Thread: BP Trip Grandaddy Basin 13-15 Jul 07

BP Trip Grandaddy Basin 13-15 Jul 07

Ok here goes. Since I was pushed into being BP Co-Ordinator, LOL I'm going to pick Grandaddy Basin for the first BP trip of the year. I hear this is an amazing place, lots and lots of lakes, but it is popular. The trip I'm planning includes a 16 mile loop, and we should visit about nine lakes. Early Friday we will BP in a few miles and the plan is to camp at Governor Dern Lake. Saturday we can do some dayhikes to nearby lakes, that is if people want to, I do. We will then hike out Sunday morning. If people want to, we can stop some where to eat on the way home. If you are interested in going along, post here and/or e-mail me at j.styrnol@att.net. We/I can setup carpooling as need be.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think I'll be out of town! darn! I"m doing a river trip in Montana from the 6th thru the 13th, otherwise I'd love to go - I havent been up in that area yet either and hear it's awesome.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I will mark this on my calendar. I have been itching to head up that way ever since I saw a few pictures. It looked awesome. Hopefully nothing comes up that weekend.

Any other takers?

Chalk me up as "tentative". July is a busy month, but since it's only 3 days, I should be good.

Even though I can't make it, (in alaska that week) I would like to post a thank you for organizing such an event. I would go if I could

Also, thanks for the invitation and the organization. I won't be able to attend either.

Well I am still planning on it. I can't wait. There may be another person or two with me, if that is ok. I thought that Somebeech would be interested in this, he has been wanting to head up there.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    I thought that Somebeech would be interested in this, he has been wanting to head up there.
    I'd love to go, but I don't know if the timeframe will work for me. I may be planning something in late august.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Well I am still planning on it. I can't wait. There may be another person or two with me, if that is ok. I thought that Somebeech would be interested in this, he has been wanting to head up there.
    Sounds good. I will take a tally when it get's closer.

My July opened up so I'm in for sure.

I was up there last year, and it was very, very busy, but I went back to a lake with no trail (1/2 mile off the trail) and had the whole place to myself and caught a lot of fish. The lakes near the trail are not very good fishing I found.

The rangers patrol up in the Grandaddy area like crazy. I talked to two rangers on the trail and when I got to my secret lake, there was a ranger destroying the campsites. All three of them quizzed me on the rules of the Wilderness area and then after my camp was set up, the last ranger came and measured to make sure I was 200 feet from the lake, and approved my camp spot. They enforce the "no fires within a 1/4 rule" the most.

On the way out I passed 6 more rangers (3 were on trail duty) and when I got back to the trail head (Grandview), a ranger approached me and quizzed me again.

I am very happy to see that kind of attention up in that area because it is a nice area and a lot of people were abusing it. I don't think it is as neat as something along the spine of the mountains but worth the visit. They are trying to close Grandview Trail head so it won't be accessed as easily.

Just thought I would give you a heads up, and have fun.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Edit:

Wife ruined plans with her family reunion. We all know where I would rather be, but I'd better be a good husband and play like I'm interested in my in-laws.

Anyone else want to go? Final preparations are being made.