Thread: mineral canyon, south fork

mineral canyon, south fork

This past Tuesday I did a short hike in the South Fork of Mineral Canyon which runs somewhat parallel to Mineral Bottom Rd off of Rt 313. Don't believe I've ever encountered some a cantilevered rock formation as pictured below. Most be at least 15 feet of extension. Shade providing, yes, yet a bit nerve wracking to stand under.

Probably hiked a total length of 1.5 miles within the canyon. In that short distance saw a total of 7 arches including a very delicate one at the entry point down into the fork. Apparently, there also was a natural bridge just up canyon from Mineral Canyon Arch, however, assuming I was at the right place, that bridge has collapsed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Whoah thats kewl! At first, before seeing the pictures, I thought you were talking about mineral fork up big cottonwood canyon.

Same here.

So where is this canyon?

Near Moab. Heading north out of town on US 191, turn left onto Utah 313 and continue for another 13 miles turning right onto Mineral Bottom Rd.

There are a variety of ways to access the canyon. Fran Barnes as well as Chris Moore have descriptions in their books. Directions can also be found here:

http://www.archmillennium.net/Mineral_Canyon_Arch.htm

I happened to drive 4.4 miles down Mineral Bottom Rd and parked at a borrow site on the left side of the road next to a yellow sign (sign not readily visible from the main road). Across Mineral Bottom Rd I followed a track to its end (perhaps a 1/4 mile). This track or road appears to continue in a straight line fashion on the other side of the canyon. I followed in that general direction for an additional 1/4 mile turning right when I reached the rim and eventually followed cairns that led me steeply to the bottom and past the just below the rim arch (photos below).

A few minutes down canyon from this entry/entrance is a rubble slope that can also be used as an entry/exit. It is just upcanyon from where a fence can be seen on the north side rim.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm not familiar with Fran Barnes book. What is it?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    I'm not familiar with Fran Barnes book. What is it?
    before michael r. kelsey, there was fran a. barnes:

http://www.flameskimmers.com/memoriam.php

he wrote many many books on southeastern utah.

U of U Library: F.A. Barnes
    Canyon Country Publishers: F.A. Barnes

lot's a good stuff. i have a few. definitely worth looking into since you live there.

I wasn't aware that Mr. Barnes had passed on. His Canyon Country Hiking and Natural History (with Sketches by Jim Stiles) was the first Utah guidebook I acquired. I used it regularly in the 80's.

That guidebook didn't cover the Maze. I believe I learned of that area from a long defunct adventure magazine. Upon returning for a second time I recall a ranger telling the permit seekers in front of me that everytime Backpacker Magazine puts Canyonlands on the cover long lines of hikers are sure to follow.

Another take on guidebooks:

http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=1258

Anyway, the specific book to which I was referring in regards to the Mineral Canyon hike is entitled:

Moab Country Day Hikes by Fran & Terby Barnes (Number 43 of a series).

I spent the last week of April hiking in the Moab area. Other than Pritchett Canyon and over at Corona Arch, I saw few folks on the trails or few footprints for that matter although the ones leading to Covert Arch were helpful.

thanks ... i hadn't seen this article before, but enjoyed it very much

we are certainly at the beginning of the end. i've wrestled with this issue for a while now ... i think i am at the point where i believe that some should be revealed, so that people can enjoy and, moreover, be motivated to protect it. but by no means should most of it be revealed. a line should be drawn and discovery preserved. fortunately there is vast acreage on the colorado plateau describe by no guidebook in which one can easily backpack to for 20 days or more. i hope it stays that way. fortunately kelsey backpacks only seldomly.