Thread: Binoculars?

Binoculars?

I'm looking for a pair of binoculars to use during hiking and backpacking. I want something that will allow me to watch wildlife and to find indian ruins without being too bulky. Any suggestions? What do you use?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

For backpacking I'd look into a monocular. These are very light and take up no room. I have a Steiner but Zeiss makes a nice one and I think there are less expensive ones.

http://zeiss.binoculars.com/products...ular-1097.html

For binoculars you really need to set a spending limit. I have Pentax 8-42 waterproofs that we always have with us in the car. These are now about $279.00.

http://pentax.binoculars.com/product...-ii-14560.html

I only referenced these items at one site, I never did business with this company.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

i use a pair of compact bushnell 10x25's. they have adequate glass and are small enough to fit in a shirt pocket if i need too. i tink i paid about $200.00.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I like my Nikon travelite v 10x25 I bought mine at sportswarehouse for 100.00

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    I like my Nikon travelite v 10x25 I bought mine at sportswarehouse for 100.00
    I have a set of Zeiss 10X25 but they are spendy little critters.

On the other side of the coin are the Tasco at Sports Warehouse that are 11 bucks. Yeah, eleven dollars. For 10X25's. Crazy. I picked up a set for the car at that price, and, they're optics aren't great but they are light, small, and comfy to use. They also sell a 8X20 or so too. Even come in a small soft case.

-Brian in SLC

Pocket binos just don't perform unless you want to spend some $$ everyone is different in their needs but if you want something that is worth buying you will have to spend some $$ IMHO. I can personally recommend the nikon LXL or LX 10x25 or 8x20. Leica and nikon currently make the two best pocket binos on the market with nikon costing less and just as good IMHO. If you watch ebay you might find a good deal on the Nikons 2-300$ Leica will cost more maybe 4-500$ I see someone has mentioned the zeiss while they do make excellent full size binos they are a little behind in the pocket binos department same with swarovski. The Swaro's and Zeiss are still excellent binos they are jsut not up to par with the other two and cost more or just as much.

I will say this about spending the extra cash on any of the top four you will not regret it and they will last a lifetime. Nikon offers a 25 year no fault warranty which means if you ruin them they will replace them for 10$. I have used this once No questioned asked just a new set of binos 2 weeks later can't beat that!!

If you are not wanting pocket binos than there are alot more options out there. I would highly recommend checking out an optics site like birdforum.net,
    opticsplanet.com, opticstalk.com try those sites and use the search option tons of info. or PM me and I will try to do my best to help you out.

Thanks for the great info everyone.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Look for a monocular, its light and should do what you want.

I just ordered one off of Amazon, I ordered some other stuff and got free shipping.

It has not arrived but this is the one I ordered:

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=315

It is not too powerful but very light 1.8 OZ and tiny, and light is what I am looking for.

Re: Binoculars?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    I'm looking for a pair of binoculars to use during hiking and backpacking. I want something that will allow me to watch wildlife and to find indian ruins without being too bulky. Any suggestions? What do you use?
    I use THIS 'cuz it weighs so little...

Let us know what you decide on and how well it works.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum