Thread: Small Backpacks for Tight Slots

Small Backpacks for Tight Slots

Has anyone used the Imlay Leprechaun Pack? If so what canyons has it survived, and anything else you care to mention in regards to durability. Is the zipper well protected? Worth the $60? I'd imagine putting a canyon keg in the pack would shred it in the slot. Any comments?

Any other small pack recomendations?

Trying to find something that will work for more than a few tight slot canyons.

Bruce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Small Backpacks for Tight Slots

Quote Originally Posted by neumannbruce
    Has anyone used the Imlay Leprechaun Pack? If so what canyons has it survived, and anything else you care to mention in regards to durability. Is the zipper well protected? Worth the $60? I'd imagine putting a canyon keg in the pack would shred it in the slot. Any comments?

Bruce
    Yep, the Leprechaun is your pack. Not sure the specs, per se, but it is very tough, designed for super tight stuff. Also has a nice sideways handle to aid in carrying through the slot, so the handle won't twist. Not sure how well a keg fits in it though.

We used a couple this weekend for Shimrock and Shenanigans.

I had a small keg in there no problem, but it did not go thru a tight slot. I'm pretty sure it should do ok, because it is a small pack. I hear/seen that Ram use his alot in tighter slots.

The Imlay Lep is tops, but I've quit using kegs in the really tight slots - they wedge the pack too easily. Imlay Lep has several nice features such as inside watertank sleeve, zippered doo-dad pocket, and carry handle. Comfy and slim.

If durability tops your priorities and you don't mind doing without the features and comfort of the Imlay Leprechaun, the most durable pack set-up I've used is the Petzl Classique combined with a 1/4" closed cell foam liner. I've dragged the same Classique through the skinnies for 6 years now and still going. Note that this pack has no waistbelt, pockets or whistles; it's just a cylinder with shoulder straps, top flap, and a built-in tether. Comfort not its strong suit.

I really liked your setup on our recent trip, Hank. In fact, after I returned, I searched for your pack but found the Alcanadre instead of the Classique. Other than the size (37 vs 22 liters) and mesh sides, what are the other differences? Any other thoughts on the two?

Brent

[edit] Just saw the Artuby on Petzl.com. Looks like a nice bag, as well. Not as big as the Alcanadre. [/edit]

well ... i am won over by the leprechaun ... i might even go as far to say that i am smitten

considering the fact that it is specifically designed for *tight* slots, the quintessential example of which is middle leprechaun, you're not going to go wrong with this pack.

when i first got this pack i wondered how frequently i'd use it. it turns out i use it quite a bit. i have had no issues with the zippers and it is quite durable. more than half of the slots i have taken it through are quite the belt-sander kind and it's held up quite well. it's capable of fitting more than you might(?) expect too. it feels great on long hikes ... and it's relatively light when wet, compared with larger packs. this is were non-saturating materials naturally are useful.

i even find it's reasonable to take the lep on longer approaches in wet canyons which don't required extensive gear. i strap my wetsuit on the outside ... still comfortable. it was a pleasure to use doing a full neon from the uppermost slots and choprock slot.

another nice feature is the orientation of the handle-strap on top. rotated 90

Two comments:

1. I carried the leg into Choprock last year and had my lunch, 1 liter bottle and my full 7/5mm in the pack! However, you must be careful how you pack it as anything hard that is touching the packs size tends to severely test the cordura material and holes can be created.

2. I love Hank's packing technique. Throw everything into the bag and if you need something dump it all out on the rock. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    Two comments:

2. I love Hank's packing technique. Throw everything into the bag and if you need something dump it all out on the rock. LOL
    Hey, I'm getting better - started using ditty bags to organize. Still do a dump every now and then...

An acquaintance of mine makes these packs:

http://www.swaygogear.com/gear.htm

for caving. Haven't tried 'em yet, but they look interesting.

Love the leprechaun. Strap the wetsuit on the outside if needed. I don't bring a harness any more when i am doing leprechaun pack canyons, just use a couple of double length slings to make a variation of the swiss seat that is surprisingly comfortable. Hard objects within rubbing on hard rock without will create holes in the pack, I prefer small dry bags with the leprechaun pack over kegs. They're also less likely to jam in constrictions below you while stemming. A few inches of width or a few pounds make a big difference in difficulty in tight canyons. The leprechaun is my pack of choice outside of Zion -- if I can get away with using it.

PS I've used it in all sorts of slots in Powell, North Wash, Escalante, and the Roost-- from rap and swim to slots on the narrowest and hardest range of R. Basically, I use it for everything when I don't need to carry a big rope and multiple wetsuits.

Thanks for everyone

My buddy Jonas has been using the Leprechaun for a while, and really likes it. From what I've seen, it looks pretty durable. I don't remember it having mesh sides though; I think his is solid material all the way around. Maybe the design changed since then.

I'd recommend against a keg in skinnies. The more solid of an object, the more abrasion you will hit. If it scrapes on the area where an edge of the keg is, it will wear through MUCH faster than normal. Use a small drybag if necessary, and try to keep softer items on the outside so you don't wear through as quickly.

I've used a pack like the one Hank pointed out (don't think it was called the "classique" at the time, but it's definitely quite similar.) No hip belt, just a tube with two shoulder straps. I concur with Hank. I've taken it through some pretty abusive situations in caving and canyons; and it's held up well. Note that I do try to pack it effectively though so YMMV. I also concur that it pretty much sucks for comfort; but I can live with that...

Take care,
    A.J.

Has anybody ever used "PlastiDip?" http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I just sprayed a bunch on my new pack, it looks like it'll hold up pretty well, but I haven't had a chance to try it out in the slots yet. It was 5 bucks for the spray on can and about 1/2 a can covered the bottom of my pack in a decently thick rubber coating.

PlastiDip

PlastiDip is where it is at, it has been used for years on walls for things like haul bags. I personally prefer the "liquid" over they spray, it can be thinned and painted where you want it.

I normally use it on the seams of everything, but it can be put any where, even thinned and painted on the seat or knees of your pants.

EW