Thread: White Roost and Mindbender

White Roost and Mindbender

It was my first time in the roost; I just got home and already want to go back!

I drove in on Monday morning and didn't see a soul. I went and did the main fork of White Roost before meeting up with my partner Mike for the "weekend." It was pretty fun, but setting up the raps made me a little grumpy because it was pretty tight and hard to move around, other than that, awesome canyon, and I finally got wet!

I met up with Mike that evening at the Moki campsite, what a view!!!! We woke up pretty early and set off for Mindbender. It had a bit of water in it and was really fun, the anchor for the 2ndish rap was a bit tricky and we ended up burying a "stick" and making an invisible anchor! The big rap at the end was great, except some asswipe put in two bolts. We built a deadman anyway and it obviously worked fine The hike out was neat and the Moki exit was fun. All in all, it was lots of fun, I felt like a little kid I was having so much fun. Her are the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images                  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

are you kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

someone placed BOLTS in MINDBENDER?!

MADBOLTCHOPPER, i guess you'll have to chop them!

anyhow ... nice photos and report. thanks for the info.

in robbers roost, like almost ALL areas of utah, the consensus of the canyoneering community is to practice a NO-BOLT ethic, as these areas lends themselves to natural anchors. the final drop in mindbender, in general, is NOT an exception.

this is probably an apt time to point out an editorial by tom jones on bolting, which even has an allusion to mindbender

Editorial on Bolting ~ by Tom Jones

Nice report and photos. Very impressive to those of us who wouldn't hang from that rope, no matter how big the pile of rocks.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

i kinda think of the bolting thing like climbers do, if you need to place bolts where others did not, it is over your head and you should go somewhere that matches your skill level

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    i kinda think of the bolting thing like climbers do, if you need to place bolts where others did not, it is over your head and you should go somewhere that matches your skill level
    exactly ... bring your skills up to the level of the canyon ... not the canyon down to the level of your skills

Great pics and report, thanks. I wonder when those bolts were placed?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Awesome TR! We Salute You!

Nice pics. You should really invest in some rope bags, your just asking for trouble carrying the rope around your neck, I know I've done it on a couple of canyons. Also, pic 029, what kind of setup is that? Is that your rope buried in the sand? With your webbing? Was it a fixed rope?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    if you need to place bolts where others did not, it is over your head and you should go somewhere that matches your skill level
    Good Call