Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Did you see that rude post on canyons? grrrrrr!
    I did now.... I really don't worry to much about what Stiles says..... he hates everyone but himself.

This is a long and on going battle..... I think my next project will be a route description called "The Zephyr" and will visit every bar in Moab and end at the city dump.

Actually I find it flattering that he mentions me by name in his new book.... I really don't care if folks are cheering or booing.... its when they are quite that scares me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I don't even know who he is.

what do they say ... any publicity is good publicity

Jim Stiles is the editor of the Moab Zephyr, it is a small fish wrapper that comes out bi-monthly I believe.

And yeah.... I'm a big believer in no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm just getting ready to head out the door in a few minutes to do some canyons. I'll post up a couple of email exchanges I've had with Stiles when I get back if you are interested..... they are pretty funny.... or at least I thought they were.

But to keep you entertained while I'm gone I'll post something that SUWA recently wrote about him....

Jim Stiles is Utah's Barney Fife
    SUWA's 'rainy-day fund' is a drop in the bucket
    By Scott Groene

In an April 15 Tribune op-ed, Moab tabloid owner Jim Stiles continued his criticism of environmental organizations, including the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance. His complaint this time is that SUWA has some money in the bank and he'd like us to give it to organizations whose work he prefers.

Part of desert country's magic is that it nourishes eccentricity. Jim is part of that, our own Barney Fife. He's worth having around though, even if we have to clean up after him now and again.

Typically enough, Jim's rant says less about SUWA than about Jim's own curious little world. As its only resident, he's in charge. He gets not only his own opinion but his own facts.

True enough, for almost the first time in our 23-year history, SUWA can pay its bills. Our assets are comparable to those of other regional groups of similar size, scope and influence. What kind of steward are we? Charity Navigator, which rates non-profit organizations, gives SUWA its highest marks for capacity and efficiency.

SUWA's "rainy-day fund," while welcome, is pitifully small, set against the bottomless pockets of an energy industry hell-bent on turning the interior West into a series of roads and well-pads. It's no more than a drop in the bucket compared to Utah counties' inexhaustible flow of taxpayer money for their crusade to turn every cow path and two-track into a spurious "public highway."

Now we may end up defending the Zion-Mojave country against Sen. Bob Bennett's and Rep. Jim Matheson's Washington County Growth and Conservation Act announced at the end of March. The order reflects the emphasis: The package has a good deal more to do with growth than with conservation. It would transfer up to 40 square miles of public land into private hands, allow utility corridors through Zion National Park, and lavish on developers new reservoir and dam sites and a pipeline right of way.

Wilderness, by contrast, is scant: 216,000 acres, half of it in Zion National Park. Park wilderness is important and deserves support. But here it's used in a cynical numbers game to mask the fact that 70 percent of Washington County's deserving wilderness goes on the chopping block.

We're hopeful that negotiations can transform this legislation into something acceptable. But we'll oppose it in anything close to its present form. It purports to follow a "model" used in neighboring Nevada, coupling wilderness with public lands giveaways that would fail by themselves.

A far better model became law earlier this year to protect Utah's Cedar Mountains. It is a wilderness bill. Period.

Yes, SUWA has a bit of a war chest. But it won't take much of a war for it to evaporate like a water drop on a hot desert day. Our only regret is that it has taken so long to reach even this still-precarious point.
    ---
    Scott Groene is the executive director of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.

i wouldn't say the post was rude, rather it is the passage from stiles' book that is rude.

also as another post has mentioned, i was also under the impression that the circle of friends was for profit. shane, is it not? or do you make the case that all revenue goes into exploration of new canyons?

is there something wrong in general with paying for beta? well, that's the whole idea of a guidebook, so i'd say not exactly. though, i will admit that i'd prefer a website not charge $25 every year. but that's of course my preference.

i think stiles is balking at shane's leading people to the "newly identified canyons," that this motive is inherently bad. or perhaps it's simply shane's sales pitch/pay-per-view that rubbed him raw. likely the both entwined.

it's hard to disagree with the fact that there are many(!!) issues with the exposure of new areas/canyons ... however, if stiles is targeting shane burrows simply for exposure of such areas, he probably should equally target mike kelsey, since mike is exposing slot canyons at a stunningly dramatic rate, especially with the forthcoming release of his new book. though he doesn't have the circle pitch and one difference is that kelsey's profits are what allows him to survive as it IS his source of income.

on the other hand, some folks even have the expectation that if unpublished canyons are being done, these folks should disclose them ... and for free!

since stiles has become at odds with suwa, it's interesting how he makes his two degrees of separation argument. tries to get that in there any way he can, eh? i wonder ... can we connect shane burrows with kevin bacon?

Bogley BigShot
    [quote="stefan"]
    i wouldn't say the post was rude, rather it is the passage from stiles' book that is rude.

[quote]

Oh! ~blush~ I should have read it all or paid attention to what I was reading.

I really need to get away from the computer today before I really get myself in trouble.

Stiles has some good points and others that are little to self rightous for me. I for one am not a fan of guide books. That Keasley (sp?) character dissapoints me to no end...

