Thread: another escalante q

another escalante q

all the talk of watch the heat has me wonderin'...

goign to spend a week in mid june here. looking at average temps it says mid 80's to low 90's is standard fare in the town of escalante. teh benches we plan to camp on are approximately the same elevation as the town. does it get that much hotter out on teh slickrock ? last year i spent 2 wekks between san juan county and teh swell and temps were in the hundred and teens teh first week around bluff. *ugh 2x*. made for sluggish days but not totally intolerable. everyone has there own tolerances. also wonder if anyone has any experience on silver falls, baker or choprock benches other than b-lining for the slots - any water holes at all possible ? or shade ? we want to camp up there and plan on stocking up on water in canyon or at the escalante at the beginning/end of the days, btu a pothole high would be nice to find. and shade could always be found in the tent i guess. inquiring minds want to know !

thanks.
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

does it get that much hotter out on teh slickrock ?
    Usually.

benches we plan to camp on are approximately the same elevation as the town.
    Why camp on a bench at that time of year? I would recommend camping in a well watered canyon. Shade in the form of alcoves and cottonwoods are always available in the well-watered canyons.

shade could always be found in the tent i guess.
    Tents in the sun are always hotter than outside. Try in the 130-140 degree range in the afternoons.

June in the well watered canyons isn't too bad in Escalante. Personally I would avoid camping on the benches unless you absolutely must for some reason, or if it happens to be unusually cool for the time of year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

thanks scott.

we prefer the benches for camping. much more scenic. hate being shut in a canyon ALL day long and prefer teh views of more open country. and your right about the tents being hotter, somehow that totally escaped my mind.
    signature