Thread: Mystery canyon 5/12/07

Mystery canyon 5/12/07

My brother-in-law drew out for Mystery Canyon and invited my wife and I to join him and his wife. We left Orem at about 2 and got to the permit desk about 10 minutes before they closed. We camped on BLM land at about mile marker 24 or 25, I cant remember which one.

We woke up on Saturday at about 6 and we were at the Weeping rock TH at 7:50 am.

The hike up to Observation point was killer with a 40 lb pack. it took us a little over 2 hours to reach the trailhead for Mystery. The "death gulley" trail into the mouth of the canyon was sketchy and difficult as far as trails go. When we got towards the bottom the deer flies were everywhere! They would swarm around us when we stopped. Even while hiking we had to keep swatting them off, miserable bastards. We got to the first rap after about an hour and found refuge from the flies at the bottom.

The next rap was really cool in a kindof half cylinder shape that the water had cut out of the wall. We down-climbed the next "rappels" and brought the rope out when we hit the rappell with the tree stump in the middle. Couple more raps and we were hoping to run into water at the rock slide since it was in the high 90's that day. The water was dried up.

The rappel off the rock slab was off a sketchy "bolt". We were hoping for water soon and found some at the bottom of Mistery Springs. It was about waist deep and 5 feet long is all. The girls kept their wetsuits on because we were expecting a big pool to have to jump into.

The pool was dry except for a few inches of the springs running through, we down climbed the rocks. We make it to the last rap into the narrows and people start to gather up as we hook things in.

We set up a biner block, the first time we have ever used one. My brother-in-law went first and as soon as he started going the canyon lit up like the stands at the super bowl with flashing cameras. My sister in law went with some camera flashes as well. When my wife got up everyone had gone. She was happy to not have people watching her, making her nervous. I finished up without any fan-fare either. The biner block held and everything worked out perfectly.

The walk back was refreshing and pretty in the narrows, and the hike on the paved trail back to the shuttle stop wasn't as long as expected. Sitting on the bus we all started to fall asleep. By the time we were back at the VC and had changed our clothes it was about 8 pm. We went to dinner at the pioneer restaurant and downed a 14 oz prime rib, yum yum. We started our long drive back to Orem at about 10 pm and got home at about 2:30 am.

We have pics but I need to scan them. I will try to get my bro to post some of his. Thanks to all who gave us advice.

The guys didn't wear wetsuits and the girls only wore shorties, for the last two raps and the hike down the narrows to the trail. The girls did complain about being cold on the short hike from the mystery springs rap to the last rap into the narrows, they were wet and it was shaded.
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Nice Trail Report!

Re: Mystery canyon 5/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    The hike up to Observation point was killer with a 40 lb pack.
    Dang.... what you packin'? Rocks????

Ever hear of light is right and lighter is righter?

Bogley BigShot

Re: Mystery canyon 5/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The hike up to Observation point was killer with a 40 lb pack.
    Dang.... what you packin'? Rocks????

Ever hear of light is right and lighter is righter?
    Sounds like Bo. His pack I bet is always over 40lbs. Keeps him in shape for SAR. Jaxx just likes to keep in shape is all.

simple list of stuff in my pack:

Emergency stuff (lighter, emergency blanket, first aid kit, etc)
    my jacket
    wifes jacket
    extra dry clothes (light weight shorts and t-shirt)
    food
    1 gallon water, I drank it all and had to filter at mystery springs
    wife's wetsuit
    harness
    wife's harness
    mine and wife's carabiners/ATC
    webbing
    rope
    helmet
    camera/film

It keeps me in shape like Tanya said. I had a 40 lb pack on our hike through blue john to Horseshoe a couple weeks ago. I am glad I had the extra layers when we had to bivy it that night. Now I am paranoid.

It does throw off the balance on the raps though to have a heavy pack on, but I got used to it.
    The man thong is wrong.

In the future, if you do not already know. Especially on big raps and/or free raps. Hang your pack between your legs from your belay loop with a splegeraca (sp) or sling. Otherwise you could flip over and have heard maybe out of your harness. This will keep your body centered on the descent. Have Fun.

We thought about doing that with our packs but they weren't giving us too much trouble.
    The man thong is wrong.

wifes jacket
    wife's wetsuit
    wife's harness
    I think I found your problem....

Hope my wife doesn't hear about this....

Bogley BigShot
    simple list of stuff in my pack:

Emergency stuff (lighter, emergency blanket, first aid kit, etc)
    my jacket
    wifes jacket
    extra dry clothes (light weight shorts and t-shirt)
    food
    1 gallon water, I drank it all and had to filter at mystery springs
    wife's wetsuit
    harness
    wife's harness
    mine and wife's carabiners/ATC
    webbing
    rope
    helmet
    camera/film

It keeps me in shape like Tanya said. I had a 40 lb pack on our hike through blue john to Horseshoe a couple weeks ago. I am glad I had the extra layers when we had to bivy it that night. Now I am paranoid.

It does throw off the balance on the raps though to have a heavy pack on, but I got used to it.

Packing for the females! My kind of man!

Yeah, the only backpack we had for her was really small. Atleast Tanya appreciates it , I do love the .gif though ice.
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Yeah, the only backpack we had for her was really small. Atleast Tanya appreciates it , I do love the .gif though ice.
    I do!

I have some pics but i have to re-size them to fit. I will post on sunday.

Here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images          

I had some issues with the stupid pics i might try again later but oh well