Having worked in the outdoor industry on the media side for over 15 years, I have never been part of a story that directly revealed any unpublished locations. In a sense keeping it a bit of a secret.

I don't know what exchanges happened between shane and Stiles, but I can imagine he was more than a little pissed about the climb utah site. Which I personally regard as a double edged sword, the beta invaluable, yet the people it will attract unwanted... But such is the situation we are in, as people learn about the wonders of the Colorado Plateau and International travel diminishes we will see more and more people in the canyons and on the mesas.

Unfortuneatly for Mr. Stiles he longs for a time that has passed when his hero Ed Abbey lived up the road and the desert was a place to be feared not explored. Mr. Stiles is trying to follow in Abbey's footsteps by stirring the pot and causing a commotion, but seems to be alienating himself more than helping anything with his tired startegy.

The plateau is not going to be closed to people, they seem to roam wherever they like, but we can educate those new comers, welcome them and show them that it is a place to be respected and cherished. Stiles tacticts will only cause resentment.
    I'm out of bed and dressed, what more could you want?

www.sinuhexavier.com

Just walked in the door and I'll bring you guys up to speed when I get more time. But just to get things started....

This "new" piece from his book is an old article he wrote in his bird cage liner back in June 2005. It's all basically two year old stuff. I sent him a letter back in July 2005 correcting the errors in his articule but I guess Stiles didn't really care to correct facts for his new book. Here is Stiles original article:

THE GREENING of WILDERNE$$ IN UTAH
    http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/j...ly2005/gtw.htm

And for the record.... The price of a Climb-Utah Circle of Friends membership has never been $15. It began at $20 and was jumped to $25 in 2005. Back in 1998 I did have anther website on Homestead where I sold some canyon beta for $15. But that was something totally different and I killed the Homestead site in 1999. Maybe Jim has just become confused in his later years, I hear age does that to some. If so, I'm flattered that he has followed my writing career since the late 90's.

Where Stiles gets the rest of his info is beyond me. If he had of contacted me I would have been happy to answer all his questions.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Thank you for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by montanablur
    Which I personally regard as a double edged sword, the beta invaluable, yet the people it will attract unwanted... But such is the situation we are in, as people learn about the wonders of the Colorado Plateau and International travel diminishes we will see more and more people in the canyons and on the mesas.
    Welcome to the group, montanablur.

You might be under the impression that many people here share your view that more people are unwanted. I realize this is a shared value among a certain crowd, to the point of being a basic assumption, but this forum draws from a diverse audience and that value is not shared by many, including me. I believe in sharing the people's land with the people that own it.

As a rhetorical device, we could divide the spectrum into:

The Old/New West: "we should have closed the door, 30 years ago" (Stiles)

The New West: "we should close the door now, since I am here" (Montanablur?)

The New New West: "why close the door? we should learn to share" (ME!)

Tom

Re: Thank you for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Nice..... I share Tom's feelings

After the THE GREENING of WILDERNE$$ IN UTAH articule I wrote the following letter to Stiles and told him he had permission to publish it..... Please understand at this time I am well aware of the fact that there is no way in hell I can beat Stiles in his own fish wrapper when he has complete control of the context.... but this looked like fun to me so what the hell..... lets get out my big wood handled spoon and stir the pot a little.....

Here is the orginal letter I wrote:

I would like to thank Mr. Stiles for mentioning my website, www.Climb-Utah.com and it's foremost outdoor program 'The Circle of Friends', in his article 'The Greening of the Wilderne$$ in Utah History'. The publicity generated has been large, positive and welcome.

At Climb-Utah.com we work hard to make Southern Utah enjoyable and accessible to those who are interested in its outdoor opportunities. We look forward to providing the public with information, maps and route descriptions to all of Mr. Style's beloved and clandestine places. With our help there is no need to spend years as a local resident or National Park employee to gain the maximum value from outdoor recreation in Southern Utah. We look forward to reading future rants from Mr. Style's.

Shane Burrows
    www.Climb-Utah.com

Here is what was actually printed in the Canyon Country Zephyr:
    http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/a.../feedback.html

FROM THE MAN WHO SELLS SECRETS FOR 15 BUCKS

This email is meant to be a comment for publication in the next FEEDBACK section of the Zephyr!!! I would like to thank Mr. Stiles for mentioning my website, and its foremost outdoor program 'The Circle of Friends', in his article 'The Greening of the Wilderne$$ in Utah History'. The publicity generated has been large, positive and welcome. We work hard to make Southern Utah enjoyable and accessible to those who are interested in its outdoor opportunities. We look forward to providing the public with information, maps and route descriptions to all of Mr. Style's beloved and clandestine places. With our help there is no need to spend years as a local resident or National Park employee to gain the maximum value from outdoor recreation in Southern Utah. We look forward to reading future rants from Mr. Style's.

Shane Burrows
    Draper, Utah

As you can see they are almost the same letter....
    It does give you some good insight into editorial liberties

Don't leave now, things are just about to get good....

