Thread: Zion National Park Backcountry Plan Available for Review

Zion National Park Backcountry Plan Available for Review

Zion National Park Backcountry Plan and Environmental Plan Available for Review

May 16, 2007
    For Immediate Release
    Ron Terry 435 772-0160
    07-06

The Zion National Park (ZION) Backcountry Management Plan and Environmental Assessment (EA) is available for public review and comment. The plan identifies a variety of opportunities for visitors to experience the backcountry in ZION while protecting park natural and cultural resources and wilderness values.

Under the National Environmental Policy Act, ZION has prepared an EA to evaluate potential impacts to the natural and cultural environment from proposed backcountry management activities. Public comments on the proposed plan are now being solicited.

The public is invited to participate in open house sessions where park staff will provide information, answer questions, and take comments on the proposed Backcountry Management Plan. The locations, dates, and times for the open house sessions are as follows: Springdale, UT, CanyonCommunity Center, 129 Lion Blvd., June 5, 2007, 5:00

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't had time to read through the new proposal yet, but if someone does and wants to direct others to the highlights effecting canyoneers that would be awesome.

Bogley BigShot
    Looks like there will not be many changes if any.

It looks like everything is pretty much staying the same. The non designated camping was a surprise to me. The details of non designated camping are at the very bottom of this post.

A few things that caught my attention, In no logical order:

Climbing and Canyoneering Management
    Erosion off the rock
    The man thong is wrong.

ghetto version of Table 13: Proposed Use Limits

Area, Use Limit, Limiting Factor
    Zion Narrows, 12 groups/night, 40 day users/day Social/Primitive Zone
    LaVerkin Creek, 17 groups/night, Social/Primitive Zone. Day use is currently not limited. Combination of day & overnight use currently exceeds standard & would be adjusted
    West Rim, 9 groups/night, Social/Primitive Zone. Day use is currently not limited. Combination of day & overnight use currently falls within standards.
    Subway (Left Fork), 80 people/day, Social/Primitive Zone
    Pine Creek Canyon, 50 people/day, Mexican spotted owls/Primitive Zone1
    Keyhole Canyon, 80 people/day, Social/Primitive Zone
    Orderville Canyon, 50 people/day, Mexican spotted owls/Primitive Zone1
    Mystery Canyon, 12 people/day, Eroded access trail/Pristine Zone
    Spry Canyon, 12 people/day, Eroded access trail/Pristine Zone
    Behunin Canyon, 12 people/day, Mexican spotted owls/Pristine Zone1
    Echo Canyon, 12 people/day, Mexican spotted owls/Pristine Zone1
    Englestead Canyon, 20 people/day, Social/Pristine Zone 1 If areas where Mexican spotted owls are a limiting factor, use limits could be raised outside the nesting season.
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    During scoping we asked the public if they were in support of allowing commercial guiding in the Primitive Zone. An overwhelming majority responded that they opposed guiding in the Primitive Zone. Many of those individuals also stated that they supported the continued ban on guiding in the Pristine Zone. Since the majority of those who commented oppose guiding in the Primitive Zone and since the Pristine Zone is more restrictive that the Primitive Zone, an alternative or component of an alternative to allow commercial guiding in the Pristine Zone will not be addressed further.

This is AWESOME news!

Bogley BigShot
    The use of subdued colors for slings, bolts, webbing, chalk, and other paraphernalia would be encouraged.

I hate that bright stuff people use! A bolt is hardly ever seen! Webbing is ugly and distracting.

Just in case Shane misses his bolt war fights.

