Thread: Greasewood Draw

Greasewood Draw

Can anyone tell me where this is? I have conflicting info and would like to find it before I leave this area.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I believe that it is the first drainage north of Eardley Canyon in the San Rafael Swell.

Thanks for the replies. I've been told that geodes can be found in that area, but had conflicting info about its location. While I'm always looking for suitable canyons, my wife likes to look for rocks.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    I've been told that geodes can be found in that area
    Let us know if you find anything of interest there. I wouldn't be surprised to find geodes there, but you'll probably only find them well inside (just west of) the San Rafael Reef. I've found some geodes, mostly just small nodules, near the Black Box just west of Mexican Mountain. This page briefly mentions (in the very last sentence) the presence of geodes there.

The geologic map covering the Greasewood Draw area shows the Kaibab Limestone exists in several areas south and east of Cliff Dweller Flat. It also has this to say about that formation:

Kaibab Limestone: Blocky light-gray to cream-colored, locally oolitic, cherty dolomite and limestone, overlying yellow-gray to gray sandstone; generally forms an upper ledge (dolomite and blocky sandstone) and a lower slope (earthy weathering sandstone); locally missing along axis of the San Rafael Swell; contains small chert, quartz, and calcitic geodes locally filled with oil; locally fossiliferous, marine deposit; locally has a sandy, light-brown thin-bedded limestone at the base that reflects a reworking of the underlying Cedar Mesa Sandstone. 0 to 26 meters (0-85 ft) thick.
    Blog | FB

The directions I was given said go west on first road south of Greasewood Draw, stop after about 1 mile and search the small hills. We just got back from looking. Found the road OK, there were some small hills about .5 to .7 mile, found no sign of geodes. Drove to next small hills, about 2 miles in, found no sign of geodes. Guess it wasn't meant to be. At least the road goes parallel to the Reef all the way to I-70, making a nice drive.
    Stan

dose any one know the TH lat. and long for the canyoneering section of this canyon