So here is the next letter I wrote Stiles.... you will note at this point we are now on a first name bases:

Hmmmm..... this is kinda interesting..... How many changes, errors and omissions can you find between the two letters?
    Come on Jim..... let's see a little testicular fortitude!!! Print it like I wrote it.....

No Guts, No Glory
    Go big or go home.....

Whats the matter.... afraid..... hahaha.... chickenshit.....

Shane

Here was the Stiles reply:

I'll tell you what.. I'll print your latest email in the NEXT Zephyr, along with my explanation why I removed your web address...you can continue to enhance your reputation for sensitivity and articulation through the pages of the Zephyr by just being yourself.

Cheers,
    J

Indeed. I like where this headed....

Patiently awaiting more.

Dang.... at this point I think I might be getting to Stiles warm and sensitive side.... So, as most of you know I can't let a good thing like this go so I wrote the following letter:

Jim,

We greatly appreciate your help in expanding visitation to the Climb-Utah.com website. Your hard work in enhancing our reputation, as the leading provider of secret route information to extraordinary places has been tremendous.

Two months ago most of your readers were probably unaware of our existence. And now we have been featured in your rants for two issues in a row, with promise of a third. That is outstanding. We are firm believers in "No such thing as bad publicity".

If you need any more cannon fodder for that fish wrapper of yours you just let us know. We are filled with insightful observations, controversy, humor and quotable remarks. We are also available for interviews, barbeques and bachelorette parties.

Your friend,

Shane Burrows
    Climb Utah - Canyoneering & Mountaineering
    http://Climb-Utah.com

Mr. Stiles Reply:

Seriously, I think the "haha...afraid...chickenshit" email will suffice for the next issue. Otherwise consider refraining from emailing me again until you graduate from high school.

Happy $$$ trails,
    JS

At which point I understand Stiles took his ball and tabloid and went home.... Hope you enjoyed our show.... we'll be here all week with a matinee perform on Saturday.

HAHA!!

When will people learn....THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAD PRESS!!

Heck, you should cut Jim off a check for all of the generous publicity and advertising he's done for your site.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Couldn't the same be said for what we are doing for the Zephyr right now? I've been looking online, and I'm sold. I will now regularly read the Zephyr. </sarcasm>

If for no other reason it is great comedy....

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Which I personally regard as a double edged sword, the beta invaluable, yet the people it will attract unwanted... But such is the situation we are in, as people learn about the wonders of the Colorado Plateau and International travel diminishes we will see more and more people in the canyons and on the mesas.
    Welcome to the group, montanablur.

You might be under the impression that many people here share your view that more people are unwanted. I realize this is a shared value among a certain crowd, to the point of being a basic assumption, but this forum draws from a diverse audience and that value is not shared by many, including me. I believe in sharing the people's land with the people that own it.

As a rhetorical device, we could divide the spectrum into:

The Old/New West: "we should have closed the door, 30 years ago" (Stiles)

The New West: "we should close the door now, since I am here" (Montanablur?)

Tom
    I'm not under any impressions about this board or it's members other than a love of Utah, strong love... I have only met and spent time with two, so I'm not going to pass judgement.

I do have to say that I don't agree with you piling me in with the statement, "we should close the door now, since I am here." I am all for keeping access open, available, welcoming and educating new comers... As seen later on in my post.

"The plateau is not going to be closed to people, they seem to roam wherever they like, but we can educate those new comers, welcome them and show them that it is a place to be respected and cherished. Stiles tacticts will only cause resentment."

I suppose I come from a time when beta was gained from who you knew and what campfire you sat around. I'm not just talking about canyons, but climbs, MTB trails, backcountry powder stashes... That secret knowledge that was passed from friend to friend on a tailgate. Aaah nostalgia...

www.sinuhexavier.com

That secret knowledge that was passed from friend to friend on a tailgate. Aaah nostalgia...
    With the internet things have really changed.... the life of secret places is now measured in dog years. The old tactics of passing beta among friends is a dead art. Those who cling to the old ways will eventually lose the battle. Those who adapt quickly will be leaders of the community. The key now is to educate the public, and what better way to educate then with electrons moving at the speed of light.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    That secret knowledge that was passed from friend to friend on a tailgate. Aaah nostalgia...
    With the internet things have really changed.... the life of secret places is now measured in dog years. The old tactics of passing beta among friends is a dead art. Those who cling to the old ways will eventually lose the battle. Those who adapt quickly will be leaders of the community. The key now is to educate the public, and what better way to educate then with electrons moving at the speed of light.

My 2 cents.
    Oh, I agree... I don't know about leaders of community, but the old ways of smoke signals and secret hanshakes is gone... I'm still nostalgic...

As with any knowledge comes resposibility and you hit the nail on the head with educating the public. Stiles strategey will only cause resentment, where as I feel your strategy will actually teach people a thing or two... Maybe even three.

Cheers!

www.sinuhexavier.com

Oh, I agree... I don't know about leaders of community, but the old ways of smoke signals and secret hanshakes is gone... I'm still nostalgic...
    I think a fella like Stiles is missing a golden opportunity to educate the new and lead from the front...... Yes, I also loved the old days when I could hike Little Wild Horse and not see anther soul. But those days are gone.....

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum