Thread: Deseret Peak

Deseret Peak

I have a goal to bag at least 3 high points this summer and I was thinking of making Deseret Peak my first victim. Since I'm scheduled to work memorial day weekend including Monday , I have Friday the 25th and Tuesday the 29th off. I was thinking of making the attempt on one of these days. If anyone is interested in tagging along I could use some company.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was going to suggest you post in this fourm too. Good to see you have.

What other peak do you plan on bagging this year?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I would like to climb Mt Nebo in July and a 13ner or two in the Uintas probably in August. I made a previous post about doing the Emmons Kings ridge line but I didn't find anybody interested in that. I'm not sure what other hikes I'll do. It depends on how busey I am.

I'm planning on climbing deseret peak on tuesday may 29th if anyones interested in coming. There may be snow but I'll go as far as I can. I hope I'm not going it alone but I will if no one else can go. I want to get an early start. I'm leaveing my home in sandy at 6 am. I' ve done some research and I expect it to be at least 6 hours round trip but probably more. Reply to this thread or PM me if you want to come.

My ex is out of town, so I won't be able to make it. Maybe on your next highpoint adventure.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Speaking of Deseret Peak...saw this on the news last night...

-Brian in SLC

Missing hikers are found alive
    By Jason Bergreen
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 06/01/2007 01:38:02 AM MDT

Two hikers missing in the Stansbury Mountains since Wednesday were found alive late Thursday afternoon.
    Daniel C. Baird, 25, and his father-in-law, 49-year-old Jeffrey Davis, were found by two search and rescue hikers with the Tooele County Sheriff's Office and a Department of Public Safety helicopter about 5:30 p.m. at the bottom of Spring Creek Canyon.
    Baird had suffered a fracture of his left arm and was transported by helicopter out of the canyon about 6 p.m. Davis was flown out a few minutes later in good condition, said Sheriff Frank Park.
    The men left Stockton on Wednesday morning to hike in the Deseret Peak Wilderness Area near Grantsville, the Tooele County Sheriff's Office said. They reached the summit of Deseret Peak about 12:30 p.m., when Davis telephoned his wife. He told her they traveled through a deep snow field and planned to hike a different route down the mountain.
    The men started north but ran into another snow field, Park said. That's where Baird slipped several yards down a snow chute and fractured his arm on a rock trying to stop himself and protect his head, Park said. He also suffered a serious ankle sprain.
    When they didn't return home, Davis' wife reported the men missing at 8 p.m. Wednesday. The men had made a fire and decided to spend the night. The men were unable to call out because cell phone service in the area was spotty, Frank said.
    "They indicated the night wasn't really a major problem," Frank said.
    On Thursday, Baird and Davis went west toward Dell Ranch until rescuers found them at the bottom of the canyon on the west side of the Stansbury range, northwest of where Davis had called his wife earlier.
    Paramedics treated and released both men. Baird's wife took him to a local hospital for treatment of his injuries, Park said.