Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home invasion gone bad........

Variety of sources. News (yes the normal news), I've spoken to several people who had first hand experiences with using a firearm for protection...Oh and Right Wing Nut Job Gazette...Conservative wacko Times...

You know us crazy conservatives. Always reading biased news articles and believing stories that aren't true.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Variety of sources. News (yes the normal news), I've spoken to several people who had first hand experiences with using a firearm for protection...Oh and Right Wing Nut Job Gazette...Conservative wacko Times...

You know us crazy conservatives. Always reading biased news articles and believing stories that aren't true.
    I really just want to read some verified stories about this. I think it is an interesting phenomenon in our society. If you can direct me where to look for such tales, that would be awesome. :-)

I'll have to see what I can dig up. I don't save the stories when I read them. I just see them as I peruse the news, talk to people etc. I know there was one last year (if I remember right) here in Utah, where a guy tried to hijack a the car of a CCP holder. The CCP holder brandished his firearm and I don't remember if he held the guy until the cops showed up, or the guy took off. But either way, a crime was prevented.

Our own Rev. Coyote had his own experience with using a firearm to confront an invader. Perhaps he could elaborate on his experience?
    Not too long ago, I confronted an intruder with a shotgun. Worked quite nicely. --Rev. Coyote
    My dad when he was dating my mom brandished a revolver to scare off some wouldbe attackers.

I also have several friends and family in law enforcment and hear incidents from them.

IOur own Rev. Coyote had his own experience with using a firearm to confront an invader. Perhaps he could elaborate on his experience?
    Guy showed up at the wrong time of night, sneaking around the yard. We lived back in the woods. I got a short barrelled 16. ga, and met him just as his hand touched the door handle. The muzzle under his nose and a whiff of Hoppes #9 sent him running off.

Quick, easy. I had a round chambered and did not freak out and blow his face off. Had he not run, though, I think we'd have had to call The Wolf.

Winston Wolf.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

As coincidence would have it, here's a recent story in OK, and one in FL
    http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=6472700
    Pistol packin' grandma stops robbery attempt at her liquor store

LAWTON-- Criminals listen up. You might want to think twice before messing with one pistol-packin' grandma. A couple of would-be-robbers found out the hard way when they tried to hold up a west Lawton liquor store. What they didn't know was that the owner, 75-year-old Rosemarie O'Keeffe, was waiting for them-- armed with a gun and ready to pull the trigger. It seems they changed their minds pretty quickly when they realized they were staring down the barrel of her pistol.

O'Keeffe says she just did what she had to do to protect herself and her business. She was behind the register at her liquor store this week, when she saw something that didn't look right. Two men wearing hoodies, with gauze bandages over their faces walking up to her store. "It really made me think an ancient mummy, the way he was covered up, so you know he wasn't doing anything good."

O'Keeffe says it happened very quick. She could see out of the window from her register, saw the two guys walk by, and by the time they got to the door, she had a surprise for them.

"I said, 'Oh my God he's going to rob me. What do I do?' I get up. I grab my gun and I point it at the door. He came in and I said, 'Get out or I'll shoot'."

She wasn't joking. That was all the two masked men needed to see. O'Keeffe says they immediately high-tailed it out the door and ran away through the alley.

"I had them all in my view. I could have shot them. I could have killed them both."

O'Keeffe says her sons taught her how to use a gun, and when she told them what had happened, they couldn't have been prouder. So, is her daughter-in-law Pam Dobbs. "She takes no bull," Dobbs said. "We really need that in today's society. Our society has gotten meaner, so I wasn't a bit surprised because she's very tough."

Believe it or not, this is the second time O'Keeffe has stopped a robber. She says a couple of years ago, she chased another man off with a whiskey bottle. She says she was going to beat him with it.

So far police have not arrested the two men in the most recent robbery attempt. O'Keeffe believes they were likely in their late teens.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI47276/
    Jewelry heist turns into shootout

Related Links
    Video: Jewelry heist turns into shooutout
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) -- Police plan to release the surveillance video of a jewelry heist that turned bad for two would-be robbers when the store's owner shot and critically wounded them.

Police arrested one of the suspects at Bentley's Jewelry Store, located at 2750 Oakland Park Blvd., who rescue crews later transported to the hospital in critical condition.

The other wounded suspect took off in a silver sports utility vehicle, but police caught him after he only traveled a few miles away. He was headed westbound towards Andrews Avenue with two flat tires when police captured him.

One of the suspects received a bullet wound to his head while the other caught several shots in the chest.

Rescue crews transported both to the hospital in critical condition. Police have not released their names or conditions.

None of the store's employees were hurt.

(Copyright 2007 by The Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

I'd be calling BS on this anyways. There's just something about that statement saying that an 11yr old girl shooting off 2 rounds of 12 buckshot in succession with fairly accurate precision that just makes my eyes roll. First time I ever shot a 12, I was 12 and it knocked me around. As a scout master, I've seen many 12 year olds get knocked around by 12's. And from a kneeling position?

Just too many eye-rolling details...

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon

I really just want to read some verified stories about this. I think it is an interesting phenomenon in our society. If you can direct me where to look for such tales, that would be awesome. :-)
    Trolley Square?
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

I'd count that, but some might not because he was a cop.

20/20 special recently. I haven't seen the whole thing yet. But Stossel gives some facts on this subject.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3EdeH5PBjU
    He mentions studies that show defensive use of guns occurs at least 700,000 times a year.

More video clips from his special
    http://tinyurl.com/32oe5c

Another one from last month. See what happens when I'm bored at work on a friday?

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/disp...concealed.html

[quote]Man with concealed-carry permit kills robbery suspect in Cleveland
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:30 AM

Associated Press
    CLEVELAND

From the first oone, "Wilbur Carson, 61, shot and killed intruder Wilbur Copeland, 42, in a home in the 3100 block of North Park Avenue at 11:27 p.m., Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Sgt. Matthew Mount said."

Now how often does a Wilbur shoot a Wilbur?
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Figured we'd continue this thread under the shooting forum
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63674#63674