This appears to be the permit limits we will get:

Zion Narrows - 12 groups/night40 day users/day
    LaVerkin Creek - 17 groups/night
    West Rim - 9 groups/night
    Subway (Left Fork) - 80 people/day
    Pine Creek Canyon - 50 people/day
    Keyhole Canyon - 80 people/day
    Orderville Canyon - 50 people/day
    Mystery Canyon - 12 people/day
    Spry Canyon - 12 people/day
    Behunin Canyon - 12 people/day
    Echo Canyon - 12 people/day
    Englestead Canyon - 20 people/day

And a bunch of the above canyons will be closed for big parts of the year for the Mexican Spotted Owl. That's probably a good reason to start canyoneering with a shotgun

This appears to be the permit limits we will get:

Zion Narrows - 12 groups/night40 day users/day
    LaVerkin Creek - 17 groups/night
    West Rim - 9 groups/night
    Subway (Left Fork) - 80 people/day
    Pine Creek Canyon - 50 people/day
    Keyhole Canyon - 80 people/day
    Orderville Canyon - 50 people/day
    Mystery Canyon - 12 people/day
    Spry Canyon - 12 people/day
    Behunin Canyon - 12 people/day
    Echo Canyon - 12 people/day
    Englestead Canyon - 20 people/day
    Isn't that about the same as it is now? Just curious. I guess the Subway and Keyhole have changed(?), but is the rest the same? (Haven't been to Zion in a while, but am leaving tonight).

And a bunch of the above canyons will be closed for big parts of the year for the Mexican Spotted Owl. That's probably a good reason to start canyoneering with a shotgun
    I know that you are joking, but pray someone actually doesn't do something like that. Logan Cave used to be closed seasonally for bats. Some goofball thought that killing the bats might help eliminate the seasonal closure. The whole cave was closed permanently to all travel.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yeah... I'm joking.... kinda....

The stupid part of all this owl crap is the Park Owl expert has told the park that canyoneers have no effect on the owls.

To prove this he tells me the owls moved in with the current traffic already in place. In other words, if canyoneers were a problem for the owls they would not have built nests to begin with.

I wish they would just pull the limit off of Keyhole and designate it a no permit required cayon. The permit for Keyhole is a joke. But the park has to make rules for the lowest common denominator. I have seen many times when all the Keyhole permits were gone and in late afternoon the canyon was empty (same is true for Pine Creek).

The stupid part of all this owl crap is the Park Owl expert has told the park that canyoneers have no effect on the owls.
    Reminds me of Canyonlands. They have closed several areas in the park (permantly?) because of bighorn sheep. I see bighorns all the time while out hiking and they don't seem too affected.

In fact, one of the reasons I go out is to see the wildlife. Unless someone is being noisy or driving a loud vehicle, or doing something to disturb, it doesn't seem to affect the wildlife.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I do hate when they close off a canyon for the owls. Bad news on Goose Creek too.

Bogley BigShot
    I wish they would just pull the limit off of Keyhole and designate it a no permit required cayon. The permit for Keyhole is a joke. But the park has to make rules for the lowest common denominator. I have seen many times when all the Keyhole permits were gone and in late afternoon the canyon was empty (same is true for Pine Creek).

There is already a line at that canyon waiting to get in. I hate that. Maybe make it open after a certain time of day, but everyone hitting it in the morning is no fun. ~imho~ I do get a kick out of hearing those youngster scream that don't take websuits when they hit the first water filled pot hole though.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    There is already a line at that canyon waiting to get in. I hate that.
    Just don't go at 10 am and expect solitude.

If they are going to keep permits for Pine Creek than ideally I'd like to see AM and PM permits issued. It really gets my panties in a bunch when all the Pine Creek permits are gone and I drive by at 4 pm and the canyon is deserted.

FWIW: I find Pine Creek in the late afternoon to be the most enjoyable time to do the canyon.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    There is already a line at that canyon waiting to get in. I hate that.
    Just don't go at 10 am and expect solitude.

If they are going to keep permits for Pine Creek than ideally I'd like to see AM and PM permits issued. It really gets my panties in a bunch when all the Pine Creek permits are gone and I drive by at 4 pm and the canyon is deserted.

FWIW: I find Pine Creek in the late afternoon to be the most enjoyable time to do the canyon.

I think AM/PM permits would be awesome for any of the canyons that just take a few hours!

Speaking of that, when are we headed down there, Ice?