Thread: Mirror Lake Scenic Drive

Mirror Lake Scenic Drive

I've only been up there in summer, but am thinking of driving it today or tomorrow. Has anyone been there recently? What are the current conditions? How much snow will there be on trails?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't been there recently, but unless things have changed, the road is always closed until Memorial Day weekend (light snow years). In heavy snow years, it doesn't open until early July.

There will always be snow in the higher elevation in May, no matter what the year. Keep in mind that at higher elevations, the deepest snowpack of the year is usually between March and May.

Lower elevations often melt out in May in dry years. If heading for the area, the Yellowpine Trail is the first in that region to melt out. It will be the best bet if you aren't looking to use snowshoes.

Another strategy is to hike in the morning when the snow is frozen. Afternoon usually has postholing.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks. I was hoping the road would be open early this year, due to light snow fall.
    Stan

You could always call the Ranger Station. Will also agree with Scott, usually not opened until memorial day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    You could always call the Ranger Station. Will also agree with Scott, usually not opened until memorial day.
    Thanks. I just did what I should have done first: checked the DOT website. Highway 150 is closed until further notice.
    Stan

I called the Rnager station last week inquiring about the conditions of the road and when it would open. I was told the gate was open and you could drive as far as you could get before hitting snow. The lady said the road will not be open all the way through until at least Memorial Day weekend.