Thread: Northern Utah?

Northern Utah?

Can anybody recommend some good spots in northern UT for camping? Im in the ogden area so north is better for me right now. Preferably away from the crowds you tend to see at "designated" campgrounds.
    Yes I can fix your computer....
    no it wont be cheap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Car camping or backpacking?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

either drive up or light backpacking nothing technical. just need a little spot to get away this summer till I become more familiar with the area.
    no it wont be cheap.

I assume you're talking about car camping.

Might still be a bit early, but there are some nice places in Logan Canyon. Lowest is the Franklin Basin road, a rough dirt road that leaves a couple miles about the Tony Grove road. It has dispersed camping and hiking trails at Steam Mill and Steep Hollows. About 1 mile up the short spur road to Beaver Mtn Ski Area, a dirt road turns off and follows Beaver Creek into Idaho. There are some great spots periodically along this road that could fit 1-2 parties each, and there's even a very rustic developed campground just past the Idaho border. Also try the Swan Flats area, about 4 miles up the Swan Flats Road which leaves the highway to the north a bit west of Logan Canyon summit. In this same area, a good dirt road also heads south along the crest of the Bear River Range through mixed conifer/aspen forest. Many dispersed sites along this road as well, sometimes with views of Bear Lake.

Monte Cristo, up Ogden Canyon, has some nice terrain and a good developed CG near the top, but lower down is a bunch of private land and highway-side FS developed CG's.

One more idea, just north of the Idaho border near Preston, is Maple Grove Hot Spring. It's an excellent developed HS right on Oneida Narrows Reservoir, and they maintain a campground. Often quiet, especially on weekdays. They have a website.

Just going up Logan Canyon (Hwy 89) there are a bunch of places on both sides of the road heading towards Tony Grove. These are campgrounds, with a bunch of trails all around. There's one every 2-5 miles apart.

thanks

I just wanna say thanks for all the advice. Hope to get to southern utah next year!
    no it wont be cheap.

Drive up Farmington Canyon. Plenty of cool spots up there.