rvd's mouth, but rain was intermittent and light - until we got to the car. forecast was frol no rain and sky was clear clear clear when we set out. teh clay road was the scariest part, getting the 3 miles or so back to teh cottonwood raod from the th. slip slidin away.

round trip time was like 8 hours w/ a big delay at teh dc/rap in lower booker. i wienied out and had to build my courage up. damn am i out of outdoors shape ! i have nothing to be ashamed of...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559120898ZwMMQg

saturday we did buckskin/paria. wirepass to white house. 10 hours thru but i could have definitely taken more time, and even more time than that more time had i brought along a tripod. very nice. the top and bottom 1/4's of buckskin were my favorite. a few pools at the start, no more than thigh deep, then dry. that rope at the moki steps drop off really should be replaced before someone gets dropped when it snaps. i let the blm know and naybe they wull update the board or someone will replace it. lots of lizards and a baby rattler we saw. and one dead crow. very nice. time had by all.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559121487RwBytc

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    Hi jason,
    were you the guy pushing the car back in the parking lot?
    i saw a guy with a hat that look like you
    glad to hear you are getting out
    Cri
    yep, that was me. i thought ryan said you guys were gonna be down there, but didn't see ya.

school is almost out so summer break vacations are on teh verge. yay !
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Hey goofball..... we did Buckskin on Saturday. We signed into the register right after you (Sonja). I kept expecting to see you in the canyon but now I know why we didn't. You were a party of 3 doing it as a day hike and we were a party of 7 doing it as an overnighter. Carrying the extra camping gear slows you down and makes a big difference.... we also took lots of pics that I'll post later. I took over 300 pics.
    hours could be spent in less than a mile in that thing. very photogenic.can't wait to see your pics !
    signature

yep, that was me. i thought ryan said you guys were gonna be down there, but didn't see ya.
    How could ya miss the big red truck nearly running you over

I posted some of my pics in the canyoneering section.
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6999

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    How could ya miss the big red truck nearly running you over

I posted some of my pics in the canyoneering section.
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6999

i was focusing on the task at hand. pushing a car in loose chat is hard !saw the pics. had some nice ones. did you guys see the baby rattler just past the crack in/out under a boulder ? my pic turned out too blurry.
    signature

did you guys see the baby rattler just past the crack in/out under a boulder ? my pic turned out too blurry.
    Yup! They are some type of midgets and not babies. I always see them in Buckskin.

Bogley BigShot
    Looks like a fun slot!

What's a good time to do buckskin? Did a dayhike there this past week & it was muddy, muddy, muddy. Is it like that year-round after a little rain, or is there a season it will dry out faster? Can't imagine going from wire pass to white house in a day thru that muck.

Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    What's a good time to do buckskin? Did a dayhike there this past week & it was muddy, muddy, muddy. Is it like that year-round after a little rain, or is there a season it will dry out faster? Can't imagine going from wire pass to white house in a day thru that muck.
    My trip through on March 1 was quite nice. I had to break a little ice, but I had nothing deeper than the knee, and no mud to speak of whatsoever.

But I'm guessing that you. just. never. know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    My trip through on March 1 was quite nice. I had to break a little ice, but I had nothing deeper than the knee, and no mud to speak of whatsoever.
    what about the night temperatures in march? What kind of tent did you use for your overnight stay in the canyon?
    Paria canyon and Buckskin are one of the trips, I will do in the further future, maybe next year.

Greetz,

Yvonne

April was very nice for day hiking there, but night temps would still be a concern early in the month.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by americanhero
    what about the night temperatures in march? What kind of tent did you use for your overnight stay in the canyon?
    Paria canyon and Buckskin are one of the trips, I will do in the further future, maybe next year.

Greetz,

Yvonne
    Overnight ranged from about -6 C (whatever F) the first night and warmed up to about 4 after that. I used a bivy shelter (Integral Designs Unishelter) and -7 C down bag.

I loved the trip, and will do it again, except that next time I'll probably do it backwards - Lees Ferry to Wire Pass. My Trip Report from March is here:
    http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5678

Overnight ranged from about -6 C (whatever F) the first night and warmed up to about 4 after that. I used a bivy shelter (Integral Designs Unishelter) and -7 C down bag.

I loved the trip, and will do it again, except that next time I'll probably do it backwards - Lees Ferry to Wire Pass. My Trip Report from March is here:
    http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5678

Ah thanks, somehow I lost the link to the TR.
    Hm, -6 C in march sounds really chilly, but the pics are still awful and I love your wonderful TR
    I think, I would wait a few more weeks until may and hopefully the weather is warmer then. (I only habe a 3mm wetsuit )

And is it better to start from Lees Ferry to Wire Pass? A lot of questions, I know, but I havn't done an overnight hike for years.

Greetz,

Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by americanhero

And is it better to start from Lees Ferry to Wire Pass? A lot of questions, I know, but I havn't done an overnight hike for years.
    this is an interesting question. i would say almost all prolly go from wire pass > lees ferry, as it is downhill. it makes sense on many levels to do it this way, of course. (especially when the the drob in the buckskin is more difficult.) but i did meet one couple on my way down to lees ferry once. we spoke to them for a little bit. the reason they were going upcanyon , this time, was because they wanted to 'save the best for last.' he said ... the lower paria's "what i'd like to call 'ugly desert hiking.' so we started with that first and i'll only get better as we go along." i wouldn't exactly call the lower paria ugly desert hiking. but it's a 3 mile wide canyon, lots of alluvial deposits. it's not the intimate setting of the paria narrows or buckskin slot. but it IS nice.

others go down the buckskin and up the paria instead too (shorter route). and you can take a short side trip down the paria and back to the confluence if you like.

wonderful canyon system anyway you do it